Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barris Cars

FASTBACK340

Well let's see... The Batmobile metal work was actually done by Bill Cushenbery. The Munster's Koach AND Dragula were designed by Tom Daniel. The Mach 5 was built by an independent and the Starsky and Hutch Torino was created by the production company on that show. I just love how old Georgie loves to steal credit for cars he never built just because he owns one now or the guy who really did build it used to work for him. Sam Barris was the true artist in that family, may he rest in peace. ;)

Whoops. Yes, I agree the Ala Kart is/was awesome. I have the kit in my stash waiting it's turn to be built. I think it was Sam Barris that built the Hiroshima?? Mercury. It's my understanding that George Barris puts his name on builds that he never touched. I don't know that for a fact though.

Whoops. Yes, I agree the Ala Kart is/was awesome. I have the kit in my stash waiting it's turn to be built. I think it was Sam Barris that built the Hiroshima?? Mercury. It's my understanding that George Barris puts his name on builds that he never touched. I don't know that for a fact though.

I know it for a fact. ;)

I found out a little tid bit of information a couple years ago. I dunno how many of you have visited the "Star Cars" museums, but, I have been to the one in Gattlinburg, TN a couple times. The last time I was there, I found out ole George owns part of that museum franchise. So, really there are a lot of non "Barris Cars" that technically are. But just by ownership. They have an Eleanor (67 GT500), multiple Fast and Furious cars, and many more that I am sure his hands never touched. It's still cool to see these reminders of tv and movies of the past.

Edited by Skydime

I rate Barris right up there with Coddington .. they just relied on other peoples skill to make a name for themselves. Now Jesse James, Chip Foose, Steve Strope ? Those guys are real artists ...

At one point in their careers both barris and coddington both built cars by their selves when they first started out my favorite car built was the old chevy on monster garage by all the old timers in custom car building

Dont care who built it, I love the 66 Batmobile.

You n me both brother!

John- My apologies for pigeon pooping on your day. I'm sure it was a thrill and a lot of fun. I should have just let it go and congratulated you in the first place, but having had my own personal experiences with the clan I couldn't hold my fingers back. I am very happy that a good guy like you enjoyed your time at the show. You'll hear no more about it from me unless you ask.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

I was there in '08 Ken. At that time he also had Herbie, Christine, and the Ghostbuster's Caddy. Small museum but worth a look if you are in town. He didn't have a Batmobile there because right down the street at Ripley's they have a Bob Butts replica.

I scared the heck out of my wife there. I made her go up the stairs first and made sure to goose her in the back a little when the lights came on. :lol: (You know what I mean by "the lights" ;) )

Edited by Skydime

EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST

OK, I am a moron for believing the person working the ticket booth. I just went to research where the other Star Cars museums are located. I found out that this is the only one. In fact, George Barris does own part of this business, that much was true. And I also found that most of the cars there really were used, at some point, in the associated tv shows or movies.

I scared the heck out of my wife there. I made her go up the stairs first and made sure to goose her in the back a little when the lights came on. :lol: (You know what I mean by "the lights" ;) )

Hey that's not funny man! I hear a grown man almost wet himself when that thing went off! :rolleyes:

John in post 17 you mentioned "In an adolescent way..." ;) Guy that's the best part! ^_^

Edited by MAGNUM4342

I've met George a couple of times. First time was in St Paul. I placed with his rendition of the Crusin USA merc in the Custom class. This is from my trip to LA a few years back.Picture029.jpg

Guess what was in the garage at the time.

]Picture023.jpg

Also John Schnieder's General Lee was in for some work.

Picture021.jpg

Mercman, you know that wasn't "the" Batmobile, don't you? (Look at the black windshield moldings) I think this is the Return To The Batcave replica, which Barris has owned for years.

yeah i know that, it was a parade version they use. It has a FM Stereo unit in it. But it was great all the same.