Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoleum has Sticky Surface

I put some Rustoleum "Universal Metallic - Paint and Primer in One" on top of Model Master (Testors) Custom Lacquer System yellow, and the surface is still sticky after several days.

Have other people had this problem? Is it a problem with just that Rustoleum line, or is it the combination? I first tried some over Mr. Surfacer Primer, and it seemed to work just fine. So I suspect it's reacting with the MM.

I've used Rustoleum Flat Protective Enamel many times, and it's great stuff - very black. But this "Universal" is very different - the finish is a deep, glossy metallic. It looks great, but shows fingerprints etc., so it's really not usable.

Luckily, I only used it on a small part that will be easy to strip and repaint. But I hate paying for paint that I can't use.

Is there anything I can put on the surface to make it dry? Should I just thow it away and get another kind of paint?

Edited by Ddms

Tom, I have used some Rustoleum tan paint on two different models, and it does take days to dry! It dried to a great shine, but I had to wait about four days to handle the models. I once used some other rust preventing paint called XO Rust in a dark blue color with the same slow drying time. Maybe whatever they put in paints like that to prevent rust makes it dry slow. I brought my painted bodies up from my cold basement workshop to our sunporch where they get some sunlight and warm air. That helps a little.

Sam

Well, the part got drier. I sanded and re-painted it. I'll wait four days and check it before using it on the car body itself. I don't think this is supposed to be a rust-preventative paint, by the way. It says nothing about that on the can, at least in the big print.

I'm giving up on this paint. It's pretty, but even after four days, it's slightly tacky. The part has two sides that both need to be painted, meaning that I'd need to hold it with something. But clamping or taping it will ruin it. Who knows how long it will take before the finish loses its tackiness. Maybe the Model Master is a factor, I dunno.

I hate to waste a can of paint, but I'm going to look for another chocolate brown metallic. Except for acrylics or automotive paint, looks like MM is the only game in town. (My LHS doesn't have a Tamiya brown; they're down to just a few cans of Tamiya.)

Any suggestions?

There isn't much metallic brown around, so I settled on Duplicolor Cordova brown. It's a little redder than I'd like, but it's the only game in town unless I get automotive paint, which is great stuff, but I'm only painting the Hudson's top and visor brown, so it wouldn't be worth $14 for the the 2 oz. minimum.