Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Edsel - - W.I.P.

Ramfins59

Thanks again for all the great comments everyone.

Christopher, no I don't have an airbrush. To me they are like too much extra work, plus I'd have to get a decent compressor, etc. It's easier and quicker for me to just use rattle cans. Like I said though, I'm DONE with the Testors One Coat paints and will stick with Duplicolor which never lets me down (so far anyway...).

Johnny, tell your wife that if you could spend 4 to 5 hours each day at your workbench, you too could probably knock them out quicker too.

Good for you Troy. It's great being able to spend all the time you need or want to at the workbench.

You're right Bob, it won't be too long and it will be time for the BMF chores... and yes I will be using the Optivisor. No need to test it... it works GREAT..!!

John, stick around man. Here are pictures of the finished interior that I put together today. Yeah I'm thinking that I'll probably be bringing it to the NNL along with about 6 other models that I've finished since last years NNL. You've GOT to finish SOMETHING to show at the NNL John...!!!

Thanks a lot Harry. Thanks to the Optivisor I was able to do a pretty decent job on it.

Thank you Codie.

OK gang, here are pics of the completed interior...

FINISHEDINTERIOR11024x763_zps8d50aff6.jp

FINISHEDINTERIOR21024x653_zpsa63f3e29.jp

Now I'm just waiting for the White paint to fully dry on the body so I can mask it off and shoot the Green. All the paint work should be done by this weekend. We're supposed to be having nice, 50 degree weather here Saturday and Sunday so I have my fingers crossed for good painting weather.

Edited by Ramfins59

Nice!!!!! Like I said, always a treat!

I've been having such a hard time getting back into it...... I have a million ideas and a separate well stocked hobby room, and I can't get started. And here's the punch line: I'm still buying stuff.

Geeeez......

Thanks John and Dan. I've been lovin' doing model interiors for almost 18 years. I learned the use of flocking from a LIARS Club member named Ron Minn. Ron used to say that you can't use more than one color of flocking or the colors will run together. I proved him wrong many times.

I always try to get good reference pictures by Googling the particular car I'm working on, unless I'm doing a Custom or a Street Rod, then I just go with what I think looks good together. Obviously you have to do all your painting and BMF work on the interiors BEFORE applying the flocking, and of course let the paint fully dry first.

Thank you James. I appreciate your encouraging words. I'll be spraying the Green on the body this weekend. Looks like I'm close to the home stretch on this build.

I'm ready to start the NEXT one in line for '58. I received an IMEX '58 Caddy in a Trade with Forum member Dan Helferich. I'll most likely be checking that out while waiting for the paint to dry on the Edsel.

I got the Edsel body in paint today with the Duplicolor Dark Green Metallic. Tomorrow I'll peel off the masking tape (Frog Tape... great stuff..!!) from the roof and side coves and hopefully there won't be any touchups needed. Then I can put on a clearcoat and give that a day or two to dry and do any needed polishing.

58EDSELPAINTEDGREEN1024x731_zps882a3f4e.

Of course, after I painted the body on the Edsel I had nothing to do so I tore open the '58 Cadillac Eldorado kit that I got in a trade from Dan Helferich and started in on that. You can see that in a NEW W.I.P. I started...!!! I am just whippin' them out these days...

Hey John. The paint came out nice..!! The 2 Tone Dark Green and Arctic White looks really good. Only one small spot needed a touch up. I'm still polishing out the clearcoat and then I'll do the BMF work. If I get it all done quickly enough I should be able to post some more pics tomorrow.

Looks really good. That interior looks warm and fuzzy comfortable. This could be the first black Edsel I've seen . nice!

Yeah, when Rich does an interior it always looks inviting! But at the risk of being publicly flogged, I have to correct you as Richs car is green. There's a black Edsel in another thread that's almost done though.....

How's it coming Rich? We almost there yet?