Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stan's International Pickup From "Yukon Men"

IMG_2462-vi.jpg

I watch the show "Yukon Men" on one of the cable channels. It's a reality show about the people who live in a remote village up in Alaska and how they survive. One of the main characters is Stan, a guy who was originally from Boston but moved to Alaska 30 something years ago and raised a family out in the wilderness.

The coolest aspect of the show for me is the vehicles they drive. The town is only accessible by water or air so the vehicles there are pretty much stuck there. In a few episodes they go to the dump to find parts for stuff and there has been a pan shot of ancient cars and trucks there. I am hoping the do a decent tour of the dump some episode.

Anyway, the most intriguing vehicle for me is Stan's International pickup because it's a purpose built mash of parts. It started out as an International Traveler 4 door SUV, which was cut off behind the front doors. Then an old Dodge pickup bed was added. The thing that makes this unique is that the bed doesn't fit, and sits back on the chassis, leaving a gap between it and the cab. Add in the plywood cab back and tail gate and this would be one cool old truck. And in all the episodes this vehicle never fails Stan, even in 40 below weather!

Note that all the photos here are shots I took with my digital camera of my TV screen. But good enough to build from...

IMG_2458-vi.jpg

This shot shows the gap between the truck cab and bed. It's a 4 wheel drive Traveller, which hasn't been kitted. My first thought was the Scout kit, but that's a much smaller truck, both length and width wise. I'd have to start with something like a 1970s Ford, Dodge or Chevy cab and modify it to look like the Traveller.

The red dot is from my camera, no I wasn't taking a shot at Stan!

IMG_2465-vi.jpg

Nothing in this view would be a problem for a junker modeler like me! I love the bed dent, ripped bumper and plywood tail gate!

So this one is on my very long build list for sometime in the future!

And a few more grainy pictures at my link:

http://public.fotki.com/modelcitizen/11_car_reference_library/yukon-men-stans-int/

And an album of a decent Traveller for details:

http://public.fotki.com/modelcitizen/11_car_reference_library/rusty-old-internati/

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to have a model (kit or resin) of that series International truck. I think Dave (Cargostar) is/was working on a Travelall or pickup resin kit of that vintage, not sure where he is at in the process.

Last I knew he was pretty far along. Sometime soon I hope! :D