Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '54 Hudsons

As I recall, the only textured chrome part, is the top surface of the hood ornament. A small, flat surface.
Wet sand it smooth, dry, add BMF. Done. 

Also the head-and taillight bezels and the bar that sits above the rear bumper, all of which would be difficult to cover with BMF.

It's not a big deal - I often have to re-chrome kit parts or fix them with BMF.

As I recall, the only textured chrome part, is the top surface of the hood ornament. A small, flat surface.
Wet sand it smooth, dry, add BMF. Done. 

Also the head-and taillight bezels and the bar that sits above the rear bumper, all of which would be difficult to cover with BMF.

It's not a big deal - I often have to re-chrome kit parts or fix them with BMF.

That's what I get for not giving it a thorough look over. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before the 1954 AMC Merger , a V/8 was available at Hudson and Nash . It was sourced from Packard . Originally the contract specified the same Power out of the normal Production Packards . The Packard President  nixed this . This ceased when Husdon figured it out . After the Merger , AMC developed an excellent V/8 for themselves . Anyone else remember the '57 Rambler Rebel as the Fastest 1957 Regular Passenger Car ? I do .. I want a Hudson V/8 model on my shelves . Mobious ? Are you listening ? Thanx ..

Packard didn't have a V8 until the '55 model year.  AMC bought some of them, but they were never installed in the "step-down" Hudson body.  They were used in the '55 and '56 Hudsons which were built on the Nash body.  The engine deal was supposed to point towards further cooperation between Studebaker-Packard and AMC, but that didn't happen.  AMC started work on their own V8, which was a good thing for them because the Packard V8 was gone after the '56 model year.

Packard didn't have a V8 until the '55 model year.  AMC bought some of them, but they were never installed in the "step-down" Hudson body.  They were used in the '55 and '56 Hudsons which were built on the Nash body.  The engine deal was supposed to point towards further cooperation between Studebaker-Packard and AMC, but that didn't happen.  AMC started work on their own V8, which was a good thing for them because the Packard V8 was gone after the '56 model year.

Mark is exactly correct:  Hudson, on their own, NEVER produced, nor even considered doing their own V8.   Additionally, 1954 was last (and miserably unsuccessful!) model year for the Step-Down Hudson.   Hudson's merger with Nash was pushed on them by Chrysler Corporation completely absorbing Briggs Body Company, who had built bodies for Hudson since the 1930's.  Had AMC not been willing to merge with Hudson, the latter company would simply have had to shut down--financially, they were in that bad a shape in 1954.  With the introduction of the 1955 Nash lineup, a hastily facelifted version of those became the 1955 Hudson, and could have a V8 installed, supplied by Packard. The use of Packard V8's by AMC was a stop-gap measure, until the company could complete the development of their own 327 cid V8 engine, which appeared with the 1957 lineup.  

Art

Thing is, the Hudson kit has gone through several versions. Yet as of today, only ONE version has offered the desirable Kelsey Hays wire wheels. I have no problems with them waiting beyond the first release to issue them. Now that the K/H rims are out in the first 1954 kit, why not reissue them in the next issue? I already bought two kits to get the first issue sporting the K/H wheels. If I remember correctly, the '54 with the K/H's didn't appear until the third street version. Add the NASCAR kits, and that number is even higher.
Now, they intro a bland '54 fastback with plain wheels. So, we get the boring saucer plates once again, but have to attempt to hunt down that one kit with the wires. Two kits to get one good one. Plus, apparently no white walls in the newest issue?
Are they going to also offer a scale ugly stick they beat this thing with? Hey, I love a decked out Hudson. Proud of the '53 I built. Just don't dig the plain Jane version. And with the going MSRP's on, well, all of today's new issue kits, I just cannot afford to buy a now out of production kit*, just for wheels. Especially when they could have easily included them in the latest version. I'm still going to buy it, but.... please include the good stuff!
And... if they should, by chance offer them with the inverted bathtub, looks like I will be stuffing my face with crow!
*It IS out of production, no? 

Edited by Jon Cole

Thing is, the Hudson kit has gone through several versions. Yet as of today, only ONE version has offered the desirable Kelsey Hays wire wheels. I have no problems with them waiting beyond the first release to issue them. Now that the K/H rims are out in the first 1954 kit, why not reissue them in the next issue? I already bought two kits to get the first issue sporting the K/H wheels. If I remember correctly, the '54 with the K/H's didn't appear until the third street version. Add the NASCAR kits, and that number is even higher.
Now, they intro a bland '54 fastback with plain wheels. So, we get the boring saucer plates once again, but have to attempt to hunt down that one kit with the wires. Two kits to get one good one. Plus, apparently no white walls in the newest issue?
Are they going to also offer a scale ugly stick they beat this thing with? Hey, I love a decked out Hudson. Proud of the '53 I built. Just don't dig the plain Jane version. And with the going MSRP's on, well, all of today's new issue kits, I just cannot afford to buy a now out of production kit*, just for wheels. Especially when they could have easily included them in the latest version. I'm still going to buy it, but.... please include the good stuff!
And... if they should, by chance offer them with the inverted bathtub, looks like I will be stuffing my face with crow!
*It IS out of production, no? 

It's a Special, the lower-priced trim level.  I doubt many people who bought Specials in real life sprung for the added expense of wire wheels, so I would be very surprised to see this kit come with them or whitewalls for that matter.   52 convertible and 54 Club Coupe are the only other current Hudsons.  It's the convertible we should be chuffed about not coming with wire wheels as they'd be fitting on a convertible but not a lower-trim sedan. 

I do wonder about the wheels...when they originally announced this kit, they showed a B&W pic of a 1:1 drag car w/ Cragar SS wheels IIRC...maybe a race version will come later as an MK issue.

I used a couple pics in the start of this thread.  Not sure if Moebius has ever shown it officially, but yes, there is a race version coming (Will be kit #1219).   That's Moebius President Frank Winspur's dad's junior stock racer car.  

MattysHudson-vi.jpg

Matty27sGirls-vi.jpg

It's a Special, the lower-priced trim level.  I doubt many people who bought Specials in real life sprung for the added expense of wire wheels, so I would be very surprised to see this kit come with them or whitewalls for that matter.   52 convertible and 54 Club Coupe are the only other current Hudsons.  It's the convertible we should be chuffed about not coming with wire wheels as they'd be fitting on a convertible but not a lower-trim sedan. 

So the '54 club coupe out now (red car on box) has the wires?   Shows hubcaps on the box top.

Edited by Rob Hall

Correct. All quite peculiar.

Not really!   The Moebius '54 Hudson Hornet Special Club Sedan is a model of the decontented (somewhat stripped down) Hudson Hornet that the company introduced shortly after new model introduction at a lower price--to try and stem the very serious sales slide at Hudson.  There was no money in the bank for a serious restyle of the step-down body series by 1953--so a mere facelift was all that could be done to that 1948-vintage body shell.  So, wire wheels were an extra-cost option just as they were on the Club Coupe, Hollywood hardtop and the convertible.

Art

So the '54 club coupe out now (red car on box) has the wires?   Shows hubcaps on the box top.

Yep.  And the funny part is it doesn't come with the hubcaps, just the wires. The wires are on the '54-specific chrome tree, so it's possible they'll be included with the Special sedan.  Heck, it's possible they'll be the only wheels like in the coupe given their track record with contents not matching the box art.  

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't buy one (yet), but I did get to crack one open.  While the body isn't polished to a mirror-shine like some other recent Moebius kits, it's not a sandblasted finish like the first '54 was. Unfortunately the texture is still present on the "wings" of the chromed hood ornament, so that will need to be stripped and smoothed and foiled or re-plated/Alcladed. The stainless rock guards appear to stand more proud of the body than on the '54 coupe but I didn't compare them side-by-side, just going off my memory of how shallow the first kit was.  The only wheel choices are the wheel covers from the '52 and '53 kits and the tires are plain blackwalls.

Didn't buy one (yet), but I did get to crack one open.  While the body isn't polished to a mirror-shine like some other recent Moebius kits, it's not a sandblasted finish like the first '54 was. Unfortunately the texture is still present on the "wings" of the chromed hood ornament, so that will need to be stripped and smoothed and foiled or re-plated/Alcladed. The stainless rock guards appear to stand more proud of the body than on the '54 coupe but I didn't compare them side-by-side, just going off my memory of how shallow the first kit was.  The only wheel choices are the wheel covers from the '52 and '53 kits and the tires are plain blackwalls.

You're talking about the green one now, yes? The fastback.