Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Nova SS

i would be lying if i didn't say i am as giddy as a school girl about the Nova!! i have fond but sad memories of my brother's 69 SS396 he had. It was Steel Cities grey, had Crager 5 hole slots. He grenaded the 396 in it, so he and my dad threw a 350 in it. 7 months later, he fell asleep comming home from work and rolled it 2 times over an embankment. My dad nearly knocked his teeth down his throat!!! he parted it out and had a sledgehammer party for the remaining hulk. As for a Ventura or an Apollo.... strange versions, but i'd buy one of each!!!

• 3 weeks later...
just for you rivot counters out there, the stripes on a 69 yenko nova and 69 yenko camaro ARE DIFFERENT!!!!

I'm sure on the 1:1cars, the stripes were slightly different, but in 1/25th scale, they work out just right. I have spent 30 years studying Yenko cars and have more reference material than I could carry.

DSCN0032-vi.jpg

These are Revell Yenko Camaro decals on the AMT (converted to a '69) Nova.

I am down for a few. I owed several 1:1 Novas and always kind of been a fan of the Nova, and it's been a missing link for some time.

The AMT kit is just a disaster and I could write a book about what's wrong with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a chance to see the early test shot of the Revell Nova (all gray plastic) but wasn’t able to take any photos because it hadn’t been reviewed yet for quality. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get pictures at next month’s club meeting. :P

The model looked very nicely proportioned. The Chevy small block is the typical SMB Chevy we’ve seen in the Camaro Z/28 and other offerings. The hood also has the slight curve at the edges that appears prototypical and which is not on the AMT Chevy (the AMT hood is flat across the back as we examined at the meeting).

The Revell person didn’t have the exact release date. When I mentioned some online sites were stating May, he said if it were May, it would be late May. But, it will more likely be June.

Revell is considering other versions of the Nova, so stay tuned. But for those of you hoping for a stock six-banger, I wouldn’t keep my hopes up too high (My opinion only). Revell, and their parent, are looking at what sells. “Plain Jane’s†are often not mass market appeal sellers. But then who knows?

• 4 weeks later...
hmmmm, a Yenko 427 nova, maybe!?!?!?

just grab the big block, radiator and rims from the yenko camaro, make new decals, and viola!!!

I can dream cant I ;)

I am sworn to silence, so I can't comment. The next club meeting is April 19. If the Revell guy is there and has something, I'll try to take photos and also get any info I can.

• 2 weeks later...

The long awaited new tool Revell 1969 Chevrolet Nova will soon be on a retail shelf near you. We are fortunate to have an early example of the final production parts and pieces to build over the next few days for you. Our first impression is eye-catching box art and kit contents that feel pretty weighty by our estimation. Like many of the recent Revell releases, this one is packed with all kinds of extra stuff that'll make the choice of just one building version pretty difficult. Follow along with us as Bill Coulter builds this new kit in periodic installments presented right here on this site. These first images take a cursory look at the individual component spree sets so you can get a pretty quick idea what there is here to work with. We hope you enjoy the trip. As they say...sit down, hold on and pay attention.

This is my first time posting to the board, so be gentle with your comments.

I'm liking what I see so far, can't wait to see the rest! When will this hit the shelf?

The info Bill and I have is that they are still finalizing the decals and instruction sheet, but they are still expected to hit our shores by end of May.

Remember, if that's not correct don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger!

The info Bill and I have is that they are still finalizing the decals and instruction sheet, but they are still expected to hit our shores by end of May.

Remember, if that's not correct don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger!

Don't worry, I don't even own a gun ! [LOL] I do know I want to get one when it does hit the streets! Thanks for posting the pics!!

Cool..... I can see myself doing several--stock small block SS, big block SS, drag car, beater (maybe like the car in Beverly Hills Cop), and stealth car (like the green one in Hot Rod mag in the last year--mild on the outside, wild under the hood)..