Model Cars Magazine Forum

2001 Ram trail rig

I've had this project in the box for almost a year now gathering parts. I wanted to build a replica of my 1:1 rig-

ext11-1.jpg

I started with a used/painted Revell VTS kit. I pulled the engine and axles (318, 9.25 rear, Dana 44 front) out of the Revell Gone Fishin' Ramcharger. It's really the only kit out there I found that has the right axles, and it just happened to have the 318 engine. I'll need to update it a bit to 5.2 specs, but no big deal. I pulled the wheels from the AMT Jeep kit, tires are from Ma's Resin (BTW- absolutely great quality and customer service). I spent months trying to find one of three kits out there (all too expensive to pull one piece out of) that have a Torqflite 727 trans, which is the only thing available that looks like a 46RE trans. I ordered it from MAD modeling, it's the only thing I don't have in my hands yet. I'll just need to change the tailshaft a bit and add a transfer case to make it work.

IMG125_zpsd2d8eadc.jpg

IMG124_zpse9e3ad77.jpg

The biggest challenge was updating the dash/interior from the 1997 truck to the 2001 truck. There aren't even any diecast models out there in the 1998-2001 years. Luckily, the Lindberg Dakota has the older dash style, which is pretty darn close to the later Ram style-

1998 Ram-

45643732.jpg

2001 Ram-

58291798.jpg

2000 Dakota-

45288314.jpg

So I sectioned out the Dakota parts to extend them to fit the Ram dash-

dash1_zps888942b0.jpg

Then glued, filled, and glued and filled some more-

dash5_zpsb44e1446.jpg

dash6_zps0956fa6d.jpg

dash11_zps3e37f420.jpg

dash12_zps9d43a856.jpg

dash10_zpsd67052f7.jpg

The headlight switch isn't where it should be, but I doubt anyone will notice. I just need to finish up the righthand side tomorrow. I just now realized that the lower portion should be concave, not convex like the Dakota dash. I hope no one can see it when I get it all together.

I also whipped up a rear bumper to replicate the 1:1 bumper-

sparecarrier3_24.jpg

27697_1313153600042_1566720010_3077.jpg

bumper4_zpsba6cfbc4.jpg

bumper5_zps369f98f8.jpg

bumper2_zps243f9b39.jpg

I think it looks pretty convincing, even if it is a scale 1.5" too long (measure twice, cut once). I actually need to measure the tire carrier, maybe this weekend.

I may start on the cap next week if I feel up to it.

Has anyone seen a 1/24 or 25th Federal Signal Streethawl lightbar? I've been to all the online diecast sites I can find, and they all have the same generic one that I've bought two of now from two different places, and it look nothing like the real deal.

Has anyone seen a 1/24 or 25th Federal Signal Streethawl lightbar? I've been to all the online diecast sites I can find, and they all have the same generic one that I've bought two of now from two different places, and it look nothing like the real deal.

Try Dave Panek at : wcltdnut@yahoo.com. His custom vacuum formed bars are AWESOME! He is reasonably priced, and great to deal with! You will not be dissappointed.

Nice work so far James! The Monogram '91 Ford F250 has a lot better looking set of spoke wheels in it. Here's what they look like.

035-4_zpsfda5b9e1.jpg

Interesting. I went and looked at the DPMCC instructions site and didn't find the F250, then I realized why! I haven't sent the directions in to him yet! I have the kit, It's just 1500 miles away from me right now, and I told him I would send him the directions when I pull it out in a few months. So I went and found the Jeep i actually pulled the wheels from, which also happens to be Monogram (not AMT like I wrote before), so now I wonder if they're the same tooling. I will have to compare the two when I dig out the F250. I found a pic of them on here, and they actually look wider, which would help with the big tires.

Try Dave Panek at : wcltdnut@yahoo.com. His custom vacuum formed bars are AWESOME! He is reasonably priced, and great to deal with! You will not be dissappointed.

Just shot one off to him. Thanks for the help!

While it not be 100% correct, the light that comes in the Revell Caprice police/fire kit is a StreetHawk, its missing the takedowns/alley/rear flashers, or you can get from here as well

http://www.policecarmodels.com/1stliformopo.html

It all depends if you want the all dome version, or the speaker version, I which one Dave makes, I think he makes both.

so now I wonder if they're the same tooling. I will have to compare the two when I dig out the F250. I found a pic of them on here, and they actually look wider, which would help with the big tires.

The wheels from the F250 and the Jeep are completely different toolings. The Jeep wheels are a bigger diameter,shallow and small center caps while the F250s are smaller diameter,deep and have better sized center caps.

Nothing really exciting to report. In the 10+ years I've owned the truck, I think I've had the center seatback up maybe twice, so I had to put it down for the model-

seats1.jpg

seats6.jpg

Started the conglomeration of plastic for the passenger side dash-

dash13.jpg

Really cool project! Can you post some pictures of the tires and tell me more about them? I'll really apreciated that, becouse I'm in the search for some 33-35 tires for varios models.

These are the BFG Mud Terrains available from Ma's Resin. Alan is a great guy, and these tires are excellent scale reproductions. You can see all the scaled dimensions of them at- http://www.magazinepublisher.com/models/tires/tires.html (third tire down). The ones I have are actually 37.5mm diameter, and have the 18mm opening. The Jeep wheels fit perfect. They are molded in soft black resin, almost like rubber, but Alan told me it's not. My truck has Dunlop Mud Terrains, and the BFGs are the closest tread pattern. I'll probably sand off the BFG lettering to run them right side out, since the inside sidewall is a bit less "bulgey". Pics-

tires1.jpg

tires2.jpg

I ordered up a Streethawk from Dave. I'm excited for it to get here!

I'm 99% sure I know what you're talking about, so, no. I was a volley FF for years, and I worked construction, so I've got red and amber in there. Now that I've moved out of MA, I left it on there for the takedowns when I use them in the woods at night.

Was I right? :D

I'm 99% sure I know what you're talking about, so, no. I was a volley FF for years, and I worked construction, so I've got red and amber in there. Now that I've moved out of MA, I left it on there for the takedowns when I use them in the woods at night.

Was I right? :D

Yep, you are correct :lol: , even volley FF call them selfs whackers :D , well at-least on a light forum , I got some stuff on my POV, I would post a video link, but dont want to hijack your thread

Yep, you are correct :lol: , even volley FF call them selfs whackers :D , well at-least on a light forum , I got some stuff on my POV, I would post a video link, but dont want to hijack your thread

'Whackers?'

Firefighter 22 years and I never heard that term before. Certainly not in reference to the true American heroes who are volunteer firefighters.

Are you sure they're not referring to you as wacky? :wacko:

'Whackers?'

Firefighter 22 years and I never heard that term before. Certainly not in reference to the true American heroes who are volunteer firefighters.

Are you sure they're not referring to you as wacky? :wacko:

Thats a term that has been coin to people who like flashy lights , (emergency lights), dont take the term as something negative ;) , but there are sometimes when being a whacker and what you do is bad

how not to be a whacker http://elightbars.org/f35/official-whacker-screwed-up-install-thread-185/

Sorry James, I really was not trying to derail your thread ;)

No problem! :) I do like flashy lights (I'm on ELB too), but I never put myself in the whacker category, since I've always had an actual use for them. Now that I don't......hmmm.....

Finished up the dash-

dash16.jpg

dash17.jpg

dash18.jpg

Quick guide coat. I was surprised there really wasn't a ton of filling involved. I just need to scribe some panel lines, add one vent and I can call it good-

dash19.jpg

I had been trying to figure out a way to widen the wheels, since the center of the tires is smooth. After hours and hours of measuring :rolleyes: I finally added a simple strip to the inside. Works perfect-

wheels.jpg

I'll call this- "How to convert an NP205 transfer case to a NV231HD transfer case"

I don't think there are any kits out there that have a NV231 case, and all the aftermarket stuff I found was basically a copy of the NP205. I pulled this out of the Gone Fishin set-

transcase1.jpg

transcase2.jpg

A few cuts and a big tube I had for some reason-

transcase3.jpg

Then I added a flange. Not sure if anyone has ever done it this way before, but I found it was the easiest. I cut almost all the way through with a hobby saw, then slipped a piece of .010 in there. Sanded it down, and it looks pretty good.

transcase4.jpg

transcase6.jpg

transcase8.jpg

transcase9.jpg

Not a perfect copy of the NV231, but it will do the job.

I'm taking the weekend off to do some work around the house. I pulled up the carpet in my basement mancave to paint some of that epoxy floor coating so that when I drop small pieces they don't disappear into the carpet. :D

Has anyone ever used Tamiya plastic putty before? Hobby Lobby had some on sale so I grabbed a tube. It's like liquid plastic mixed with cement, so it actually bonds with styrene. Pretty good for filling, but takes forever to dry.

I needed to add about 4-5 scale inches of lift to the suspension, and I couldn't find any decent rear springs in my parts box, so I built some. I also built some "shackles". Even though they don't look exactly like real shackles, they work-

rear1.jpg

rear5.jpg

rear7.jpg

rear10.jpg

rear12.jpg

I had to go a bit higher than the lift in the 1:1 truck, because the real tires are 35" and the scale ones come out to about 37" at 1/25. I may even end up changing the shape of the fender just to be a bit more visually appealing.

I got some measurements off the front suspension last weekend, but when I tried to scale it all out, something didn't add up, so I need to crawl back under there this weekend and see what the deal is.