Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

The '70 Olds Toronado was primed with Plasti-kote. It's a little thin but I don't like heavy, filler primers that soften details. Color coat was Dupli-color from the parts store. I used a 70's era color but I don't think it's a true Toronado color, I just wanted something regal.

I attempted to create a vinyl roof effect by sanding the top with 60-80 grit sandpaper in a cross hatch pattern of short strokes, then sanded off the crumbs with fine grit. Seemed like a good idea but by the end of the build I didn't care for the result.

Top-Being-Sanded.jpg

The bumper was broken so I ended up removing the chrome, repairing and sending out to Chrome-Tech. Remember, this was before Alclad II.

Rear-Bumper-Broken.jpg

Paint, paint, glue, glue and viola'. Sorry, I didn't have more photos of the conventional assembly but you know the drill. This is how we ended up. I invite you to view more photos in the Under Glass section. Thanks to all for your interest.

http://www.modelcars...18

RearThreeQuarter.jpg

Left-Rear.jpg

Here's the final vinyl top result. Not too convincing.

Top.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

OK all,

I have borrowed a camera, and I'm posting pics for the Glue Bomb Invitational :P

My 1934 Duesenberg. This is actually a combo of two Dueseys, one yellow, one tan. Just prepping the parts for primer. Combining the best parts of both to make a presentable car..

IMG_0707-1.jpg

The other entry, AMT '65 Grand Prix

IMG_0704-1.jpg

....And the last one..MPC '67 Bonneville ragtop. Yeah, this one should be interesting..to go back to stock, I need to locate an interior, chassis, and a stock motor...

IMG_0703-1.jpg I will try and post pics as I can.

I need to buy my own camera.

I will try to keep up with my rebuilds, as I am bad for not posting pics...

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

You could probably use a chassis from an AMT '67 or '70 Impala or the often-reissued '65 Pontiac for the '67 Bonneville, although the Bonny might have a slightly longer wheelbase. Compare the one from your '65 G.P. to make sure. Thoise kits would probably also have a windshield you could use but I'm not certain about that. (They are all G.M. B-Bodies.) Pontiac V-8's are pretty much interchangable since, as I recall,they used the same basic block ever since the 50's through when they went to "Corporate" engines like Olds or Chevy. The interior might pose a proiblem, but if "Close Enough" is close enough, the '65 Poncho or '67 Impala would probably work out OK.

I remember building that Monogram Deusenberg as a kid. It was one of the standouts of my collection at the time. I'll be following all three of these builds!

The Bonneville re-issue would probably be your best choice for all the running gear. The wheelbases on the '65 and '67 were the same (124",) and the basic chassis was the same. I'd also suggest using the engine and transmission from the '65 in your car, as it would be the closest. While the basic block remained the same from 1955-79, there were many detail changes, and the mid-60s engines are all roughly the same.

I don't remember off-hand if the '65 had Tri-Power or not. If it does, that's not too big a deal; any 4-bbl or dual-quad Pontiac intake can be made to fit with little trouble. I'd recommend one from the '67 GTO as probably being the closest in terms of fit. Or, you can always do a "customer-installed" intake.

The other parts can all be sourced from The Modelhaus in all likelihood, with little or no trouble. The list can be found here. http://www.modelhaus.com/index.php?y=59&c=4211&pt=&part=1&Submit=Search

Charlie Larkin

Guys,

Actually, I just ordered some parts from the Modelhaus, so that part is taken car of.

I have a spare chassis from one of my 65 Grand Prixs projects, so, that should take care of that problem,

The interior might pose another issue, however, I will try a 65 Bonny interior to see if it fits...

I think '67 was the last year for Tri Power, so a Pontiac motor should be easy to locate...

I need to start disassembly to see what is salvagable......

Keep you all posted..

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

Here is another one

IMG_0706-1.jpg

I believe this the Duesenberg Town Car(?)

Anyway, this one is a little farther down the list, but it will be rebuilt

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for in my trade post..(yes, a shameless plug :lol: )

Enjoy

Cheers, ian

Edited by imatt88

Actually, Ian, the Grand Prix chassis plate will need to be stretched out to fit the Bonneville. The Catalina/G.P. used a 121-inch wheelbase instead of a 124" wheelbase.

The interiors, at least from what I've seen, are also quite a bit different.

No matter what you do, though, it'll certainly be an improvement over what you have.

Yes, you do have a Town Car there. And that will be a dandy when it's re-done. I would suggest either a reverse of that color scheme or an altogether darker color for it; burgundy, Navy blue or black would all be nice.

Charlie Larkin

When I see this, I can't help but think how cool it would look with a big section taken out of the middle to shorten the body's length along the lines of a '32 Ford and give it a hot rod look! I may have to try to pick up one of these kits.

I was thinking hack it off behind the second cowl and make a Dusey roadster pickup.

Lot of interesting things going on here! I'll have to dig out a gluebomb one of these days and see if I can do anything nearly as nice as you guys are doing!

If you REALLY cared, you could just take an unbuilt kit, build it as a glue bomb... then re-build it just for this community build! :P:lol:

• 2 weeks later...