Model Cars Magazine Forum

The rarest AMT truck model?

May be the Kenworth cement mixer.

As far as original-issue AMT truck kits go, the rarest of the breed probably was the Richard Petty Ford LN-series "wedge race car hauler'/Dodge "kit car" modified stocker in Petty #43 trim.

Apparently, AMT tried to slip this one in under Petty Enterprises licensing they had back in the 70's, only to get shut down on it very quickly when Petty Enterprises found out. Only a few thousand kits ever made it into customer hands as AMT Corporation had to do a recall on the kits (Petty was running Olds Cutlass HT's at the time). I have three of the kits, still sealed, as received back in 1977 or 1978 as complimentary kits, for being part of AMT's group of box art model builders.

Art

I agree with Rob.

The Torsion bar suspensioned Kenworth K-125 and W-925, the Transit Mixer and the small window Peterbilt 359 with Detroit Diesel 8V71, both the Wrecker and California Hauler fetches a lot of money nowadays...So does the Tyrone Malone trucks, Super Boss, Papa Truck, Bandag Bandit and Hideout Truck.
Another kit that's a bit hard to find...not true AMT kits but...is the Ertl International Transstar II Eagle with air ride (most of them has Hendrickson Walking Beam) and the Great Dane Reefer Trailer.

As far as original-issue AMT truck kits go, the rarest of the breed probably was the Richard Petty Ford LN-series "wedge race car hauler'/Dodge "kit car" modified stocker in Petty #43 trim.

Apparently, AMT tried to slip this one in under Petty Enterprises licensing they had back in the 70's, only to get shut down on it very quickly when Petty Enterprises found out. Only a few thousand kits ever made it into customer hands as AMT Corporation had to do a recall on the kits (Petty was running Olds Cutlass HT's at the time). I have three of the kits, still sealed, as received back in 1977 or 1978 as complimentary kits, for being part of AMT's group of box art model builders.

Art

Clearly the winner, when it comes to licencing, weather it be by manufacturer or sponsor, if the lawyers are not happy, NO one is happy.

Ap40

The Petty Hauler may be the winner because of the box art and the legal issues but It's been reissued so many times it's a yawner. The KW/Challenger mixer has been only released once. Many of the original other kits mentioned have been modified to make newer kits. Little window pete, Transtar Tyrone Malone etc.The Junk Yard Dog was a joke please don't ever attempt that again.

Well the Ford LN Race Transporter has been re-issued several times and difference between the Petty version and the other ones are only the decals, the Dart kit in the set has also been re-issued and both kits are out right now...that's why I didn't mention it as the kits themselves are not hard to find at all.

The AMT Pete Small Window 359 and the KW W925 and K125 with torsion bar suspension, and the Ertl IH Transstar Eagle II with air ride has been modified a long time ago and I don't think they can be re-issued in their original form.

The KW Challenge Transit Mixer has only been out once...another somewhat hard to get kit is the KW Alaskan Hauler, and as AMT did modify the original W900 tooling to the T600A in the 90's both are not likely to be re-issued without serious re-tooling.

The Tyrone Malone kits then...well the KW K100 Aerodyne has been out a couple of times, it's the transporter body and decals that's missing, but the Super Boss and Bandag Bandit kits hasn't been out since the early 80's.
I believe Round 2 still has the tooling so hopefully they can secure the licensing and re-issue all of them soon.

The KW/Challenge mixer has to be the winner it was basicaly the the w900 kit with different wheels and a mixer body. It's also the reason for the demise of the torsion bar AMT switched to the Hendrickson suspension for the mixer kit. Having only been issued once and the w900 molds probably gone it's likely gone forever. As far as versions of kits go the tournement of thrills C ford and auto hauler is certainly quite rare.

Yup, after what I have seen the Challenge Transit Mixer had torsion bars so it's a true W 925.

But the KW torsion bar suspension was meant to be a lightweight on road suspension so it seems a bit strange on this truck, the Hendrickson Walking Beam is on the other hand the kind of suspension you can expect from a concrete mixer as it's more to the heavy duty side.

So the Hendrickson must have came in at a later time after the Challenge Transit Mixer.

Edited by Force

"Orange Blossom Special" was a 37 Chevy, Not 41!

Meister Brau Tractor has Not been re-issued either.

But, Will either get re-issued now??

They did not sell well then, so.....................

A Pull Sled and other Pull tractors were planned but dropped due to sales figures

of the 3 kits offered. OSB, MB & Tennesse thunder Funny car puller

Was that one offered separately, or only with the LN transporter??

I have only seen the double kit myself.

Pretty sure the mixer ran Torsion bar suspension still not Hendrikson.

The Turbine powered GMC Astro's aren't exactly common either.

My memory could be rusty but still a very rare kit. Perhaps the c ford garbage truck could be considered even rarer considering it never got beyond the box art stage.