Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

You AIN'T no slacker. You built a whole friggin' vintage concours worth of cars in the time I've been noodling... but I'm guilty as charged. :wacko:

Oh boy- am I gonna nit-pick your Rolls.... :lol:

Edited by Cato

You AIN'T no slacker. You built a whole friggin' vintage concours worth of cars in the time I've been noodling... but I'm guilty as charged. :wacko:

We just have slightly different building philosophies. When it comes to detail, I defer to you. You may take forever, but the end result is spectacular.

Cato if you put the fenders side by side it might give you and idea where the differnce starts. There are some holes in the flanges that you could yse to line them up. I don't think not doing anything is practical from looking at the comparison it seems that would cause more problems. Which fender works the best at this point?

Cato if you put the fenders side by side it might give you and idea where the differnce starts. There are some holes in the flanges that you could yse to line them up. I don't think not doing anything is practical from looking at the comparison it seems that would cause more problems. Which fender works the best at this point?

Did that. The holes are for bolts into the body side. I have rotated them forward on the body so they flair up in the rear a bit. The one with the greater arc shows too much tire gap for my taste. So I must either tighten that one or open the other - which I'm reluctant to do.

I've just completed and attached the sub-floor today. Now no crossmembers poking through. Thinking about seats now.

And window frames and door fitments and coachlines and hood hinges and cowl attachment and...and...and...............

Just curious you should ask Harry if the fenders on his RR are the same.

Harry just told us he doesn't care! :lol:

Besides, when he finishes that station wagon in a week or two I'll have something to henpeck him about.

And you know? He won't care... B)

I see but Harry's starting with the Torpedo model which has (different) full fenders. He does have a Sedanca in waiting and if I bug him, he may check them for me. But he will need them for when he builds that car.

Didn't think you would get them from Harry. I suspect that the car used for measuring fenders were different. Those cars were hand made. I remember reading an article on 32 Fords and even they had differences.

I'm curious to se how you deal with the issue.

Stay tuned; I will post along the way.

Besides, when he finishes that station wagon in a week or two I'll have something to henpeck him about.

And you know? He won't care... B)

I can guarantee you it won't be finished in a week or two! Maybe a month or three... that's a really long-term project in my world! :lol:

And the beauty of it is, I'll be building a custom-bodied car that has no exact counterpart in the 1;1 world, so I can't make a mistake! It's impossible for me to be "wrong!"

What a deliciously devious plan... Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... :P

I can guarantee you it won't be finished in a week or two! Maybe a month or three... that's a really long-term project in my world! :lol:

A month? Three? Harry it took me a month just to organize my parts. It took me a month to build the engine and patina it. That's just examples. The reasons for that are;

A. I'm not so talented.

B. I am anal to the point of illness.

And yes, I will nit pick because I'm a sick man that needs help. You of course will be laughing when I tell you the fender is 3mm too long because you're enjoying your work and will produce a masterpiece anyway.

You hold the gang's attention because you build really well, really quickly and in a very open, instructional way. I on the other hand, belabor everyone's patience with minutia of little concern to the general building audience.

There's a fine line between a nit-pick and a nit-wit and I have surely crossed that line... :wacko::blink:

I agree with everything you said.

But let's put your anal retentiveness to good use here...

I'm gathering up the materials I'll need for my 1/8 woody, including Lexan for all the glass. The Pocher Star of India's glass pieces are 1/16 thick, which obviously scales out to 8/16, or 1/2 inch in 1:1 scale. Half inch thick glass might be correct for a bullet-proof car... :lol: ... but I'm building a "civilian" woody. Quarter inch thick glass seems "right" in my mind, meaning I'd need 1/32 Lexan.

Your opinion? Quarter inch thick glass seem about right to you?

I agree with everything you said.

But let's put your anal retentiveness to good use here...

I'm gathering up the materials I'll need for my 1/8 woody, including Lexan for all the glass. The Pocher Star of India's glass pieces are 1/16 thick, which obviously scales out to 8/16, or 1/2 inch in 1:1 scale. Half inch thick glass might be correct for a bullet-proof car... :lol: ... but I'm building a "civilian" woody. Quarter inch thick glass seems "right" in my mind, meaning I'd need 1/32 Lexan.

Your opinion? Quarter inch thick glass seem about right to you?

The Lexan that Marvin sells is .045 thick. That's .360 or just under 3/8" in 1:1. Sits comfortably in 3/32 SQUARE channel brass (if you make a brass / chrome frame as I am: DON'T get 'C-channel"). The wall thickness of the channel is ~ .028 total. Using same for side glass and frames. I used a sheet of .040 styrene seen here for mock-up:

482M_zpsf5vobqjg.jpg

Sure you can source .031 Lexan for that look you seek but I can tell you mine doesn't look bad.

Alternately, you could make a frame from styrene square rod, BMF it and sit the glass flush.

Glad to share anything you might not have seen in this thread. Ask away pal.

Oh and don't forget to whack the cowl frame at least 3mm before you make the frame and glass and build that giant roof.

See? I've started already... :P

I'm going to go with Plastruct ABS U-channel for the side window glass to ride in (roll-ups on the front doors, sliders on the rear doors and maybe the rear side glass behind the back doors). I think .030 Lexan will work pretty well. Might just go with the kit windshield, but of course the side (and back) glass shapes will be different from the kit, so I have to scratchbuild those.

And as far as whacking 3mm off the windshield frame... maybe, maybe not. Isn't the Sedanca a Phantom II? The Star of India is a PIII... so different dimensions. I'll have to see how it goes. I'll basically "eyeball" the design to what looks good to me.

BTW... getting my Lexan on ebay, but I might be placing a pretty hefty order over at Marvin's place soon... B)

I'm going to go with Plastruct ABS U-channel for the side window glass to ride in (roll-ups on the front doors, sliders on the rear doors and maybe the rear side glass behind the back doors). I think .030 Lexan will work pretty well. Might just go with the kit windshield, but of course the side (and back) glass shapes will be different from the kit, so I have to scratchbuild those.

And as far as whacking 3mm off the windshield frame... maybe, maybe not. Isn't the Sedanca a Phantom II? The Star of India is a PIII... so different dimensions. I'll have to see how it goes. I'll basically "eyeball" the design to what looks good to me.

BTW... getting my Lexan on ebay, but I might be placing a pretty hefty order over at Marvin's place soon... B)

Understood. Yes, Sedanca's a P II but they were built '29 to '35. No matter a P III, go with what your eye likes after looking at much reference.

My kit w'shield was scratched and junky and would not clean up even with polishing cloths. Will you Spaz the ABS frames or BMF?

Yes, M's probably living on that vacation property I bought for him and I've still got some final $$ bits to buy for completion. I will say it again though, his stuff is beautiful.

Will you Spaz the ABS frames or BMF?

Neither. They will represent the channels the glass runs in within the doors. No fancy chrome moldings on the window glass of a woody. And in this case, no chrome molding on the windshield either.

windows_zps2le0t8zn.jpg

Neither. They will represent the channels the glass runs in within the doors. No fancy chrome moldings on the window glass of a woody. And in this case, no chrome molding on the windshield either.

That will save you some hours. But you need a lot of M's door handles - inner, outer and rear...

The Star of India (on the book cover) is a 1934 Phantom II Cabriolet by Thrupp & Maberly. I got the reference book below for around $50 in 2006; goes for no less than $300 today. Covers info on virtually every PII and PIII chassis number.

rollsPII-PIIIbook_zpsd8ji16jp.jpeg

Edited by sjordan2