Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1967 GTO Kit

I'm about 90% done with this kit (molded in white). Although I haven't been back to modeling long this is the worst kit I've done out of the ten or so I've started. The flash and junk I can work around, but this kit lacks a lot of detail too. Anyway, my .02 worth. I wouldn't build another.

Dale

Charlie was there much modifying to the 66 chassis to get it under the 67 AMT body.?? That sounds great and I have never seen or thought of this..

From what I remember seeing, it was a matter of fitting and trial-and-error.

Alternately, you might want to consider the AMT 1966 Olds 4-4-2s, as well or one of the Lindberg 1966-67 A-bodes (4-4-2 or Chevelle.) Just remember to install the Pontiac engine/transmission and make sure the rear axles are the same, as each division also had its own rear axles, although sometimes, the carriers (differential) were shared on similar cars.

Charlie Larkin

• 4 years later...
14 minutes ago, Motor City said:

So many on this forum dogged the various versions of this kit that I forced myself to buy a red promo of it.  Thanks a lot, guys!

You got a good one, before the body got butchered two or three times. Congratulations!B)

About 15 years ago I lucked into a fairly cleanly built original issue. The difference between its body and the reissues is stunning. When I get around to rebuilding it, I'm gonna paint it black just to show off. B)

Snake,

This one was a scratched up mess, but since it was molded red plastic, I was able to polish it so it looks new.  The rear bumper has a slight twist to it, but the chrome is otherwise decent.  I carefully polished the glass so it looks awesome.  

There are plenty of rough promos out there that can be repainted.  The only disadvantage is not being able to open the hood, but how often does anyone open the hood?

A black GTO sounds like it would be a real nice choice!

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You got a good one, before the body got butchered two or three times. 

The difference between its body and the reissues is stunning

I was able to buy an Airfix release of that kit, which in fact is just a rebox of the Mpc annual and yes when comparing the bodies (original vs '80s), one can see that the wheel-well areas have been reworked poorly.

But the chrome and glass are good to restore old annual kits and promos.

th?id=OIP.dZ8Qzi7Lw2p8z0HPA2WrXwHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&w=242&h=162

th?id=OIP.-L4p3Pv3Lcd7QW9GyEXUWwHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=218&h=165

Here a link to more photo's of my Airfix kit....

http://ultimategto.com/modbox3.htm

11 hours ago, ss2000 said:

Anyone have an original and a reissue to show pics and compare? 

Not sure much would show up in photos. Most of the problem is in things like minor but annoying sinkholes, uneven/unstraight lines, wavy surfaces, and so forth. The basic shape is still in there but you have to liberate it--when I built mine, I had something like 40 hours in filling, straightening, and block-sanding the body. :angry:

67GTO02.jpg.735c3e873138f27143d906e33ba18626.jpg

67GTO08.jpg.9eec11dc5fad65c612e946072e45973b.jpg

I have both a hardtop that I built almost 30 years ago, and a Modelhaus Resin Convertible. They are both in the basement collecting dust. I had planes to do a more accurate 67 using a Revell 66, as I have never been satisfied with the detail in the windshield area on the MPC. I built my first one Xmas 1966, when I got the GTO and the Corvette.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Not sure much would show up in photos. Most of the problem is in things like minor but annoying sinkholes, uneven/unstraight lines, wavy surfaces, and so forth. The basic shape is still in there but you have to liberate it--when I built mine, I had something like 40 hours in filling, straightening, and block-sanding the body. :angry:

67GTO02.jpg.735c3e873138f27143d906e33ba18626.jpg

67GTO08.jpg.9eec11dc5fad65c612e946072e45973b.jpg

Nice build Snake

On 6/9/2019 at 2:41 AM, RichCostello said:

I'm building the Revell 66 GTO now, and it's a really nice kit. With the 66 and 67 GTOs looking so much alike, I'm wondering why anyone even bothers with this MPC turd.

Because it is a 1967. The 1972 seats are annoying. Mine came with a 1970 GTO nose!

I was just looking at my only copy of this kit last night. It is the "Xander Cage" Version from the XXX Movie. Has the goofy Hood Scoop, and odd Dash with all the little chrome instrument pods in it. The chrome wheels are the 5 spokers that were tooled for the movie car as well. They are (IMHO) lousy, with solid spokes and poor detail.

I hope the original Chrome Tree gets back in the kit. It has softly detailed Pontiac rims, and some decent Vector (Dukes of Hazard) style rims instead. The kit hoods all fit badly. Too wide at the hinges. I hope the Kats, sweat the details on this kit, and get the correct seats, rear axle, and options back in the box. Strangely, my XXX kit still has the optional spoiler in the kit, that is shown on the original instruction sheet. I've not seen that before.  I am betting that the Christmas Tree and Timing Lights are back in the kit. too, since the car is pictured at a Drag Strip.

After looking at the plastic, I have to say that my opinion of this kit has changed. It has gone up. It looks better than I remembered, and except for a really awful fitment of the engine and transmission, looks like it might make a nice shelf model. 

Edited by alexis
spelling errors

• 4 months later...