Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/16th Kenworth Coming......

Mr mopar

Didn't Revell reissue the flatbed 1/16 trailer a decade ago or so? I see it's back up to $100+ on the secondary market again, though.

I guess it was about that long ago when I bought it. I bought two KWs and two trailers then. Despite all of the talk for the 1/16th scale trucks now, at that time, they weren't big sellers back then. I saw several hanging around hobby shops around the southeast USA during that that time not being sold. I got good prices for these. People always claim they want this and that, yet when they become available, there is more hype than purchasing.

If memory serves, the 1/16 Peterbilt and Kenworth Aerodyne kits were reissued by Revell/Germany, but I think it was in the late 80's or the 90's. The white Peterbilt in the larger box was one of them, but I don't recall the box art on the KW. I'm almost positive there have been no reissues since as it was in the early-2000's that I was doing my customs and none were available in stores, Ebay was about the only source.

As to people not buying them when they come out, part of it is the limited appeal of 1/16. As to what I perceive as the recent rebirth of the truck model hobby due to the reissue of so many kits from the 70's in all scales, I think the model companies are reissuing them in part due to the need to survive and also because they finally realized that all of us who built these kits 40 years ago as kids are still around. Some "grew out of it" and some are lifelong model builders, so why not give us what we want. Personally, if I could afford to, I'd be hoarding these truck kits while they're in stores and relatively inexpensive. Once they discontinue them the prices will start to rise on the secondary market, and before long we'll be saying (again) "remember a few years ago when that kit was in the stores?" I honestly doubt we'll ever see our old favorites reissued again in these quantities, so all I can say is get 'em while they're hot! :)

If memory serves, the 1/16 Peterbilt and Kenworth Aerodyne kits were reissued by Revell/Germany, but I think it was in the late 80's or the 90's. The white Peterbilt in the larger box was one of them, but I don't recall the box art on the KW. I'm almost positive there have been no reissues since as it was in the early-2000's that I was doing my customs and none were available in stores, Ebay was about the only source.

As to people not buying them when they come out, part of it is the limited appeal of 1/16. As to what I perceive as the recent rebirth of the truck model hobby due to the reissue of so many kits from the 70's in all scales, I think the model companies are reissuing them in part due to the need to survive and also because they finally realized that all of us who built these kits 40 years ago as kids are still around. Some "grew out of it" and some are lifelong model builders, so why not give us what we want. Personally, if I could afford to, I'd be hoarding these truck kits while they're in stores and relatively inexpensive. Once they discontinue them the prices will start to rise on the secondary market, and before long we'll be saying (again) "remember a few years ago when that kit was in the stores?" I honestly doubt we'll ever see our old favorites reissued again in these quantities, so all I can say is get 'em while they're hot! :)

The Revell Germany Kenworth was Red flattop sleeper with flame decals and the Aerodyne was Blue with some kind of bird decal and strips .

Boxes are the same size. Last reissued around 1997.

I guess it take a lot of rubber to make the molds for 1/16th parts , I think monogram should put

both roofs in the kit ,so the builder has an option.

Doug

Yes you are correct there, over 3 kg's to just cast to hood, I have cast a few 1/16th parts, and have a few more to do, but yes it is costly,

I have also mastered a 36 inch bunk and areodyne roof, here is Australia, we call them High rise sleepersa Gold nugget style, there where many fitted to a SAR (Short Australian Right hand drive) KW's, which I have also mastered a conversion, including the 6 rod suspension, and Henrickson HAS 460, and new Alcoa rims to suit wether I cast this and offer it for sale is still up in the air, which is basically due to cost and if it is worth the return, considering that the kits will be around the $70 mark, and just a engine kit are $80-90

There was a few companies here that where doing 1/16th parts, 6v71 and 8v71. 3406, 350 and 400 big cam, as well as conversions, like pete 352,KW S2, and SAR and short hood W model think there was also a LTL, these ended up at JayMar and where made of Fibre glass, and they where junk if you can find a pre Jaymar cab or conversion then it would be much better than the JayMar stuff, The cabs are un workable

Matt Burnett is having Porky cast his 1/16th stuff, so watch his website for any updates

Thanks Tony for the update on P&P resin works doing 1/16th parts , JayMar did a Peterbilt 362 cabover whitch needs a lot of help.someone needs to cast that cab.

Yes the Jaymar one is a 362, I have one, but have to tell you it ain't work casting, it is junk, you would be better of mastering another cab, and casting it different, to how this is, like I said before Jarmar or North coast hobbies as they are called now, castings are rubbish, they are cast in fibre glass, and are pulled out of the mould before they have fully harden, so they are warped, I'll take some pics and post them

Yes the Jaymar one is a 362, I have one, but have to tell you it ain't work casting, it is junk, you would be better of mastering another cab, and casting it different, to how this is, like I said before Jarmar or North coast hobbies as they are called now, castings are rubbish, they are cast in fibre glass, and are pulled out of the mould before they have fully harden, so they are warped, I'll take some pics and post them

I'll take some pics and post them

I already have post of this. Don't read you other threads?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6458

eef.jpg

Yea, I bought several of the Jaymar 1/16th scale items years ago. They are a far cry from the Colin Grey originals. I have been bashing them on forums for years and they finally respond to me over ten years ago by sending me an updated version of some Kenworth T600 fairings they made, that I bought originally. The originals were so brittle that when they arrived from to me in Florida, from Australia, by ship, 6 months later, they were in pieces, like corn flakes. He supposedly changed the formula of his casting material, which wasn't that much better. I don't know why his quality sucked the way it did. Didn't he have access to the same resin material the USA, Canadian and British casters used?

Ken Smith had articles in Car Modeler magazine that showed how to detail the 1/16 scale engines Colin Grey offered. The original parts by Colgrey components were top quality. I have never seen the originals for sale since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If memory serves, the 1/16 Peterbilt and Kenworth Aerodyne kits were reissued by Revell/Germany, but I think it was in the late 80's or the 90's. The white Peterbilt in the larger box was one of them

116Pete359ConvRoG.jpg

Here's the original issue:

e28471b9-6fa1-43a8-a181-1328443826bf.jpg

I couldn't find any other 1/16 Revell-AG tractor reissues, but this Monogram-branded kit looks to have been a European market reissue?:

116FruehaufTralerMonoEurope.jpg

Original issue Fruehauf Flatbed Trailer:

116FrueTrail.jpg

SSP(?) reissue:

116fruehauftrailerSSP.jpg

Is the main (only?) difference between the Kenworth W-900 and the Aerodyne the top of the sleeper?

KenworthW900ConvSSP.jpg

1df9f6eb-5593-4316-b313-fe619f0e1b16.jpg

Are the tires in all of these kits the same Michelin tires? Or are the front tires different from the drive axle tires? Are the trailer's tires the same as used on the tractors?

• 11 months later...

Be warned if you are working on 1/16 Revell/Mongram W900. Over time, the frame may start to sag.

I got one that I actually shortened and after a year long build and approaching a year on display in a proper environment, the rear drivers are now just off the ground.

The second, full length/unmodified and a build in process after several months will no longer pass the straight edge test.

Consider adding reinforcement early on in the build process

Peace