Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Trans Am Dual Build (1980 & 1987) WIP

Jordan White

Alright, this build will be a dual build with two generations of the Pontiac Trans Am in 1/16 scale. The first build is MPC's 1980 Pontiac Turbo Blackbird kit, and the second is Revell's 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

I'm going to make them be built as close to each other as possible, while at the same time being factory stock (minus assembly line markings). So both will be metallic maroon exterior (Montreux Maroon for the 1980, Flame Red Metallic for the 1987), both tan interior, and both with gold spoked wheels. Of course the drivetrains will be different, but both V8s with automatic transmission. The '80 will be the Turbo 301 with the TH350, and the '87 will be the TPI 350 with the 700R4.

One thing I did notice is even though the 1:1 cars have similar dimensions, the kits are somewhat different sized. Using the wheelbase for comparison, the '80 appears to be almost spot on while the '87 is slightly smaller (even though the instructions say that Revell used blueprints furnished by Pontiac). Of course, once built, I think the difference will be less noticeable.

The one thing I will have to do is have some transmissions 3D printed, since both come with incorrect T-10 style 4-speed transmissions.