Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Dave, any updates on the Great Dane Reefer or Prostar?

No doubt wouldn't come cheap. Years ago red was the common color on trucks must be white paint is cheaper now.

When I worked at MS Carriers Mike Starns CEO said white paint doesn't look bad when it fades. That was his reasoning for his company consisting of white trucks. I'd say that's the industry standard for using white for the most part..

Here are the two ProStars with MaxxForce 15 at the truck show last year.

DSC05786-M.jpg

DSC05787-M.jpg

DSC05790-M.jpg

DSC05800-M.jpg

DSC05801-M.jpg

DSC05816-M.jpg

Dave

Those are way cool paint schemes! I would see an O/O driving one of these, more than the Lonestar anyway. Edited by Z06Bob

• 2 years later...

Part of the problem is big government the other part is big business. Trucking companies won't spend the money to equip trucks to run so the government decided they would have emissions controls to clean them up and get better MPG. You can take a W9 or a 379 (or even a K100 or 362) and get 8's and 9's, if you spec it correctly and drive it right. thats why there is a big boom in glider kits using pre-emission engines (check out Fitzgerald truck sales ). I learned to drive on a 362 with a 3406 CAT, we were getting 8.5 to 9.0 MPG all day long, but it had the power it needed to get the job done, not P**s and moan up a hill.

On a side note about engines, I remember snicking when the Dayton Terminal Manager was telling us how much money American Freightways spends on trucks, he asked why I snickered so I told him for what they were paying they could have Kenworths instead of Volvo's. Then when Fed Ex went to place another large order of trucks Volvo said ok but you have to order them with our engine Fed Ex said no thanks and ordered a ton of Kenworths with the cummins they wanted. So if the big fleets that are buying the prostar wanted a different engine they would get it. It's all about the mighty $$$$.

I will get off my soap box now.

PS: Moebius - great products, if International is working with you they should be able to give you cad drawings of the 9670 - this seams to be a hot truck cab from the aftermarket. As for trailers, please a modern set of doubles (with or without Reefers) and modern containers and chassis (20', 40', 48' and 53') and to keep piece with everyone else a modern flatbed. To go with your wheel and tire sets how about some differant cab configurations or other options that could be sold seprately, just a thought.

When I can afford a prostart it will be done up as a "Ryder Rental Truck". Thanks

Part of the problem is big government the other part is big business. Trucking companies won't spend the money to equip trucks to run so the government decided they would have emissions controls to clean them up and get better MPG. You can take a W9 or a 379 (or even a K100 or 362) and get 8's and 9's, if you spec it correctly and drive it right. thats why there is a big boom in glider kits using pre-emission engines (check out Fitzgerald truck sales ). I learned to drive on a 362 with a 3406 CAT, we were getting 8.5 to 9.0 MPG all day long, but it had the power it needed to get the job done, not P**s and moan up a hill.

On a side note about engines, I remember snicking when the Dayton Terminal Manager was telling us how much money American Freightways spends on trucks, he asked why I snickered so I told him for what they were paying they could have Kenworths instead of Volvo's. Then when Fed Ex went to place another large order of trucks Volvo said ok but you have to order them with our engine Fed Ex said no thanks and ordered a ton of Kenworths with the cummins they wanted. So if the big fleets that are buying the prostar wanted a different engine they would get it. It's all about the mighty $$$$.

I will get off my soap box now.

PS: Moebius - great products, if International is working with you they should be able to give you cad drawings of the 9670 - this seams to be a hot truck cab from the aftermarket. As for trailers, please a modern set of doubles (with or without Reefers) and modern containers and chassis (20', 40', 48' and 53') and to keep piece with everyone else a modern flatbed. To go with your wheel and tire sets how about some differant cab configurations or other options that could be sold seprately, just a thought.

When I can afford a prostart it will be done up as a "Ryder Rental Truck". Thanks

Trollers never pass up a chance to spam a political agenda.

BTW, use spell check.

I have no political agenda.. I drove for over 22 years before becoming a Disabled Combat Vet of Afghanistan and Iraq. I have drove all kinds of trucks - one that is properly spec'ed will get the MPG - the last truck I drove was a peterbilt and it didn't get but 4.33 mpg and when the DPF plugged up it shut you down. The emissions are BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and they are not needed. All it is doing is driving up cost for everyone and putting people out of work - CAT Truck engines didn't go under, they made the decision not to keep pumping money into a lost cause - just fact. Why are we so concerned with the emissions when every other country is not - look at china, all we are doing is forcing the companies to relocate to places with less restrictions, again just fact.

BTW - WTF who elected you the spelling police.......

Careful fellas. Admin will lock this 1 too if it gets out of control.

Rign14, i agree with you. How can they look at a guy in the face and say fuel efficency at 4 or 5 mpg. Cleaner burning yes, efficent absolutely not. The 88 379 i drove got 8, the 10 386 i drive now gets 6 to 6.5. You have excuse some on here that just argue to argue. Thats why multiple topics have gotten locked out. Simply because of either they just want to argue or dont like someone didnt agree with them.

I have no political agenda.. I drove for over 22 years before becoming a Disabled Combat Vet of Afghanistan and Iraq. I have drove all kinds of trucks - one that is properly spec'ed will get the MPG - the last truck I drove was a peterbilt and it didn't get but 4.33 mpg and when the DPF plugged up it shut you down. The emissions are BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and they are not needed. All it is doing is driving up cost for everyone and putting people out of work - CAT Truck engines didn't go under, they made the decision not to keep pumping money into a lost cause - just fact. Why are we so concerned with the emissions when every other country is not - look at china, all we are doing is forcing the companies to relocate to places with less restrictions, again just fact.

BTW - WTF who elected you the spelling police.......

Careful fellas. Admin will lock this 1 too if it gets out of control.

Rign14, i agree with you. How can they look at a guy in the face and say fuel efficency at 4 or 5 mpg. Cleaner burning yes, efficent absolutely not. The 88 379 i drove got 8, the 10 386 i drive now gets 6 to 6.5. You have excuse some on here that just argue to argue. Thats why multiple topics have gotten locked out. Simply because of either they just want to argue or dont like someone didnt agree with them.

Don't know what this has to do with building truck models. Take this rant over to Overdrive Magazine.

Lets not enflame another thread with disagreements over world events!

Edited by chuckyr

Don't know what this has to do with building truck models. Take this rant over to Overdrive Magazine.

Lets not enflame another thread with disagreements over world events!

Bravo!

That's funny - CHUCKYR makes comments about something he is clueless about, berates us, then gets cheers for telling us to go elsewhere.....

If you liked that then you'll LOVE this. First off you replied to a thread that's been dead for 2 1/2 years. Secondly your reply had absolutley nothing to do with the thread. What are you even thinking about? Did you really think you had something constructive to add? Perhaps you and Clayton should get together and write letters to your senators but I would suggest you have someone proof read yours before sealing the envelope.

OK I am new here, BUT, the post was talking about the style of the new trucks, aerodynamic's / fuel MPG and why they are not liked as well as Navistar only putting Maxforce engines in their trucks. I have constructive information to add as to why the new trucks are designed the way they are. I thought this forum was for everyone, not just a select few loud mouths. I do not have a political agenda, I served this government and country for 19.5 years, it is the way it is. Maybe all you in model land don't want to know the truth. As for the post being dead for 2.5 years then why is everyone jumping my case? I get the impression you guys are a bunch of know it alls that never even drove a truck. I WILL FIND A NEW FORUM TO HANG OUT IN.

• 2 weeks later...

What is wrong with you truck guys?

Does every topic have to degenerate into silly name calling? My god, you'd think you truck guys were all 12 years old or something.

I am so tired of getting reports in my in box about all these truck threads gone bad.

I'm not going to waste my time babysitting you guys and going through this whole thread post by post. I have better things to do. What I will say is that if this sort of infantile behavior keeps up in the Trucks section, I'm going to start locking individual members out. Either you act like adults, or you don't get to take part. Period.