Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 63 Corvette

Dave

Found this on my doorstep today, courtesy of a friend a recently done a favor for.

Parts all pretty decent, nice chrome, decals have a vintage look to them Three versions, stock drag or custom. Great box art which I forgot to photograph and will add here in a little bit.004_zps78301cab.jpg

003_zps9542d49d.jpg

008_zps4c74f2e5.jpg

007_zps218d9f66.jpg

005_zpsdde1b894.jpg

006_zps78113c88.jpg

009_zps9d08420d.jpg

This is a great kit --- re-issued many many many times over the years in both coupe and convertible styles.

The biggest issues are the promo style chassis and the molded in seats --- as observed by Curt (62rebel) painting goes a long way with this one...

With some attention to detail the little fulie motor can look really good and you can work around the seat issue --- there is an excellent set in the Revell 63 Coupe snap kit --- but that seems a bit crazy since you still have a chassis issue ---- I suppose you could substitute the Revell 67 chassis but be aware that from 65 and up the front cross member was different to accommodate the new big blocks of the time ---several other details too but there is a ton of 63 documentation out there --- same for all of the mid-years 63-67 -------------I notice this version includes the correct dual snorkel air cleaner for the base 250 HP and optional 300 HP motors... nice touch ---if yo want to do a 340 HP version the air cleaner will be an issue ---

I have used the Weber carbs on several other projects and they look pretty good when detailed ---the mags are nice too ---

So this version has 2 engines? There was a version years ago that just had the big block in it.

IIRC, that was the Cruisin USA Barris issue from around 1980...I built that one as a kid. I don't recall if more recent issues of the coupe had 2 engines also (327 and 427), but the extra parts will be nice to have. I've built a couple older issue '63s, I may get one of these for resto parts for a clean but incomplete '66 builtup I got recently (body and interior unpainted, missing the glass and engine and some underhood parts).

Edited by Rob Hall

This kit is basically the Street Rods '63 3 window Corvette kit that came out in 1973-4. It is based on the last annual AMT '67 Corvette and the first Street Rods Corvette had a backup light in the center of the rear that the '67 had but not the '63. The middle backup light was removed in subsequent issues by AMT in the lates '70s or ERTL.

It is funny that the interior bucket has fixed seats like a promo. I have several '64-67 AMT Corvettes that the seats were separate. One can guess that AMT lost the tool. Like the '63 Impala and '64 Galaxie, they found the promo parts and decided to use them instead.

The kit has a 427 and 327 engine. It seems obvious that the last '67 kit donated the 427, but I am not sure if the 327 is original or re-done in 1973. The 1973 kit had two engines. So, you get a spare engine for other projects!

If you compare an original '63 to the current '63, you will find that it is not exactly the same. I am guessing that the tool was re-worked to backdate it.

I think it is a great kit. Even for getting parts to restore an original.

Edited by Bob Ellis

This kit is basically the Street Rods '63 3 window Corvette kit that came out in 1973-4. It is based on the last annual AMT '67 Corvette and the first Street Rods Corvette had a backup light in the center of the rear that the '67 had but not the '63. The middle backup light was removed in subsequent issues by AMT in the lates '70s or ERTL.

It is funny that the interior bucket has fixed seats like a promo. I have several '64-67 AMT Corvettes that the seats were separate. One can guess that AMT lost the tool. Like the '63 Impala and '64 Galaxie, they found the promo parts and decided to use them instead.

The kit has a 427 and 327 engine. It seems obvious that the last '67 kit donated the 427, but I am not sure if the 327 is original or re-done in 1973. The 1973 kit had two engines. So, you get a spare engine for other projects!

If you compare an original '63 to the current '63, you will find that it is not exactly the same. I am guessing that the tool was re-worked to backdate it.

I think it is a great kit. Even for getting parts to restore an original.

The AMT coupe kits I checked ('66 and '67 annuals) have the seats molded as a unit with the interior, as does the '64 convertible. The convertible annuals may have gone to a "separate seats" interior at some point, and that interior would probably swap straight into the coupe. I've got a couple of built '67 convertibles, but didn't look at those.

The '67 coupe was reissued several times, and was probably in continuous production through '72 ("Color Me Vette", "Funny Car" issue, "Candidate", not necessarily in that order). For '73 (AMT's 25th anniversary) it was backdated to the '63. The body, interior, and trim parts were backdated but the engine and custom parts were straight from the '67. The body details are pretty decent even when stacked up against a '63 annual kit. The knockoff wheels aren't perfect, but if you don't like them you can get wheel covers from Modelhaus, or from the Prestige issue '63 convertible kit. Early production coupe kits have the '67 backup lamp over the rear license plate recess. The Street Rods/25th Anniversary issue included only the big-block engine. The artwork on the Street Rods box was kept in production into the mid-Eighties. For a couple of years, the same plastic parts were dropped into another box (Barris Cruisin' USA) with different decals and possibly tires. It and the Street Rods issue were available at the same time.

The next AMT/Ertl issue added the small-block engine back in. The engine appears to be the original one from the '63 annuals (used through '65 in the coupe annuals, through '67 in the convertibles, and also in that nasty '68 annual kit). A couple of parts are newer tooling, mainly the air filter for the stock FI setup. True, the interior and chassis have a lot of detail molded in. But this is a decent kit nevertheless.

Mark, that is interesting about the coupe having molded in seats. I compared a bunch of convertible kits, including the '67, and all had separate seats. I didn't pay attention to a '67 coupe I have.

Makes me think AMT had duplicate tools for some cars.

Hi,

I've been waiting for this kit to come out - mainly because I wrecked a body building one! Since it will be a drag version it'll be great to get rid of the plastic tyres.

The one I have been building is a kit bash between the AMT '63, a Revell snap '63 and a Revell '67. Since it is not stock the front crossmember being different isn't an issue. I have also got round the promo interior with some judicious kit bashing. Here's a pic of the chassis awaiting its new body and tyres:

63CorvetteChassisMockUpc_zpse0ea1081.jpg

Does the chrome look better quality? The quality of the chrome on mine isn't great and has a lot of flash on it.

The chrome is sometimes a bit of a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot at best ---

It is after all still a pretty old tool ---despite some new(er) parts that have been added ---

Some of the re-issues have very nice chrome but the flash flaw still remains -- a function of the age of the mold more than the quality of the chrome plating ----

(If the flash is not too large I shave it off with a razor blade or new #11 blade and touch up with a silver calligraphy pen --- works well for the smaller areas..)

By the way ----------Your drag car chassis looks really good so far ---!!! Post some finished pics too!!!

I have used this kit to restore a few of the annuals and can tell you there are differences. Both of my 64 annuals, one coupe and one convert, have the seats molded into the tub. The 65 coupe also has the seats molded in. I don't have a 65 vert yet so I don't know for sure on that one. My 66 coupe has the seats also molded in but the 66 vert has separate seats. Plus all of the annual fuelie motors are slightly different that the retooled releases. The annuals valve covers are taller, the top of the injection units have snowflakes cast on them instead of the crossed flanges. None of the annuals had the upper radiator hose. I understand that the hose showed up in the 66 annual with the big block engine.

The fuel injection script on the fender was added back in, lots of the 63's don't have it. I forget when, but it was pre-matchbox, after 67->63. The convertible too with the Prestige issue had script, I think the FI unit was newly tooled for convert? later, it is fairly different from my originals. Old SAE had article about Corvettes that had details like this in them. Agree with Raoul's other comments.

I have two earlier issues that have all the current parts and a old built up from my childhood, but I think I'll buy this reissue also. Can never have too many splitwindows. :) I just wish Revell would step up and give us an all new tooling.

Edited by 58 Impala

Yeah - an all new tooling from Revell would be great!

In the meantime the AMT '63 body looks pretty good and I've seen some people do really nice builds of them. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with the new release when it hits their benches.

Bill - I'll get a thread going on my drag version when I'm back onto it.

I have used this kit to restore a few of the annuals and can tell you there are differences. Both of my 64 annuals, one coupe and one convert, have the seats molded into the tub. The 65 coupe also has the seats molded in. I don't have a 65 vert yet so I don't know for sure on that one. My 66 coupe has the seats also molded in but the 66 vert has separate seats. Plus all of the annual fuelie motors are slightly different that the retooled releases. The annuals valve covers are taller, the top of the injection units have snowflakes cast on them instead of the crossed flanges. None of the annuals had the upper radiator hose. I understand that the hose showed up in the 66 annual with the big block engine.

I checked the original AMT '65 convertible that's in my stash. The seats are separate. Like Raoul's, my original '64 convertible has the seats molded in.

Love this kit. I've built a couple over the years. With a little paint and chrome foil, one has pretty nice looking '63 Vette. Despite the old tooling, I think it looks as good as Revell's modern snap-kit version when done. Though I do like that the Revell version portrays an air conditioned Vette with a Powerglide and basic wheel covers. The old AMT can be built as carbureted or a fuelie, but only with the four-speed and optional aluminum wheels. Both versions are cool. Close, but different. I like that.

This is one of those classic old AMT and MPC kits that I'm glad Round 2 keeps on reissuing. I love the new stuff, with it's greater detail. But, I still very much enjoy building these old classic kits. With a little work they still make fine replicas of my dreams.

I do wish Round 2 would consider reissuing MPC's old 1/16 scale '63 Corvette. Another fun kit that hasn't been seen in a while. And I wonder when and if, someone will offer a nice promo or kit of 2014 Stingray in 1/25 scale?

R. Scott

And I wonder when and if, someone will offer a nice promo or kit of 2014 Stingray in 1/25 scale?

R. Scott

In another thread someone said they saw that a '14 Corvette Stingray coupe and '15 convertible promos are coming this year...no indication of what company, though...

Here's the version I was talking about. it only had the 427.

63vet_zps6ecdefee.jpeg

That's the box art the new reissue is using also.

The Barris Cruisin' USA issue from around 1980 also was 427 only also IIRC. I assume they were that way since the kit was backdated from the '67 annual.

Edited by Rob Hall