Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

Greg... this is turning out great. Those pulleys look awesome. did you get the blower belt from McMaster-Carr?? I ordered a few different sizes to see if I could use it as my blower pulleys for my 1/16th scale builds...lol. Looking forward to more progress on this.

Thank you Richard, Chris, Santiago and Rick. B)

Chris, I was lucky enough to source the belt from a local distributor down here in Aus. ;) PM on the way....

Well, a no pic post to update this week...................;) But that don't mean I haven't been busy. :huh:

First up......

Some MAJOR body mods tool place......................:blink::huh:

Not real sure how evident this glitch in my work had been, but the tail was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. :o Yep, lopped an inch off it, a SCALE foot........

LOTS of trimming, reshaping, checking, re-reshaping............but the result will yield a more true representation of what it should be....

Also moved the body backwards on the chassis for better alignment. Only by 5mm......This showed up the next down fall........

When I cut the front off, I used what I thought was the correct front door edge.....well, now the doors are too short. :rolleyes: Won't be a hard fix tho.

And I have re-aligned (moved) the steering column. It was going to foul on the headers, so it's now 5mm lower in the firewall....

Plus, I have added the extra bar work around the drivers cockpit, the F/C cage part. B) I think it looks ok......time will tell.....

I'll get some pics done as soon as I can, just want to get the new rear looking a bit more finished. :P

greg, i have an email coming your way about the body dimensions.

Many thanks Dave. I was close...within a whisker at the rear, about 10mm at the front.............:);)

Well, as mentioned in my previous post, and with Dave saving my butt once again...body modifications have filled my time of late.

The front end required (still needs lots more time) the most in regard to mods....It was shortened by 10mm, just behind the grill area.

The nose of the hood has been reshaped and re-contoured too.

DSCF7683-vi.jpg

It looks a LOT closer to photos of reference cars I have..(well, it will when finished. )

The rear end is where I started....it always looked tail heavy.....Dave's email confirmed this fact.

So, here it is with a whole "scale foot" lopped out of it.......I've started re-contouring the edge where it rolls over to the tail panel.

The lower sections of fender will be added once I have the correct shape for the top half all sorted....

DSCF7685-vi.jpg

DSCF7686-vi.jpg

An overview gives a better indication of how it looks now.

DSCF7688-vi.jpg

Chassis work.....

Only the Funny Car style hoop I added the other night, plus the new steering wheel position......

DSCF7690-vi.jpg

DSCF7691-vi.jpg

NEW fabricated "sheet-metal" diff in the works....

Think I'm going to head off to the local Ford Dealer for a new centre for it............

DSCF7692-vi.jpg

DSCF7694-vi.jpg

And started messing with shocks/struts.....

DSCF7696-vi.jpg

DSCF7695-vi.jpg

Well, that brings this weekend to a screaming halt......More as it happens guys, and thanks for stopping by.

cheers

Greg

greg, i'm glad to see you getting the details "correct". the build is looking awesome!!!! the chassis looks great and the repairs to the body should be spot on. i love the shocks! great work! 1/12 scale is just a load of fun to work in....isn't it?

Very impressive work Greg. I was looking through projects, trying to find inspiration for my dukes Charger, when I found your Camaro project and it is just amazing. While my project is no comparison to yours, I have a lot to do to it, in my opinion, to make it presentable. If you don't mind, I may need to pick your brain if I get stuck. Again, wonderful job so far. I will be following this as it progresses.

Thanks so much Dave, Jay, Richard and Romell. B)

Jay, I'm really pleased you gained inspiration from my work mate, only too pleased to pass on anything which others may benefit from. :D;)

I've definitely picked up a lot from other guys, so what goes around, comes around. Life is like a merry-go-round, as my nephew would say...

Well guys, another "no pic update"....:P

Tonight I really got stuck into the old body work......well, what's left of it..........

The "old" inner rear fenders are ALL but gone. Great news is, the new fenders didn't cave in on me................:lol:

I have just finished re-doing the lower part of these fenders too, but they still require lots of tidying up, mainly along the character line, which is where they were joined.

Whilst removing all the old orange plastic from inside, I also fully opened up the rear window area and around the insides of the quarter window area...

The front end has also received plenty of putty and file work and is progressing very well.

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow arvo to give you a better idea of things...my explanations are sometimes difficult to follow.....:lol:

cheers guys

Greg

im looking to make shocks, curious on how you did the struts. the springs are made or bought? you threaded the struts so they adjust?

Hey Joe,

Yeah, the shocks/struts are still a work in progress.....The springs are old leftovers from a 1/12 Tamiya kit...either an F1 or my really old Datsun. :blink:

I used 2 sizes of aluminium tube for the core, 1/8 and the next size up which slips neatly over it.

The larger of these was matched to a plastic tube, and glued flush with the top of that plastic tube. (inside, so the plastic is just to give it roughly the correct size.)

The smaller (1/8) tube slides freely up and down inside, and I tapped a small countersunk screw into the bottom of it, to prevent it sliding out the top.

Still working on a thread system.....the tap and die set I have is way too course....B) So I'm off shopping for a better set. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Greg all the parts from the rear end to the engine are looking o so good, great work keep it coming bro.

B) Hey, thanks Derrick.

Well, finally got some pics of recent goings on......

The front clip is progressing ever soo slowly. It has had another putty coat since I took this the other night.

But at least both sides are getting closer to matching up.

DSCF7725-vi.jpg

DSCF7728-vi.jpg

DSCF7727-vi.jpg

The rear fenders are a little more advanced. The prominent body line particular to the '69 is looking much better.

Even with the obvious bulge in the rear flanks, it was a task and a half to keep this line, and get them looking the same.....

I laid (glued) some this solder along the line I wanted, then built it up with putty.

These shots show the process and progress....Still in a very un-finished state at present.

DSCF7730-vi.jpg

This one has the first application of putty added...

DSCF7718-vi.jpg

Continues......

Rear valance taking shape.....

DSCF7744-vi.jpg

After several more nights of adding putty, sanding, re-shaping, adding more putty.....I got anxious and wanted to get it all one colour.

Ok....so I also wanted to use it as a guide, to help show up any low areas.....and low areas are something it is NOT short on........ :lol:

DSCF7760-vi.jpg

Still many, many highs and lows to iron out.....but I feel it IS getting there.......I may be a grand-father before I get it done.....and I don't even have kids.... :wacko:

DSCF7761-vi.jpg

DSCF7762-vi.jpg

CLOSE up showing much extra work required.....

DSCF7769-vi.jpg

Continues......

Can't wait to see more!, the front end & the rear fenders are lookin' good,keep it up Greg!

Hey, thanks Richard. Yes...it's taking a little longer than I'd hoped, but getting closer we are. :wacko:

Been busy with motor parts as well.....

After fabricating a new idler mount, I gave it a shot of gold to try and replicate a gold anodised look....

Also added mounts/shafts to add the pulley to.

DSCF7735-vi.jpg

Pulley in place, held with bolts from Scale Hardware.

The brace holding it all together is just a length of flattened aluminium tube.

DSCF7746-vi.jpg

And I started on the fuel system/pump....

DSCF7754-vi.jpg

Well, that's about it for now guys...more to come in the weeks ahead I hope.

Ordered some odds'n'ends from Tim @ TRD the other day which will save me from scratching a couple of things together.. :lol:

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy it too.

cheers

Greg

greg, this is beyond super impressive!!!!! the body is looking great from here. the engine gets bonus points! just an awesome job! taking on a pro mod body like this is incredibly hard. keep up the fantastic work. i cannot wait to see this on 4 wheels.

this is looking Really good I like the direction this is headed, I have a 1/12 69 camaro and I took a look at ot just to get a perspective of what you are doing and you get the highest props from me pal... keep up the fantastic work..... B)