Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Mustang fastback - Year One replica

Work is progressing on the Year One Mustang, albeit not as fast as I would like. Progress will probably slow down as work is going to get busy for the next month or so.

Over the weekend, I cleared the Mustang body with Tamiya TS-13. I had the day off for Presidents Day (floating holiday at work), so I got some bench time this afternoon. I masked off the front grille surround, side window louvers and rear taillight panel, then I broke out the airbrush and applied several coats of Tamiya flat black acrylic.

DSCN0147-vi.jpg

I made the grille surround from Evergreen styrene to use with the MCG photoetch grille, which will be painted to match.

DSCN0143-vi.jpg

DSCN0139-vi.jpg

Next up is to wetsand and polish the body.

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent a relaxing evening polishing paint? I'm sure that has to be an oxymoron to most of you, but to me, it works. Much like I get when I do BMF, I get in a zone that is incredibly relaxing.

I have had pretty stressful couple of weeks, between annual financial audit and bank change at work and the passing of my 94 year old grandmother. So, after putting in another 12 hour day at work, I decided to hit the bench tonight and polish the Mustang. I used my usual formula of 3600 and 4000 grit Micro Mesh, Wizard's Finish Cut and Meguier's #7 Show Car Glaze. Here's the result of about two hours work.

DSCN0157-vi.jpg

DSCN0158-vi.jpg

I still need to get some nooks and crannies with the #7 on a Q-Tip, but it is now ready for BMF.

Enjoy!!!

Terrific job! From the pictures alone it looks absolutely stunning....I can only imagine what it must look like in person.

I am curious as to what type of bottle you are using as a paint stand, it looks as if it were made just for that purpose.

04139000009p.jpg

I use these Kikkoman soy sauce bottles. I have bought about 10 or 12 of them over the years. They have a flat sturdy bottom and I use masking tape to attach the body. It fits well in your hand and is easy to rotate while you paint. You can also use that "sticky tack" stuff to attach small parts for painting too. Very versatile.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of hours to myself Friday evening and I was feeling good, so I found the workbench and did some BMF work on the Mustang. I still lack the door handles and the passenger side door and window trim. Here's how it looks today.

DSCN0159-vi.jpg

DSCN0160-vi.jpg

I keep plugging away an hour of so here and there when I feel like it. I've been so busy with work that I've been too tired to do much.

Enjoy!!!

• 1 year later...

After a 15 month hiatus, this one is back on the bench. I started this build nearly SEVEN YEARS AGO and this time I am committed to finishing it. After I finished applying BMF on my '64 Falcon build, I grabbed the Mustang from the shelf and finished applying BMF to it. Then, I added the painted Model Car Garage photoetch grille and installed the chrome headlight buckets that came in the original AMT 1966 Mustang kit.

DSCN0752-vi.jpg

At this time, the Mustang is at the same stage of completion as the '64 Falcon, so the plan is to work on them simultaneously until both are finished. Stay tuned and enjoy the ride!

04139000009p.jpg

I use these Kikkoman soy sauce bottles. I have bought about 10 or 12 of them over the years. They have a flat sturdy bottom and I use masking tape to attach the body. It fits well in your hand and is easy to rotate while you paint. You can also use that "sticky tack" stuff to attach small parts for painting too. Very versatile.

Kudos to you mate! that made me lol!

The carbon fiber work looks pretty intimidating. It turned out nicely. I just looked back at the all the posts and learned from Bob's email that Year One in GA. Now I have to think of an excuse to go out there. It's only about an hour from Atlanta. This is a very cool build. I bought a set of those Pegasus Big and Littles to use on my next build. They look good on the Stang.

The carbon fiber work looks pretty intimidating. It turned out nicely. I just looked back at the all the posts and learned from Bob's email that Year One in GA. Now I have to think of an excuse to go out there. It's only about an hour from Atlanta. This is a very cool build. I bought a set of those Pegasus Big and Littles to use on my next build. They look good on the Stang.

It's 35 mins. from my house on the NE side of Atlanta just outside the perimeter. It's at the Hwy. 53 Braselton exit, aka "Road Atlanta" exit. It's on the right as you exit, you can sort of see it through the trees.

You might think about going up for their big show in Sept. when Foose is there. The Mustang and other cars will likely be there on display.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey the paint and C/F work look great. Hoping you will keep going on this great project going!

Thanks!

I was out of town 10 days for vacation and now I am in the middle of an eight work day stretch of a 100 mile per day round trip to work. Plan to work on it again this weekend, so watch for more updates.

• 1 month later...

That's jus commin out NICE there Marc! It's lookin pretty much like the real deal Daddy-O. Not being able to find a reasonably priced one, I just took the rear quarters from the coupe and modded them to fit the Altered Mustang street freak kit. turned out pretty good, I did hafta use a modded 68 Shelby interior on it, but hey, if you don't look real close you can't tell it's a 68 interior. I like the dash gauges, they came out GREAT! :D;)