Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garlits Wynnscharger

ZTony8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes,I have one.See my post in "Drag racing models".

BTW,it has the Young American frame in it with the Garlits version chrome tree.I believe that the front axle had to be altered as the space between the axle mounting points on the frame is/was different than the original Garlits kit frame.

Yes,I have one.See my post in "Drag racing models".

BTW,it has the Young American frame in it with the Garlits version chrome tree.I believe that the front axle had to be altered as the space between the axle mounting points on the frame is/was different than the original Garlits kit frame.

The frame has to be modified. The axle mounts are 26 mm spaced and the chassis mounts are 18 mm. I cut off the chassis " tube " and used a piece of Evergreen .080 rod cut to 26 mm and centered it on the chassis. Cut the axle torque arms off and added them to the rod ends. The fix took about 20 minutes.

Edited by 41CHEVY

heres something maybe nobody else has noticed: the box is too small. the chrome sprue is too long to fit in it without it being at an angle to the top and bottom. the frame is the same: too long to fit comfortably flat in the box. the box is also too small to fit the iron on transfer that is included...it has to be wrinkled up both top and bottom and left and right. probably wouldn't hurt anything but the question is why? I guess so it would fit into a standard box, but it sure doesn't fit comfortably and flat, which is how I prefer to store anything prone to warpage like that exquisite frame.

other thing is, there isn't much weight there. durn box feels empty. just an observation...would feel much more substantial with some extras included somehow.

jb

The reissue kit's box is actually a bit larger (taller) than the original. Round 2 uses the same size box for AMT and MPC branded kits, while when they were competitors (back in the day) MPC used a box that wasn't as tall as AMT's. The box bottom might be just a bit narrower because of the box top being double layer, though. Some of the chrome trees had tabs added later to stick them in the vacuum plating chamber, which sometimes made them a tighter fit in the boxes.

MPC did use a slightly bigger box for some kits (Open Road camper, '71 Chevy ramp truck) but the dragster kits were in the regular box. The dragster chassis fits in, but diagonally. I'm surprised the transfer got wrinkled. The display in the Meyers Manx kit was put in the box without folding the large bottom section, unlike the original issue of that kit.

Hitherto Garliys kits is one of the first three kits I built (the others were Dyno's Cougar FC and the Candies and Hughes Cuda). Until recent issues I had an original boxed kit in my display case. The original issue had the frame diagonal, the iron on wrapped around the instructions and the chrome sorta bent in the middle to fit the kit box.

As for the Cosmic Charger, Carl Casper has shown it at the Louisville Show. It is an absolutely stunning piece of art.

The reissue kit's box is actually a bit larger (taller) than the original. Round 2 uses the same size box for AMT and MPC branded kits, while when they were competitors (back in the day) MPC used a box that wasn't as tall as AMT's. The box bottom might be just a bit narrower because of the box top being double layer, though. Some of the chrome trees had tabs added later to stick them in the vacuum plating chamber, which sometimes made them a tighter fit in the boxes.

MPC did use a slightly bigger box for some kits (Open Road camper, '71 Chevy ramp truck) but the dragster kits were in the regular box. The dragster chassis fits in, but diagonally. I'm surprised the transfer got wrinkled. The display in the Meyers Manx kit was put in the box without folding the large bottom section, unlike the original issue of that kit.

My kit did not include the iron-on. Not a big deal to me, but it's curious that it was missing. Is it another one of those deals where only one kit per case has one? I know round 2 has done that in the past. My biggest issue was the frame was slightly warped and twisted. Has anyone else noticed frame warpage?