Model Cars Magazine Forum

El Camino Abomination

Oh, I wouldn't say they have no style. They have a different style then what you like, perhaps. There are those of us that actually like modern vehicles and not only tell them all apart but see and appreciate the style in them.

IMHO all the cars from the mid-to-late-70s all look the same: big, square, and ugly!

What does car prices have to do with car styling? It is a personal opinion of a cars apperance, not the value of the car.

Collector car values are a strong indicator of popularity, and perception of appearance is a strong part of of a cars popularity.

Value is only what someone is willing to pay for something.

Edited by Craig Irwin

Here's my opinion of what is wrong with automobile design in the last 50 year.

If it is true that this is going to be the new El Camino, then I'll save my money and buy me a car built before 1970.

59670_10151139690167540_434146952_n.jpg

l think it looks great. They should bring back the elcamino.....

I don't think it is an accident the the "ute" died out at about the same time good compact pickups arrived. I would guess most of their market was for a more comfortable small / midsize truck when trucks were larger very utilitarian things. You can now buy trucks in all sizes equipped nearly as well as the best luxury cars. Utes can not compete with a real truck (even a small one) as a truck, but modern trucks can do the car thing pretty well. The only thing a ute has left to offer is styling and ute styling tends to be of the love it or hate it type.

Edited by Aaronw

I like it, that is a Holden UTE re-badged as a Pontiac

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/ute

I think it looks better then something from the 70's , and better creature comforts ;)

You know, this is 2012, styling from 70's is long gone

Redesigned Holden UTE it is! It's the Pontiac G8 sport truck. No worries about it ever hitting the street since it is a Pontiac...and since we are getting the SS version of the Caprice instead of the Chevelle, I don't ever see it being released as an El Camino.

Edited by Skydime

Oh, I wouldn't say they have no style. They have a different style then what you like, perhaps. There are those of us that actually like modern vehicles and not only tell them all apart but see and appreciate the style in them.

IMHO all the cars from the mid-to-late-70s all look the same: big, square, and ugly!

I tend to agree with your opinion on late 70's vehicles. As far as modern ones, who can tell a chevy from a ford from a toyota anymore. That was'nt a issue in the 50's and 60's for sure. Having said what I did, for some reason I am a little bit drawn to the original subject in question.

Redesigned Holden UTE it is! It's the Pontiac G8 sport truck. No worries about it ever hitting the street since it is a Pontiac...and since we are getting the SS version of the Caprice instead of the Chevelle, I don't ever see it being released as an El Camino.

Actually there is rumour that they may bring over the ute and wagon versions of the Holden that they're basing the SS off of.

They sell the wagon, I'm first in line.

Yes, the cargo area is a lot smaller (about 70 cu. ft. vs. 92.4 for my Roadmaster,) but it would be so nice to have a new, perhaps more of a midsize, but still closer-to-real wagon. It's roughly the G-body wagon or Magnum, minus a couple of grocery bags.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Sorry, but the El Camino itself was an abomination, period. It was supposed to feature all the good features of a car and pickup, but it only had the worst features of both. I know this because I used to own one- a '75... which wasn't one of the El Co's best years, either. (Oh boy, here comes the hate mail...)

If you want a two-seater with a lot of cargo room, get a late model Corvette. Way pricier, sure, but way less rust prone, too.

i like it, looks better than my 1980 elky in the garage. modern styling, performance and fuel mileage is much better than any of the older stuff.........and i like the old stuff. like in a previous post.......this is 2012 and styling from the 50s through the 90s is gone and will not be back, get used to it. B)B)

I tend to agree with your opinion on late 70's vehicles. As far as modern ones, who can tell a chevy from a ford from a toyota anymore. That was'nt a issue in the 50's and 60's for sure. Having said what I did, for some reason I am a little bit drawn to the original subject in question.

Telling the difference between modern vehicles is very, very easy. They're all vastly different. :)