Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Germany VW Beetle 1500 (Limousine and Cabriolet)

- The 'Limousine' (German for sedan, or saloon) is the 'Standard' version, as opposed to the 'Export' version and hence lacks the US spec bumpers and taillights. The 'Export' was available in Europe as well though, at extra cost of course, but the 'Standard' wasn't available in the US.

- The seats in the convertible kit are the 'integral' ones, i.e. the ones with the integrated headrests. Those weren't available for this car. They only became optional in the 1302 the following year.

I hope they are going to follow up with an Export Limousine, including a few EMPI goodies. Maybe Inch Pincher decals as well? And/or parts and decals to do a Salzburg rally version?

A Polizei version of the Standard wouldn't hurt either.

- The 'Limousine' (German for sedan, or saloon) is the 'Standard' version, as opposed to the 'Export' version and hence lacks the US spec bumpers and taillights. The 'Export' was available in Europe as well though, at extra cost of course, but the 'Standard' wasn't available in the US.

- The seats in the convertible kit are the 'integral' ones, i.e. the ones with the integrated headrests. Those weren't available for this car. They only became optional in the 1302 the following year.

I hope they are going to follow up with an Export Limousine, including a few EMPI goodies. Maybe Inch Pincher decals as well? And/or parts and decals to do a Salzburg rally version?

Glad to see you back, Christian.

I know it's a different model year, and perhaps would have better sales being full-detail, but from what I've seen you have to pay someone $20 to take one of the Hasegawa Polizei Beetles off your hands. I've seen them as cheap as $12.50 with no takers.

I know it's a different model year, and perhaps would have better sales being full-detail, but from what I've seen you have to pay someone $20 to take one of the Hasegawa Polizei Beetles off your hands. I've seen them as cheap as $12.50 with no takers.

Possibly only feasible for the European market, where the Hasegawa cop bug is a stronger seller. OK, one could butcher the police parts from a Hasegawa for the Revell. In essence it's only the dome light and loudspeaker anyway.

Standard beetles will also make fine German, Austrian, or Swiss postman cars, if you're starved for ideas.

Now, where did you say they sell Hasegawa beetles for 12.50?

Thanks for posting this Luc! You saved me a bunch of money.

My personal opinion...This kit is so disappointing on many different levels.....subject matter ( why this year/model?)...why all of the soft engraving (looks like a diecast).....why does the engine look like a toy ( half of the crank pulley is missing)????

I'm sure the huge investment was researched in advance for return on investment, but I just don't get it. Look at any vw magazine on line or in print from USA, France, UK, etc and you will see a very distinct pattern......

Split windows are HOT.

Resto cal is hot.

Vw coach builds are hot.

Calif. Look is hot.

Vintage semi-rat rods are hot.

Vintage speed equipment from the fifties and sixties is hot.

These 2 kits are none of those things.

The first sign that these kits would be weak are the overly photoshopped press pictures. Minichamps vw's of these same subjects look better to me.

I'll back up my rant with a new project i have started in addition to the type 34 Ghia I am working on.

Buy these kits if you want, don't let me stop you, but I have no interest even as a VW NUT and there are no parts that I could use on other projects shown so far. I have a bunch of vw projects going on my fotki....empinut.

Flame on.

Cheers

Possibly only feasible for the European market, where the Hasegawa cop bug is a stronger seller. OK, one could butcher the police parts from a Hasegawa for the Revell. In essence it's only the dome light and loudspeaker anyway.

Standard beetles will also make fine German, Austrian, or Swiss postman cars, if you're starved for ideas.

Now, where did you say they sell Hasegawa beetles for 12.50?

Here ya go Hasewaga VW Beetle Type 1 Police Car for the low low price of $9.12!!

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG20251/Aut

I'm with EMPINUT on this one. There's nothing right about these cars; import, export, Canadian, or otherwise. That sedan is such a mis-match of model years that there is zero interest from me. And I was heavily into the air-cooled scene in the 80's and know and love these cars.

I wish Hasagawa or Tamiya would give us a nice Split or a Hebmuller!

It looks as if rather than use a restored bug for reference, they used a resto-bug, and not a very good one. Whats with the hubcaps being cast as part of the chrome wheels? And chrome running boards? Ugly tires? I was pretty excited at first, but now, not so much.

Oddly, the Limousine (sedan) is now showing as 'discontinued' on the Revell website..

http://www.hobbyshipper.com/cgi-bin/wsr600p?V=RMX&I=RVLS7083

I wonder what's up with that....cancelled?

Revell Germany posted pics of the sedan on their FB page yesterday, guess we'll see when Brett Barrow, posts an updated Revell-Monogram monthly release list.

Oddly, the Limousine (sedan) is now showing as 'discontinued' on the Revell website..

http://www.hobbyshipper.com/cgi-bin/wsr600p?V=RMX&I=RVLS7083

I wonder what's up with that....cancelled?

Well I believe as was mentioned earlier they weren't going to import (or import very few) of the Revell Germany versions of it to the U.S. The Revell US part of Hobby Shipper still shows it as pending. Interestingly enough Tower Hobbies doesn't even have a listing for it on the Revell Germany side at all, only on the Revell U.S. side.

That would seem to eliminate the possibility for your LHS to order it, and well frankly I stopped buying the reboxed kits because Revell Germany doesn't mold their kits to be crammed into our North American boxes and I got tired of getting $27 worth of warped and broken plastic.

The Revell US part of Hobby Shipper still shows it as pending. Interestingly enough Tower Hobbies doesn't even have a listing for it on the Revell Germany side at all, only on the Revell U.S. side.

Interesting..I missed that because the US rebox doesn't come up if you search on 'VW'--the RoG kits come up, but the US one only comes up if you search on 'Beetle' ---probably because the title of the listing doesn't have 'VW' in it and the search only looks at that field.

Edited by Rob Hall

The Revel US boxing is still planned for Nov. They didn't import many (if any at all) of the Revell-Germany boxings because a US box had already been planned before the RoG kit was released. Once a US box comes out it tends to turn the (usually higher priced) German boxing into a dust collector.

There's no planned US boxing of the Cabrio, so look for that one in the RoG box.

http://www.hobbyshipper.com/cgi-bin/wsr600p?V=RMX&I=RMXS4192

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...