Model Cars Magazine Forum

31 ford model A 2n1

captin

This is a repop of a kit that has been around in various guises since the late '60s (the first version I have on my shelf is the sedan delivery of 1969). What some refer to as "fiddly" I refer to as challenging, and it will produce an outstanding model with some care and patience. It is definitely NOT a shake-the-box model.

The chassis is the same as all of Revell's 1/25 scale Model A kits, and is the best Model A chassis available in styrene. It will also fit under the AMT '29 Ford roadster with a little work, and is an excellent basis for building a correct A-V8. It is well detailed, has an excellent optional dropped I-beam front axle and accurate suspension. Removing whatever chrome offends is simple with oven cleaner, etc.

Though the tooling is old and there may be a little more flash and sink marks than a newb would like to see, I personally feel this is still an excellent kit for anyone willing to expend some extra effort to get out of it what its potential offers.

It IS challenging however, and I have a lot of awful gluebombs of these kits that attest to what happens if a builder rushes assembly, doesn't understand the instructions, or is just plain sloppy.

It WILL fit together and make a beautiful model.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If this is the one I think, The body is separate from the cowl because this kit could

also build the Woody wagon. The Original issue had both the Sedan, & Wagon bodies

in the box.

The Woody was re-issued in the 70's as the "Woodstosck" kit molded in tan.

I built that as a Teen(Early) will little trouble.

I like the styeering and the Prototypically Corret Butterfly hinged hood in this kit

versus AMT's one piece lift off piece.

I used spare/extra Hood hinge pieces on my Fire Chief issue of AMT's 32 Vicky

Ya when i opened the kit up i saw the body and saw that there were no doors on it and so fare i haven't built a kit where you can open the doors. i originally wanted to take this and turn it into a truck but im having issues on trying to figure it out. but thanks everyone for the advice on this kit looks like im going to have my hands full with this one.

Well, I told a lot who said that about the Old tool All working features Revell Tri-5 Chevy's, I will Take all you have if you don't like them!!!!!

I built this "Woodstock" issue when New.

31-Woody-Ls.jpg

And it is very Easy to fix the doors. Just remove the molded pin on the male hinge piece

and make a new hinge pin with a straight pin.

the cap of the pin on top will prevent the door from lifting off. (If you correctly glue/epoxy it to the male

hinge part mounted to the body

Edited by Edsel-Dan

It looks like the "Halibrand mags called out in the instruction sheet are the same wheels Round2 recently tooled up and included with both the Studebaker Avanti and 289 Cobra kits:

c7447f21-0e37-4f99-a1b4-9ce921d39b47.jpg

4c68774d-307e-42f3-8db0-cf8eaa880b6c.jpg

This would be the reissue to avoid...unless you like the two-piece Revell tires of the late '70s-mid '80s :(

Rev31ModelADelHapDays.jpg

I have too many of those 2 piece tires.

I replaced them on many builds.

They are in the Red issue All Features 57 Bel Air I have in the 3 car 53, 55, 57 set.

I used AMT Firestone Supreme's on one I built in 79.

Sold it about 10-15 years later.

I think I used Patra red on it.

I think the difference in this issue is that the mags are now able to work with the newer "rat rod" whitewalls. At least that is the case with the last reissue of the 29 pickup, and the box for the 31 sedan shows the mags and whitewalls used together. Older issues either omitted mention of the mag wheels (Americans in the 29) or had optional tires for the mags (I think this is what the last issue of the 31 did).

Can this be built stock? I have a woody that was issued sometimes in the last 10-15 years downstairs, and that would make a nice companion if it can be.

Charlie Larkin

If you need or want stock wheels and tires I have a couple of sets extra I would trade for something.

nice kit overall. lots of good parts for kitbashing.

It looks like the "Halibrand mags called out in the instruction sheet are the same wheels Round2 recently tooled up and included with both the Studebaker Avanti and 289 Cobra kits:

c7447f21-0e37-4f99-a1b4-9ce921d39b47.jpg

4c68774d-307e-42f3-8db0-cf8eaa880b6c.jpg

Are these the alternative wheels that are included in all the relatively recent releases of this kit? Been searching for info on this, but haven't found any definite info - mostly just the vague line drawings in the instructions which don't help much!

Thanks!

anybody building a Model A Ford should be able to find millions of reference photos in Google Images alone... there's also the Model A Club that has a plethora of detailed photos and reference guides for colors, how the color combinations were put together, and what the interior looked like.

all of Revell's Model A Fords shared basic engineering and the wheels/tires from any one kit will work on another. AMT's '29 roadster and MPC's '29 Pickup/woodie CAN be kitbashed with Revell parts but there are kit-engineering differences in the way both companies approached problems.

Revell's chromed multi-piece front suspension can be a PITA to assemble but it is WELL worth the effort in the result.

my only gripe with Revell is that they NEVER gave the builder an optional V8 for the A.... by 1962, when this kit was issued, not many banger 4's were still IN Model A's! of course, deciding which of many different V8's to include probably proved more than they wanted to handle!

my only gripe with Revell is that they NEVER gave the builder an optional V8 for the A.... by 1962, when this kit was issued, not many banger 4's were still IN Model A's! of course, deciding which of many different V8's to include probably proved more than they wanted to handle!

Putting a V8, even a flathead Ford, in a Model A requires firewall and frame modifications, both in 1:1 and in scale. It's easy enough to do in 1:1, and easy enough to swap anything into it in scale. BUT, to offer an "optional V8" in the kit and have it just slip right in would have required tooling modifications. Probably as long as the kits were selling, there wasn't any particular incentive to make tooling changes. And the kits MUST have been selling, or there wouldn't be so many available on the auction sites.

To clarify, I don't mean the exact ones in that photo - is it that type of Halibrand mags? If not, what type is it?

They do look a lot like the Halibrands made for Studebaker ca.62-63, but those had knock-offs, the kit wheels are regular bolt-ons. I think the Stude wheels had functional knock-offs, but i could be wrong about that.

I've also seen some references made to the kit's wheels as Raders, but I can't find any Raders (or Radirs) that look anything like that.

The only 1:1 wheel I know of they look anything like would be those Studebaker wheels.

To clarify, I don't mean the exact ones in that photo - is it that type of Halibrand mags? If not, what type is it?

They are quite similar to a U.S. Mags design using raised-side-rib spokes with flat centers, still offered.....

http://www.carid.com/us-mags-wheels/daytona-polished-452424.html

And also some vintage Hurst wheels...

11Wheels013.jpg

But most probably represent the Halibrand design made for a Studebaker option, though the Stude had a 5 on 4.4" bolt pattern and the A had 5 on 5.5"...

Halibrand-Studebaker.jpg

HalibrandWheels-1.jpg

...offered separately....

halibrandstudebaker_zpsbd03b51c.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy