Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help Identifying 1960s 1/25 kit exhaust parts

Hi guys

this is my first post here.

I really need help from the experts which is why Im here.

Briefly, my names Mike and Im from Liverpool.

I build a lot of models, mainly railway dioramas and model car kits.

But I also build replicas of the studio model vehicles used in the 1960s tv series Thunderbirds, using as much of the original parts as possible.

Ive done quite a lot of research on this, while trying to gather together info on what bits they used to stick on theyre futuristic creations, they used lots of chromed parts from the major kit makers of the time. as they where already chrome and easy to stick on and save painting.

usually if theyres a car kit used in the background, such as a AMT silhouette or Monogram predicta, getting hold of the kit revealls other parts they used elsewhere, and clues to other things.

Now, Im building this weird creation B)

Ive managed to so far work out nearly all the bits used on it. from household items such as garden hose connectors, and model aircraft wheels...

except these chromed exhaust manifolds stuck to the front.

Im guessing its from a 1/25 v8 dragster kit..

unknownparts.jpg

Ive searched through hundreds of pics, usually ebay, of Monogram, revell, amt, kits pre 1965, and also collected catalogues from the 60s. but havent managed to identify them yet

Im hoping someone here may know or recognise them.

many thanks for any help

cheers

Mike

Edited by mike delamar

Mike, those headers look like they are off a funny car. Which one? I'm not sure, but hopefully this points you a little closer to the right direction.

thanks Chris

it should help narrow it down.

with regards dragsters, ones I was thinking of, but havent seen any pics of the box contents would be the monogram sizzler or monogram ford deuce pc55 kit.

I dont think all of those major kit makers made lots of dragsters and funny cars.

any help and advice, comments etc really appreciated

cheers

Mike

Definitly not the Sizzler. Different bends.

thanks Steve, anything that rules out and narrows down the search is great.

that link is great too.

is there a definate list of what each of the major kit makers produced?

as searching ebay or lists on the net sometimes some kits are missed out.

I was also thinking it could be AMT rather than revell or monogram.

reason being the exhaust parts look more of dull grey which AMT parts seem to be, rather than the really shiny chrome pieces in the revell and other kits.

many thanks

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Ive got a revell 1965 catalogue, and so easily managed to work out that it wasnt anything from Revell.

would like to try and get hold of a AMT, Monogram and others it could be from, having trouble finding those.

If someone has a catalogue from around 1964/65 could someone either please tell me what dragsters AMT and Monogram produced around back then, maybe post a list or maybe a catalogue page pic?

thanks for any assistance

cheers

Mike

Hi guys

one kit I think it could be is the AMT Double whammy, although I cant find any pics on the net of the parts, only box covers.

can I ask if anyone has this kit, could they maybe post a pic of the exhaust parts or maybe an instruction sheet or similar please?

or if they think it could be any other kit please say

cheers

Mike

I have a set of those but I can't remember what kit they came from. What I'm thinking is maybe one of the 60's Corvette's with the side pipes. Maybe 63-67 AMT kits. Not sure, just a tought. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

no problem,

would you be able post a pic of them please?

just trying to narrow it down, the show was filmed late 1964 early 65, so thatd rule out anything later.

do you think it could be the double whammy kit? have you had one of those?

if theres any suggestions to throw into the hat please do

thanks

Mike

heres a better pic from a screengrab, taken later on when some of the other bits had fallen off :unsure:

exhaustmanifold.jpg

Im not asking for anything for free, will certainly pay if anyone has any,

although itd be nicer to still know what they where from, as the same kit may give clues to some other mystery bits Im trying to find, as if the original model maker had the sprue from that kit in front of him, he'd be likely to stick other pieces from it elsewhere on the model which would be impossible to identify otherwise.

cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

Im still looking for those exhaust manifolds, in the meantime Ive built a truck from Thunderbirds, I even displayed it at a recent convention along with some of my other replicas where I met the creator of the show Gerry Anderson, he was very kind with his comments on my models, which havent been recreated for around 45 years.

here are some of my work in progress models, some are finished such as the fire engines which featured in a few episodes, took me 2 years trying to find the original style of 1960s kitchen spice canister they used on it!

including the large industrial bulbs, original toys they canibalised and kit parts..

can see the yellow fire engine still in wood in the background which I want the v8 manifolds for..

IMGP3216-1.jpg

firestationlights-1.jpg

IMGP3132-1.jpg

my truck at the con, worked out the majority of the bits on this but theres still a few im looking for although I have used similar pieces for now..

IMGP3183-1.jpg

unknowntractorparts.jpg

Mike

Edited by mike delamar

Thanks David

heres something else you guys may be able to help me with for another project....

Im pretty sure the bubbletop dome on this was from the revell mysterion kit, the dimensions are pretty close although this is a little flat at the rear and doesnt have the lips either side, the profile is pretty close. the kit was released in 1964 so it could be it.

Im just wondering where there any other kits from this time that had a similar type of bubbledome? and if anyone thinks it could be from the mysterion. does the 60s version differ from the later re-release? i think it has a slight blue tint to it also.

the chrome parts on the side im pretty sure are from the AMT allison engine parts kit.

thanks guys for any help

ecar.jpg

elevatorcar2.jpg

4670.jpg

cheers

Mike

Edited by mike delamar

• 2 weeks later...

wow thats some pretty strange stuff! never seen kit parts used like that... :blink:

they where one of the earliest people to do it, they later used the technique in star wars and films like that to dress up shapes without having to make each individual part. saves on time and kit parts are cheap.

In Thunderbirds they did build the 1/25 car kits standard too, remember this was 1965 when this was made,they where thrown together quick, ánd they where only meant to be seen for a few seconds on screen, the days before video and dvd :lol:

they bought loads of the kits of the time, the exhausts I need will be from one of them, just havent found it yet, and need you guys help.

some blu ray screengrabs of 1/25 kit cars in Thunderbirds. the ford thunderbird I believe is the 3 in 1 monogram kit. I quite like it in the Police car colours and may do one some day.

00009m2ts_snapshot_0901_20101120_142746.jpg

00009m2ts_snapshot_1525_20101120_140835.jpg

00006m2ts_snapshot_4725_20101120_141943.jpg

00009m2ts_snapshot_1128_20101120_142825.jpg

00006m2ts_snapshot_0620_20100901_122808.jpg

00005m2ts_snapshot_3440_20100903_201052.jpg

00006m2ts_snapshot_3615_20100901_160732.jpg

00008m2ts_snapshot_2908_20100911_111955.jpg

Mike

Edited by mike delamar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...