Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Dodge Demon re release

Sold it many years ago. But I used to have a bright blue with black interior 1971 Demon 340

71demon.jpg

And the lone original MPC issue I have . Started this build sometime maybe 10-15 years back. I broke a few of the vertical tail light bars out of one side and got disgusted and put it in the box .

MPCDemon_zps2e94fd42.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Is it just me, or is there only stock wheels for this kit (i.e. , no custom wheels) ??

I see no signs there was ever another set of wheels included.

If so , I hope that Round2 would have the foresight to add the wheels (Ansen Sprints) and tyres from the 1977 Smokey Convoy Chaser to their reissue :) .

I guess we'll see next year, or maybe at iHobby 2013.

It would be interesting to compare the chrome parts from the '71 Demon above to the chrome parts in all subsequent releases, and an explanation of why this kit received a set of Pontiac "honeycomb" wheels would be even more enlightening.

I see no signs there was ever another set of wheels included.

I guess we'll see next year, or maybe at iHobby 2013.

It would be interesting to compare the chrome parts from the '71 Demon above to the chrome parts in all subsequent releases, and an explanation of why this kit received a set of Pontiac "honeycomb" wheels would be even more enlightening.

Odd w/ the slicks not to have optional wheels...someone have pics of the instruction sheet? The '75 original issue has the honeycombs as the optional wheels, and the later marked as a Duster issues had some turbine wheels.

Edited by Rob Hall

Can anyone enlighten me as to what that extra-large piece is at the bottom of the Chrome tree? I can see another Chrome piece in the photos that has been separated from the tree; it looks like those 2 pieces glue together to make a (?)... extra-large chrome gasser-style fuel tank?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what that extra-large piece is at the bottom of the Chrome tree? I can see another Chrome piece in the photos that has been separated from the tree; it looks like those 2 pieces glue together to make a (?)... extra-large chrome gasser-style fuel tank?

That's what it looks like..probably one of the 'Put On' parts that MPC had in a bunch of kits in '71--oversized cartoonish parts.

Yes, I believe that is a leftover/shared part from the '71 Duster kit which was a "Mild & WIld", Zingers!- style kit.

I've collected some pics of the closely related Duster and Dart Sport kits listed earlier by John, so I will add those later today.

Also, is the driveshaft molded directly into the main chassis piece on this kit?

Yes it is/was.

Doesn't matter to me HOW it is released . Just as long as it IS released. Even it comes exactly like it did in 1971 I'll still do the happy dance .

Also, I hope once the kit is released maybe Missing Link with ' re-release' there 1972 Grille and interior conversion

Edited by gtx6970

Yes it is/was.

Doesn't matter to me HOW it is released . Just as long as it IS released. Even it comes exactly like it did in 1971 I'll still do the happy dance .

Also, I hope once the kit is released maybe Missing Link with ' re-release' there 1972 Grille and interior conversion

If they don't I will. :D

• 1 month later...

If they don't I will. :D

I have a '72 on the bench almost ready to paint B1 Blue....That's the powder Blue used in '72 And '73 for those of you that don't know that by the paint code....I just painted a '72 MPC Duster in that color....So I'll have a matching pair...To display when I finish both cars...Is it December yet?....I can't wait to get my hands on about 8 to 12 of these when they come out.

This one is definitely on my want list. Also would like to see a reissue of the 340 Duster wedge to go with it.

I thought I read on the Hobby Heaven Spotlight board this kit might be based on the Duster 340 instead of being backdated to the original version. Hopefully Round2 will have more info on what they're planning in October at iHobby.

I thought I read on the Hobby Heaven Spotlight board this kit might be based on the Duster 340 instead of being backdated to the original version. Hopefully Round2 will have more info on what they're planning in October at iHobby.

Really? Well if that's the case....I'll keep all my Resin and plastic kits....That Duster body AMT made is all wrong, The roof is terrible and misshapen.....I hope they do use the original kit as a basis ......Because honestly the rest of the AMT Duster kit was perfect, But the body is horrible compared to the MPC annuals....That's just my opinion on it.

Really? Well if that's the case....I'll keep all my Resin and plastic kits....That Duster body AMT made is all wrong, The roof is terrible and misshapen.....I hope they do use the original kit as a basis ......Because honestly the rest of the AMT Duster kit was perfect, But the body is horrible compared to the MPC annuals....That's just my opinion on it.

Although I don't think I would call it horrible, just not 100% accurate when you compare the AMT version side by sde with an original MPC issue .

If they use the original MPC body, hood and grille with everything else from the AMT Duster I would be good with that.

The plan is to use the new-tool Duster, but they're also aware of the other minor issues mentioned re the body proportioning.

• 1 month later...

I always thought the roof looked okay- but the side window openings were off quite a bit. Either way, I'm guessing they'd need to tool an all-new body if they wanted to do a Demon from the Duster tooling (if they have a mind to preserve the Duster 340 for future use anyway), so it might not be a problem.