Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photos from the Bob Paeth Portland Classic

Fletch

Here are the first round of photos from the 39th Annual Bob Paeth Portland Classic Model Car Contest. We started taking in entries at Noon today and closed the doors at 9pm. A total of 311 models were entered today with Friday and Saturday to go. This is the largest show we have had in 10 years.

DSCN2895-vi.jpg

DSCN2925-vi.jpg

DSCN2921-vi.jpg

DSCN2928-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

More photos tomorrow as well as pics from the main show floor.

The link to the Bob Paeth Portland Classic:

http://public.fotki.com/dcfletcher/model-c...aeth-portland-/

The link to the Best of the Best at the Portland Classic:

http://public.fotki.com/dcfletcher/model-c...of-the-best-at/

Edited by Fletch

Here are the first round of photos from the 39th Annual Bob Paeth Portland Classic Model Car Contest. We started taking in entries at Noon today and closed the doors at 9pm. A total of 311 models were entered today with Friday and Saturday to go. This is the largest show we have had in 10 years.

Great to hear! Best of luck for a fabulous show this weekend!

Just finishing up posting the last of the photos from the Bob Paeth Portland Classic the Best of the Best at the Portland Classic. We had entries from all over Oregon and Washington. Jeff Miller, (Hizoot) flew in from Southern Calif. A fantastic modeler by the name of Steven Carpenter drove up from Arizona. And a young man that had just moved from Italy to America brought models in. Three of the builders traveled more then 500 miles to attend the show.

We had 37 entries from 9 builders in the junior category with Trevor Olson from Bend, Oregon taking the Best in Show-Junior Award for his '53 Chopped F-100.

The final total for number of entries was 367 with 6 of them deserving Best in Show honors. After much deliberation it was decided to award Best in Show-Senior to Steven Carpenter for his 1/16th scale Blue Max Funny Car.

The Best of the Best contest was reintroduced this year. Any entry into the Best of the Best had to have won a Best Of at some show sometime. Fir the first year back with this event we had 24 entries that had won everything from Best Paint to Best os Show. A panel of judges examined each entry to find the one build that was the very best of all these previous winners. The judging was based on a 0-25 point scale over 4 different categorizes that included, Engine, Detail/Chassis, Interior, and Finish. When the final numbers were totalled the top 3 builds were 3 points apart with Jeff Millers '40 1/2 Willys Coupe being names the Best Of the Best for 2009.

DSCN3317-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Congratulations to all the winners.

Hope to see you all back next Year.

Dave,

As I've said before both you & your club(s) SABA were great host..! Add meeting the Paeth family, including his lovely wife Jan & well, that made it perfect. I could have not had any more fun if I tried. Not just the honor of winning a big award but meeting so many good modelers with wide tastes, made the show an experience I will not soon forget..!

So now I offer a small peek into my view of the Portland roadster show & the model car contest;

BobsRevellion.jpg

It has to begin here, Bob's build & this model car show. The reason I went was to learn more about this man & the legacy he'll leave behind. Thanks to Dave(s), Ron, the Paeth family & the creative memebers of their club, I was able to learn so much more than I ever dreamed of & I can't thank you enough..!

59ElkyRatRod.jpg

Speaking of "creative members" this 59 rat was just one of many unusual builds to be found :

PRS32Chevy.jpg

The Portland Roadster show is the perfect venue for this contest, as this rare 32 Chevy roadster proves;

TwinBlowers.jpg

I don't know much about "Octymom" but I did spot a couple of nice twins..!

32Hemi.jpg

Loved this in Pomona / love it in Portland..!

PRSWillys2.jpg

Kustom Willys roadster, a major player IMHO.

Like most trips, this was NOT cheap but if you find yourself wanting to learn more about Bob Paeth & or see a great car/model show while meeting some fine people, then you will want to check this out.. Thanks again Fletch & BTW it's ok to give Miss Portland 2008 (the trophy girl) my phone number..!

Hizoot :lol:

Jeff, it was a pleasure to have you join us for the first major event after Bob's death. As you no doubt found out during your stay Bob was instrumental in establishing SABA and was the driving force behind the Portland Roadster Show Model Car Contest. Bob's death was a shock to us all. He left a legacy for us to carry on. Without him I have serious doubts that we would have the model car culture in Portland that we do. To have you and others from around the world attend the show this past weekend attests to the influence bob had on our hobby.

I thank you for your kind word and I will pass them along to the club members as we go through the debrief process this next weekend. Rest assured that the legacy and insanity that was Bob Paeth is alive and well in Portland.

It goes without saying my friend that we will welcome you back anytime you want to visit. The next time we're in SoCal we'll be in touch.

Dave