Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Nova SS

Pretty sure that Dan Janssen at Scale Coachworks does most of their box art builds.

You are correct....I have been doing the majority of the Revell/Monogram automotive catalog/Box art built up for 20 years now. I built 2 Novas for the Hobby show in Chicago this past fall (2007) and the test shots just fell together. In the past an indicator of how good a production kit will be is when the test shot fit the way these did. Again, two versions were built for the box art....Yellow drag car with a cowl induction hood and a blue stock (street) version.

Dan Janssen

Scale Coachworks

Pretty sure that Dan Janssen at Scale Coachworks does most of their box art builds.

Ken,

Yes, I've been building the automotive box art and catalog/sell sheet models for Revell/Monogram since Bob Johnson was in charge of New product planning and production....20 years worth of hard work, plenty of deadlines and a huge stash of test shots waiting to be sold for my retirement! This kit will completely BLOW AWAY the old AMT/ERTL nova kit....and rumor has it additional versions will be added in the future!

Dan Janssen

Scale Coachworks

Ken,

Yes, I've been building the automotive box art and catalog/sell sheet models for Revell/Monogram since Bob Johnson was in charge of New product planning and production....20 years worth of hard work, plenty of deadlines and a huge stash of test shots waiting to be sold for my retirement! This kit will completely BLOW AWAY the old AMT/ERTL nova kit....and rumor has it additional versions will be added in the future!

Dan Janssen

Scale Coachworks

So can you post some shots of the parts trees anytime in the near future?

Oh, I have NO doubt about that, especially considering that the AMT kit pretty much sucked rocks! B) I have a feeling that we're not gonna hear much of that "But why did they do a Nova instead of something that's never been done before, like a '52 Deus Ex Machina?" ###### once folks catch a glimpse of this baby!

I've long said that a good '68-'72 Nova kit was one of the biggest gaps in the model car hobby, and I'm thrilled that Revell decided to pick up that ball and run with it. I'm really happy, too, that they opted to do a small-block car, which will make it much easier to build a base-model version.

Additional versions, eh? Could that mean there's a Ventura in our future? :blink:

Omega!

I believe this kit will generate as much if not more excitement than the 49 Merc has or did.

This car will appeal to a broader range of people IMO.

My little head tells me to buy three.....

This is definitely one kit I am excited about getting.

Chris

Man oh man have I been waiting ages for this. I admit to being a little disappointed that it's not a big-block Nova SS but that's easily doable!

Back in those days I had a good friend who bought a Baldwin-Motion SS427 Nova, green with black interior, the L88 hood, and one hell of a big block. That was too much engine for that car - I was always afraid he would twist the rear end right off. Scary fast in more ways than one Now I have the opportunity to build a model of my old friend Mitch's car. That and a Yenko, a stock SS396, an update to a 70 etc...

Good show Revell!

I can't wait for this new Nova, the #1 kit I have been waiting for. I own 4 Novas ('68, '69 SS, '72 SS, '72 6-cyl), 5 if I count my '62 convertible. I love my Novas. Just looking at the pictures, it looks like they got it right. The side view picture of the blue Nova looks like your looking at the real car.

This has got me thinking those AMT versions I was thinking of building are now destined for a swap meet or EBay!

I too remember some friends having this car in different engine/trans variations and I look forward to building several to replicate them!

I guess I better start searching for a couple of donor kits for the big block versions I have in mind. I can see some extra '69 Yenko Camaro kits showing up in the stash. :D

I better get my pre-order in before you guys buy up the first run.

I am also excited about the "other" kits that were mentioned based upon this kit.

Mike

Out of curiosity how much did the Nova change over the years? Obviously this body style is different from the early 60's version but it doesn't seem like this style changed much from 69 through the mid/late 70's.

'68 - '72 Novas were the same except for minor trim changes, tailights, etc.

'73 & '74 Novas look SIMILAR but they are actually different in almost all dimensions.

'75 - on, they were quite different.

'68 - '72 Novas were the same except for minor trim changes, tailights, etc.

'73 & '74 Novas look SIMILAR but they are actually different in almost all dimensions.

'75 - on, they were quite different.

In regards to ' 68-'72

Dash - '68 completly different in shape and design, '69-'72 same

Doors - '68 inside door lock pull place at rear edge of door , '69-'72 door lock pull moved about 6" forward

Bucket Seats - '68 release button on seatback side/top and no headrests, '69-'71 release on seat back center w/ headrests, '72 highback buckets

Door / Side Panels - '68 different design, '69-'72 same with only changes in the colored strip across top area ('69 parchment, '70-'72 woodgrained)

Seat Upholstery - '68 different, '69-'72 very similar

Hood emblem - '68 says Chevy II, '69-'72 same w/ bowtie design

Grille- '68-'69 same

Headlight trim - '68 no adjustment hole and chrome, '69-'72 with adjustment hole, blacked out

Front bumper - '68-'69 small turn signals, ''70-'72 large turn signals

Taillights - '68-69 short design, '70-'72 long design('72 has different lens)

Rear trim panel (fills area between tail lights)- '68-'69 longer , '70-72 shorter

Decklid emblem - '68 "Chevy II", '69-'72 "Nova"

Side Nova emblem - '68 "Nova" rear quarter panel, '69-'72"Nova" front fender behind wheel opening

Side marker lights - '68-69 small lights (red rear, front '68 clear, '69 Amber) '70-72 long design 9 amber front, red rear)

Fender vent optional on '68-'70

'68 SS only has "Super Sport"on bottom of fender above rocker trim

'68-'69 external anntenae, '70'72 anntenae wire embedded in windshield

The '73-'74 same size and body shape, except dfferent. different side window open shape, front and rear, impact bumpers, hard plastic interior, hatchback offered - hood and fenders are the same as '72 (fenders have a filler bolted on, trunk lid same

Hope this helps

what would be needed to make it a 70, I want to build it into a Yenko Duece

Just a couple things are needed to convert to a '70

• grille (although slightly different, it is not really noticable), can use Model Car Garage grille to be accurate
  • front bumper - bigger signal lights (would AMT bumper fit?)
  • wider rear taillights - again AMT lights may fit
  • side marker lights, both front and rear wider (rear same location, front a little lower on the fender)
  • interior is the same, sand off seat patterns to get the plain yenko interior
  • remove any exterior antennae