Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy HHR ?

The HHR has never been kitted or done as a promo...There were small quantities of Johnny Lightning 1/64 diecasts done in '06 in two colors, blue & silver. There was the large plastic Road Ripper musical toy (approx. 1/16 scale) also, and the uber-rare Road Ripper 1/26ish scale wired remote control, in which this master-in-progress is based:

IMG_12452.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

Edited by jeffs396

Actually, there was a rather large quantity of the Johnny Lightning HHR produced! I was part of the JL Product Development crew at Playing Mantis 2002-to the end of PM in late 2004.

Tony Karamitsos (who does the development of HO slot cars for Round2) did the product development work on the HHR, as an exclusive for GM, who ordered 30,000 to be used as promotional pieces starting with the introduction of the HHR. I got into that project a little bit, was neat seeing how something could be developed from CAD files. The Johnny Lighting HHR promo was done in dark metallic blue, and was released by GM at the Los Angeles Auto Show in early 2004, JL's own version went on sale in stores in late February 2004. Several releases of the JL HHR were produced throughout 2004, both from Playing Mantis, and later from RC2.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Wow, that many 1/64 JL diecasts made? People must really be sitting on them (I have 3 ;) ) because they usually go for $25-30 each on eBay, and I've never seen one at a toy/diecast show.

I had HUGE interest in this resin kit awhile back, but maybe now since 2011 was the final production year for the 1:1, folks have forgotten the HHR for the most part :(

Too bad they never made a Chevy Cobalt/Pontiac G5 kit either. Since they are all the same platform, the kit would make the perfect base to start on. I'm surprised no one has released this even in panel form by now.

Edited by Skydime

• 11 months later...

I would love a plastic HHR. And those little panel wagon versions of them are cool. If I had a business for which something like that would be appropriate, I'd have bought one in a second. The window version is nice, too.

I had one for a rental over New Year's weekend. I liked it a lot. Consistent 30 miles a gallon, decent on the highway, fairly comfortable. Definitely a car I would happily buy.

Charlie Larkin

I and two others in my club would like a decent 1:25 scale HHR. When I went back to Indiana for my fathers funeral I rented one and really liked it. Someone about two years ago on the Hobby Heaven board was working on a resin master. I bought one of those Road Ripper HHr's. It plays a Micheal Jackson song. I gave it to a club member. It's probably worth a fortune now since it plays a MJ tune.

Revell should have kitted the HHR instead of the SSR! I tried to get my wife to buy an HHR when she was looking for a vehicle once,but she said it looked too much like a PT Cruiser. :rolleyes: I tried to convince her that it was nothing like a PT Cruiser. But, it didn't work.

Too bad they never made a Chevy Cobalt/Pontiac G5 kit either. Since they are all the same platform, the kit would make the perfect base to start on. I'm surprised no one has released this even in panel form by now.

Amen and hallelujah, brother! I have a Victory Red 2006 Cobalt SS coupe, my first and only brand-new car, and would love to be able to build a model of it.