Model Cars Magazine Forum

Master Airbrush?

So I've been on the debate about airbrushes and have a quick question for you guys. I used to have a Paache VL long time ago. Of course when I want to get back into the hobby I can't seem to find it. It came with the 3 needles, 2 bottles (big and small) and metal cup. With it being a suction feed I remember the pain I had in cleaning in between colors and the waste of paint associated with the cleaning. I was thinking of going to a gravity feed AB and read on here that someone suggested a Master AB as they were extremely comparable to the Badger line. However when I was on tcpglobal.com website there seem to be a dozen different choices. So my question to you guys is what would you get? My situation is as follows.

- limited budget ($75-100)

- already have a air compressor (it's an oiled model from harborfrieght) http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-compressor-67501.html

- Will need airline hose and other accessories (need to stay within budget though)

- Am pretty much relearning what I was taught 15+ years ago so I need to start slow

- Here's the line I'm looking at: http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/masgrav.aspx

So anyone that has experience with this line or the comparable badger (assuming what I read was true) if you could give me some feedback on how you like it, as far as feel, quality, clean up, paint spray, etc.. that would be much appreciated. No huge rush in making this purchase, maybe by months end or early next month though.

Thank you everyone!

Let's put it this way , I can have the Paache apart , cleaned , put back together , and painting again , before you have the dual action broken down .

This airbrush doesn't need to be taken apart each and every time . Simply flush it out by spraying laquer thinner through it after you're done painting for the day .

Sounds good, I'll definitely look into it! What's your take on the Talon? I know you're leaning me towards the single action but I was just curious on what you thought about that model too. Checking out Don's airbrush Tips page now! Thanks again for your feedback though. Been looking about your DVD's soon too, so I'm going to be sure to add that to my list of "must haves" after my AB purchase!

Well started reading lots of reviews on the Pachee H and think I will lean towards that. I really like that you say its nice and easy to clean which is a plus. Not to mention I don't plan on doing any intricate work right away. I need to get back in the saddle and remember what I learned 15+ years ago. I have one more place to look for my old airbrush (pachee VL) but if I don't find it there I will order that kit by the end of the month or beginning of the next. Thanks for the help!!

Inline moisture / oil traps are a must ! No sense in getting Murphy involved anymore than you have to . As for the H series , for what it is worth , that's all I use .

Unless you plan on intricate paintwork , you can't go wrong with the single action . Gotta walk before you run ! Maybe later down the road , you'll graduate to a dual action . I will be investing in one shortly . Looks like I'll be doing some weathering , nice to have one lying around the shop anyways !

Paasche H is a nice airbrush. Remove the set screw and get a longer one and also a thumbscrew from Lowe's. Use Loctite to attach the new set screw into the thumbscrew. Screw into airbrush body. No more digging around for the little wrench. Just twist the thumbscrew to loosen/tighten.

Good tip there, any chance when you get a moment to post a picture of what you're mentioning? I did a little price comparison and noticed that if I use the hobby lobby 40% off coupon the H model is only .15 cents more then if I buy it online at the cheapest place I've found (think it was either dixieart or coast airbrush) after shipping. Of course I'm always looking to help my community so unless I can find it cheaper than $61.95 after shipping I'll be picking one up in the next few weeks. What I need to find is a pistol grip style moisture trap for it less than $30 from what they want there (of course it would only be $19.55 if I went to another store to use the coupon). Any thoughts on those moisture traps at all? Here's the link. Thanks again guys. Paasche H here I come!

• 4 months later...

Here's what I did thanks to a post from a fellow MCM member. Sorry, but I don't recall his name - but thank you again.

100_4265.jpg

The knurled brass fitting is the piece mentioned. Just get a longer piece of set screw, locktite it into the brass fitting, and bing bang it's done. Works very well.

Here´s some info/review of the Paasche H. https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/paasche-h

Also, there´s a lot of info and reviews of other airbrushes and stuff on that homepage. I have several AB´s, some are siphon feed and some gravity feed, I don´t think it´s an issue to clean a siphon feed AB. In fact, I believe it´s a bit easier. Just keep a jar of cleaner/lacquer thinner ready, when you´re done with the painting - blow out what paint there´s left in the AB and then simply connect the jar of cleaner/lacquer thinner and give a good blast.

I used the Badger 250 on may last paint job and it worked great, i wonder how much more the Paasche H buys me?? with the 40% discount coupon at Michaels i picked it up for 16 bucks?? The nice thing about this brush is that clean-up is a breeze.