Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about where to post.

I have noticed that several times I have seen a post moved from one section to another. I have miss posted a couple of times myself. I totally understand that there are sections where certian builds belong but would like a clairification about something please. I know there is a place for drag cars and a place for large scale builds. I notice that there are several large scale builds in the drag section. My question I guess is what would be the over riding aspect that would determine which section is correct or is either correct in this case ? Thanks

Yeah, we still have a few problems here. A large-scale drag model, for example, could go either in Drag or in Big Boyz.

I personally don't like having a separate Drag and NASCAR section at all, I'd rather just have one new "Competition" category with sub-categories for straight line (drag) and all the rest (NASCAR, Indy, F1, etc.).

So yes, we have some overlap and vagueness. Most of the time it's pretty obvious where to post what. When in doubt, use your own best judgement. Just try to avoid things like posting a finished model in the Workbench sections or obvious stuff like that.

I personally don't like having a separate Drag and NASCAR section at all, I'd rather just have one new "Competition" category with sub-categories for straight line (drag) and all the rest (NASCAR, Indy, F1, etc.).

Agreed 100%. Some model shows even have them combined as a "Straight Line/Competition" category. I think part of the problem is that there are so many categories here,that some are often overlooked by some people like myself. But, I only post in 6 or 7 sections of the forum.

You are correct. Most people will only go to the categories they enjoy. If they don't enjoy what you have posted why should they be expected to look at it?

No, people stay at the top of the board and forget about the categories down lower. For instance, participation is low in the "community" section at the bottom of the page.

Newer posters haven't figured out the full functionality and get frustrated. I'm pretty well versed in the Internet and boards, but it took me a while to figure all the ins and outs. I found myself reading things over again before I figured out I could click the little star or dot instead of the thread name. Now I found the "View New Content" button so I hit that first when I come onto the board. Other folks get frustrated and don't return.

Although it's good that everything from Day One onward is here as history, it's time consuming to read 20 page plus threads, and a lot of the pictures are gone from older posts. When I've found something I like, I will read the entire thread though.

I also think the categories keep people from posting. I have a build I'd like to post, but don't know which category to post it within. The other board has no categories, the latest posts about anything is at the top. People are free to post any thoughts they may have without worry.

No, people stay at the top of the board and forget about the categories down lower. For instance, participation is low in the "community" section at the bottom of the page.

I don't think anyone can speak for everyone else, but if what you say is true, how do you explain the 162 page long Apocalyptic Community Build topic?

Every forum is different, and has its own ebb and flow. Now, the ebb and flow if this or any other forum may not jive with your or my personal ideas, preferences, and wants, but we all have the option to start our own forum and set it up exactly as we like. Very, very few people will ever do that because it take a lot of time and effort on the creator's behalf, and it's much easier for some people to complain about a forum which someone else took their time, money, and effort to create instead of starting their own. Then of course you need people to visit your forum, sign up, and participate, and you'll need to moderate it while still participating in the discussions, take care of the maintenance...

I have a build I'd like to post, but don't know which category to post it within. The other board has no categories, the latest posts about anything is at the top. People are free to post any thoughts they may have without worry.

The Spotlight Hobbies board is about the worst style message board there is IMHO, but if you like the circa-1994 setup, who am I to try to change your mind. It's one big mass of posts with no categories at all.

If you don't know where to post something, Harry or I are only a PM away. ;)

I don't think anyone can speak for everyone else, but if what you say is true, how do you explain the 162 page long Apocalyptic Community Build topic?

#1 a whole lot of BIG pictures.(a lot of they reposted multiple times as well as some that are no longer showing)

#2 a very limited number of different posters. Most are the same few people.

Edited by Johnny

I agree with Johnny. The posts where people repeat the photos just drive me nuts! It's fairly easy to edit the quote down to what you are commenting on.

I stand by my observation that people start at the top of the board and don't get all the way to the bottom. In fact, I'll bet that there are people who have never scrolled down to the bottom.

The big issue I'm having right now is with a moderator, where upon my civilly stated an opinion, goes off on a tirade "that if I don't like it, I should start my own board". Paid or volunteer, that's not a good way to represent the board owner.

Edited by Tom Geiger

The big issue I'm having right now is with a moderator, where upon my civilly stated an opinion, goes off on a tirade "that if I don't like it, I should start my own board".

I posted a suggestion based on my experience doing exactly what I suggested, and based on your complaints. That's not a tirade, it's a response, and a possible solution to to your complaints. I've been there, done it, and was glad I did.

#1 a whole lot of BIG pictures.(a lot of they reposted multiple times as well as some that are no longer showing)

#2 a very limited number of different posters. Most are the same few people.

OK, let's say half of the posts in that topic are pure fluff, not adding any real value to any member of this forum. Than still leaves 81 pages of people building, sharing, and inspiring others with their building. I'll gladly take people positively participating in this hobby and forum any day, all day, over the opposite.

Gotta love it. Now both moderators have shown up to jump on me.

I posted a suggestion based on my experience doing exactly what I suggested, and based on your complaints. That's not a tirade, it's a response, and a possible solution to to your complaints. I've been there, done it, and was glad I did.

This is the real difference. What I have posted as opinion suddenly becomes "complaints". Nobody asked a moderator to respond at all. The users were having a good exchange until then. Moderators should get involved if there is a board infraction. Not to block the free exchange of ideas.

Edited by Tom Geiger

FotoFlexer_Photo190.jpeg

But what if I don't want it in that place? I think human nature being what it is people will naturally look at the top of the page,board,thread or what ever. With the top subject being "General" what do you expect? I have to agree, sometimes things get buried in other threads down the board. Thus people want them on top where they will get read and receive a response. It's only human nature.

And I don't have a problem with Administrators and Moderators being involved in a thread but seeing them pull rank gets old.

Edited by Greg Myers

Since I started this topic I feel I can safely say we got a little off track. No ? My question was just that, a question. It was not a complaint or critisium of any kind. This forum IMO is the best there is.

You're right, Ray. You posted a good question, and I think Harry answered it.

Gotta love it. Now both moderators have shown up to jump on me.

This is the real difference. What I have posted as opinion suddenly becomes "complaints". Nobody asked a moderator to respond at all. The users were having a good exchange until then. Moderators should get involved if there is a board infraction. Not to block the free exchange of ideas.

So........ moderaters aren't allowed to participate unless theres an infraction by one of the members? Aren't they members also? Isn't it fair that they get the same benefits as any other members? Just sayin.......................

The Spotlight Hobbies board is about the worst style message board there is IMHO, but if you like the circa-1994 setup, who am I to try to change your mind. It's one big mass of posts with no categories at all.

If you don't know where to post something, Harry or I are only a PM away. ;)

One thing about the Spotlight Board is that to see what's new, you merely have to scroll down the page. You don't have to click on "View New Content" and sift through all of that or go through the thirty three different categories that we have here. When you post a build or a question, you don't have to worry about it being moved to another section of the forum. There is no wrong place for a build,question or whatever there. When I was working on my S/S build, Tom Carter (the owner of the board) was the first in line among others to help me get the details right. That would never happen here. Plus, Tom sells models at great prices!