Model Cars Magazine Forum

to airbrush or not to airbrush

FIRST OF ALL...let me apologize for the corny shakespearean topic....now onto my question. I have been looking at the spray booths that are available on the market. Besides the electrical things, it seems like it'd be easy to build? Are they worth the money?

Yes,

I would have to say they are worth the investment . Controlling your paint environment is the most crucial step you can take . I always advise those that are going into this phase to invest their money in the equipment first and the kits second !

You don't have to buy the " Cadillac " of everything, equipment wise , but , I would certainly advise you not to go the " cheap" route either. It always comes back to bite you in the end. I have seen excellent booths displayed at the shows for around $ 400. These are well constructed , built to last a life time.

Be sure to put the same amount of time and care into choosing your airbrush and the rest of your equipment. You'll never regret it !

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting

Frankly, I use a little bit of everything. I have three airbrushes that I use all the time, an Iwata HVLP 50, and two Tamiya HG's. I also have several boxes full of spray cans, mostly Tamiya's with some Testors. I use what is easiest to get the finish I want. For instance. Tamiya rattle cans of fine white primer, work just fine for laying down a nice coat of primer. Since most of it gets sanded off as part of the leveling process, why bother with an air brush. Also, their semigloss black works just fine out the the can.

For gloss paints though I use DuPont automotive Lacquers and Urethanes. They need an airbrush to get right. Also for fade jobs and Alclads, you just have to have an airbrush. Get what you need and if you get good quality, you can grow into it. A better situation than growing out of lesser quality. Good luck

I made the switch earlier in the year to an airbrush from rattle can. The quality of your paint jobs will be so much better after switching to the airbrush. I have not yet invested in a spray booth. but have a dedicated area that I do my painting in. At this point I have tried a couple Badger brushes but found a cheap ebay brush as my personal favorite.

I have a ton of tamiya and testors paints that I have removed from the can and put into bottles for future airbrushing. I also use House of Kolor paints and Kandies that I have from painting 1:1 cars with an airbrush. For model cars I still like the spray can clears from Tamiya.

Good luck brother.

YES!! DO invest in an airbrush, and DO invest in a decent paint booth! ;)

As Victor said, things will go much smoother with these items! I moved away from cans many years ago as I got tired of the intermittent quality of the spray can itself. I control the volume of paint as well as the air flow.

NOT some manufacturer that thinks they know better than I what the PSI should be at any given moment.

I have at least four air brushes---------three models of Badgers and a Paasche.

My spray booth is probably the best 250 bucks I've invested in this hobby! I used to get paint overspray everywhere, but it's much more controllable when you've got something that will suck it right out the window. :P

It's a Paasche unit and it's definitely worth the money spent on it.

YES!! DO invest in an airbrush, and DO invest in a decent paint booth! ;)

As Victor said, things will go much smoother with these items! I moved away from cans many years ago as I got tired of the intermittent quality of the spray can itself. I control the volume of paint as well as the air flow.

NOT some manufacturer that thinks they know better than I what the PSI should be at any given moment.

I have at least four air brushes---------three models of Badgers and a Paasche.

My spray booth is probably the best 250 bucks I've invested in this hobby! I used to get paint overspray everywhere, but it's much more controllable when you've got something that will suck it right out the window. :P

It's a Paasche unit and it's definitely worth the money spent on it.

Gotta agree with Bill and Donn....Get a good booth(paasche, model expo ,Micro Mark) and a good brush...and yes rattle cans work in the booth...just more waste!!

Another point I'd like to make is to invest in a GOOD dual chamber respirator! As good as paint booths are, fumes are still floatin' around just waiting to get into your lungs.

Especially if you're dealing with caustic stuff like Duplicolor (especially obnoxious fumes!) or other nasty stuff, you want a really good dual chamber respirator. :P

I've had an airbrush for many years and haven't really used it. But I built a spray booth (under $50) sized & designed like a large Pace unit. It works for me. I also purchased Donn Yost's "The Art of Airbrushing Show Quality Model Cars" and it was worth the price. All I need now is to get out there and get some paint to play with the airbrush.

There's pic's of member's homemade paint booths elsewhere on this forum, but here's mine.

100_0836.jpg

100_0835.jpg

wow, thats a sweet paint booth! what did you build it out of? I really want one, but can't afford the $500 that the good ones go for. I guess i need to look at other peoples booths and figure out how to do one for myself. Thanks for the tips!

I've had an airbrush for many years and haven't really used it. But I built a spray booth (under $50) sized & designed like a large Pace unit. It works for me. I also purchased Donn Yost's "The Art of Airbrushing Show Quality Model Cars" and it was worth the price. All I need now is to get out there and get some paint to play with the airbrush.

There's pic's of member's homemade paint booths elsewhere on this forum, but here's mine.

I had some 3/8" plywood laying around so after using the size specs from a large Pace unit just glued and nailed together. Also had a 24" florescent light unit and used it in front. I had to purchase a bathroom exhaust fan, switches, receptacles, and air filters. I have 4 switched receptacles (light, exhaust fan, compressor, spare) and I use a cord to power them up. It may not be the best but it's been working fine for me.

FIRST OF ALL...let me apologize for the corny shakespearean topic....now onto my question. I have been looking at the spray booths that are available on the market. Besides the electrical things, it seems like it'd be easy to build? Are they worth the money?

I built mine, and people have said it was a real professional looking rig. Works well, looks good, pretty much everything I wanted from a booth.

Was it worth it, yes for a great number of reasons.

boothtoday.jpg

booth3.jpg

Edited by CAL

I built mine also.My father in law built the cabinet from some scrap Melamine so it is sealed pretty well on the sides the back is plywood that I need to spray with some white urethane to seal it up.For the fan I used a 110 volt Brushless machine cabinet fan that I got from Mouser electronics wired it up to a dimmer switch to controll the air speed and added a bright white flourecent light.Less than $150.Works pretty good.