Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine

m408

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I consciously read the 14 pages of this thread and found a lot of nice information on this product.

I' am painting miniature for tabletop gaming and not model cars, but, heh, this is all plastic kits we bring to life with paints!

I have a few questions as the Swannys website is missing web pages here and there,

-After reading I believe that it is best to mix Future with food coloring, got it. Can you please advise if mixed with water based acrylic inks / paint it's losing glossiness? (using Vallejo paints)

-Can you use these same acrylic paints to paint over the Future ? (I'm planning on using washes and dry brushing),  I believe so as Future is made out of acrylic, but the glossier the surface the harder it is to re-coat.

same topic: Can I use a matte or semi gloss spray on varnish to seal the overall work ?

-I'm planning on brushing it and I read that a soft brush is recommended to avoid strokes. I think this is what I'm currently using (good snap, spring and paint release) but if you have some more insights...

I found a lot of useful information on this forum and will be checking it back.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Thomas

14 hours ago, Thomas86 said:

Hello all,

I consciously read the 14 pages of this thread and found a lot of nice information on this product.

I' am painting miniature for tabletop gaming and not model cars, but, heh, this is all plastic kits we bring to life with paints!

I have a few questions as the Swannys website is missing web pages here and there,

-After reading I believe that it is best to mix Future with food coloring, got it. Can you please advise if mixed with water based acrylic inks / paint it's losing glossiness? (using Vallejo paints)

-Can you use these same acrylic paints to paint over the Future ? (I'm planning on using washes and dry brushing),  I believe so as Future is made out of acrylic, but the glossier the surface the harder it is to re-coat.

same topic: Can I use a matte or semi gloss spray on varnish to seal the overall work ?

-I'm planning on brushing it and I read that a soft brush is recommended to avoid strokes. I think this is what I'm currently using (good snap, spring and paint release) but if you have some more insights...

I found a lot of useful information on this forum and will be checking it back.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Thomas

Why do you want to mix colors into it? Some may work, others may not. (This is from experience of trying to mix different brands of acrylic paint together.) If the colored paint is flat, and it mixes, it will flatten the combined mixture.

Yes, you can use acrylics over it.

I have seen flat lacquer (Testor's Dullcoat) sprayed over acrylics & Future with no problems, but not enamel. However, I would not spray it on "wet" or heavy. You can, of course, spray any acrylic over it.

I brush it on model race cars that do not need a high gloss finish. Works very well on 1/43 scale cars. It is self leveling so most brush stokes will fade away. Do not go back over an area that has started to dry as that will induce brush strokes. Be care not to force air bubbles into the Future by working too quickly. If you get build up at model edges, wick it away with the edge of a paper towel. If you want high gloss, you need to use regular model clear coats.

I've had very little luck airbrushing Future as it wil sometime bead-up on a glossy surface. Therefore, I only use it that way to seal armor models before applying decals and weathering. Then flat coat afterwards.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply,

I'm planning to mix a coloring agent in it because I want to create a red glaze, the more translucent the better as I want the silver spray paint base coat to show through the mix of Future topcoat. The paints I have are mixing pretty well, I will experiment.

Edit: What product are you using to clean your brushes after using Future? Windex?

I read that it is a liquidy product so I may add some acrylic medium to the mixture to give it more body, I will let you know how that goes. 

Edited by Thomas86

Food coloring works well with it. Remember if you don't like it comes off with ammonia which is safe on everything except Tamiya Acrylics. I have learned to wipe not brush it on.

Dscf7248.jpg

Dcp_6772.jpg

Edited by 935k3

On 8/22/2020 at 1:46 PM, vintagerpm said:

Windex is good. Any amonia-base cleaner. (Note that many Windex competitors do not use amonia.)

Mike

Most grocery stores, in the cleaning supplies section, sell bottled ammonia (plain and lemon scented).  That could be used for stripping Future too.

I bought this at my local Walmart yesterday. It smells like the old Future and when I dipped a windshield it behaved like the old Future.  I don't know why S C Johnson thinks it is good marketing to keep changing the name of a good product, but for now this is The Right Stuff.    Pledge 11182 Revive It Floor Gloss, 27 Ounce, Clear Transparent Liquid

1 hour ago, jacko said:

I bought this at my local Walmart yesterday. It smells like the old Future and when I dipped a windshield it behaved like the old Future.  I don't know why S C Johnson thinks it is good marketing to keep changing the name of a good product, but for now this is The Right Stuff.    Pledge 11182 Revive It Floor Gloss, 27 Ounce, Clear Transparent Liquid

Probably because their marketing people (in some agency which gets paid lots of money to come up with those ideas) think that giving the old stuff new name will make it more marketable (and increase their profits). It is silly to people like you and me, but they think it makes sense.

It is the new generation of marketing people doing this.  Take a plain old Oreo cookie., For many decades, it stayed the same, in the same packaging.  Then they came up with small changes (like double stuff), Not very different from the original. Then  the variety of Oreos exploded, and even got seasonal.   We now probably have way over a dozen varieties of Oreo cookies.  While this is not a direct comparison to the Future's name changes, to point is that in the last few decades, marketing efforts for for most products has expanded exponentially.

I guess in the end we should be glad that they haven't discontinued it. There are many products that I liked and used, which have been discontinued.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/2/2008 at 5:21 PM, MrObsessive said:

Yup, Future is the best when it comes to needing a barrier! I've been using it since '99 when I was doing a '56 to '55 T-bird conversion and wanted to paint it anything but the standard red it was molded in.

I've applied it with an airbrush, keeping the pressure no more than 10-15 psi or so. It can run quickly out of the bottle so when airbrushing, I recommend quick passes!

And as Mark mentioned, I've used it for attaching photoetched parts as an alternative to epoxy and white glues which to me are too messy.

I've not used the Future finish but now that I've seen your reviews I am looking forward to trying it on one of my projects. I have used Varathane brand waterborn clear gloss on my 1/43 car and it gave a very high gloss however it looks almost too plasticy, the semi gloss finish might be a better choice.  I do like to use the clear gloss for vacuum form windows, Future would probably be a good choice too.

STP Indy 1967 sml.jpg

What a vast cornucopia of uses and techniques... You guys have me sold!  H have been heart broken to find my 68 indy STP car has a crackle finish after being finished with tamiya clear coat only to hear later that this was a problem with that product.  Has anyone tried the Future over a crackle surface with good results?

Thanks Guys!

All I've ever used is Future Revive It and unfortunately some of mine crackled. Don't know why. I'm thinking the enamel paints do this because the ones I sprayed with lacquer paint didn't crackle.

Edited by ewetwo

8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

All I've ver used is Future Revive It and unfortunately some of mine crackled. Don't know why. I'm thinking the enamel paints do this because the ones I sprayed with lacquer didn't crackle.

I have had it crack over enamels but I don't use them any more anyway.

• 2 months later...

I remember an old Saturday night live episode with Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner and Chevy Chase for “Shimmer”... a great floor polish and dessert topping. 
 That was back when SNL was actually funny.

Edited by Rick L

• 3 weeks later...

The current project I'm working on will be painted with Ceramcoat Acrylic paint and I plan on trying Pledge Revive it this time around.  The video's I've watched show that it seems to be very compatable with Acrylic paints and lays down a pretty good shine.  Time will tell I guess.  

9 hours ago, Zippi said:

The current project I'm working on will be painted with Ceramcoat Acrylic paint and I plan on trying Pledge Revive it this time around.  The video's I've watched show that it seems to be very compatable with Acrylic paints and lays down a pretty good shine.  Time will tell I guess.  

I'm not surprised since it is a water-based acrylic resin product.