Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which kit has the best Chevy LS type engine?

Strangely I have only one kit with an LS type engine in my whole stash! The Revell Corvette C5-R. But I didn't really want to grab that one as it's one I have partially built and want to finish. Is there a current kit available that has a nice LS engine in it besides the obvious Corvette and Camaro kits? I'm thinking of using one in another 61 Impala....

If you're looking for an LS with a conventional transmission, the Revell '02 Camaro and '10 Camaro are the only options as far as I know. Also newer GTOs have them but I don't know for sure if there is a kit of one available. Other than that I think you're pretty much stuck with corvettes.

The Revell Camaro LS's are great options with the tranny attached to the engine rather than a transaxle as in the Corvette. The Polar Lights GTO LS engine is NOT (IMO) a good option. Another option is the Revell 99 Silverado which depicts a cast iron version of the LS, but still usable. In some cases you will have to work the intake/induction systems to fit what you want and also what you want to do to shroud the coil packs.

The 2010 Camaro and Silverado are auto transmissions. The 2002 Camaro has a manual trans.

Also the recent reissue of the SSR would have the Sliverado LS engine as well (again auto trans)

HTH

Edited by Exotics_Builder