Model Cars Magazine Forum

Impass - AMT 67 Impala / Revell Pro Finish NASCAR Grand Prix

turn1wonder

The name of this build represents a point that I reached in my life.

The last few months of 2012 I had a bunch of heart attacks, all but one of them I ignored because I didn't want them at that time (yes, I am stupid). Finally I had one in December and I called EMS because things had settled down at home, and anyway, it was a big one. The next morning I had a massive one and flat-lined.

I had a quad bypass that went pretty well, although my heart is quite damaged and my leg got infected which still is not good.

Anyway...with a long stretch of down time ahead I looked over what builds I had been working on, frustrating concepts that held no interest now.

This build is a fresh start, though it has been frustrating as it nears completion! I didn't take any pics until well into the build, I just wanted to work on it.

Some pics for those that have that have followed along this far...

Models2013AMTChevImpala673.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala674.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala675.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala676.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala677.jpg

The NASCAR chassis was lengthened, tires sanded, wheels-backs modified to use the Impala ones, all of the suspension was modified, hand-made distributor with too-fat wires added, modified the headers and added hand-made side pipes. The Impala interior sides and dash was used, the cage was hand-made other than the lower center section and parts-box seats were added. The NASCAR interior floor pan was smoothed and the oil pump box was removed and the hole filled in. All of the floor and the top of the dash was then sprayed black and Metamucil spread over it, dumped out, the sprayed black again.

After I looked at the pics I found a lot of stuff that needs more work/paint done.

Models2013AMTChevImpala6710.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala678.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala679.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala6712.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala6714.jpg

The body...oh, the body. Frustration!

The plan was for dark purple with flames with a cutout at the base of the hood for the NASCAR cowl induction and a screen in it.

Dark purple. Purple pond. Twice.

Silver. Purple pond.

Transparent candy emerald green over silver base. Purple pond. Twice.

Satin black. Check. Flames. Check.

Models2013AMTChevImpala671.jpg

Add pinned mirrors as the final detail, put on masking tape to lay out holes...

Models2013AMTChevImpala6715.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala6716.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala6717.jpg

Models2013AMTChevImpala6718.jpg

Purple pond.

Edited by turn1wonder