Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24th Scale Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA

mikevillena

Way too cool. I'm loving this build. I've just broken this kit out to get started. I built one a few years ago and was pleased with the result, but I think I could do a much better job on it now. Not planning to go as far as you though....

Thanks Curtis. The Tamiya kit is rather nice even though the current kit's tooling has suffered a bit through the years. With a bit of care it should build up beatifully. I really didn't intend on getting this "involved" and would have rather built it up "box stock" but I needed to improve my meager (actually, non-existent) scratchbuilding skills so I had a go at it. :lol:

Edited by mikevillena

@ Michael - Thank you very much. Yes, most folks aren't aware of the little car's amazing race track record. I consider it a real "giant killer" along with the Austin Mini Cooper, Lotus Super 7 and the Datsun 510. Btw, you are correct about your project...it is a GTA and not a GTAm :)

@ Jeremy - I am extremely flattered by your very kind compliment considering your skills as amply demonstrated with you AMX build.

Finished the rear parcel tray and give the rear a shot of Tamiya Grey primer. Much finier than the usual automotive primer that I have been using.

IMG_1052_zps35c8eac3.jpg

IMG_1051_zpsd3436e49.jpg

Moved onto the engine bay. Decided to delete the vacuum booster for the brakes so I had to blank out the recessed perched. Also removed some of the molded bosses.

IMG_1053_zps4ca1affc.jpg

IMG_1054_zps3ebde514.jpg

IMG_1055_zps0e263a92.jpg

Thanks Curtis. The Tamiya kit is rather nice even though the current kit's tooling has suffered a bit through the years. With a bit of care it should build up beatifully. I really didn't intend on getting this "involved" and would have rather built it up "box stock" but I needed to improve my meager (actually, non-existent) scratchbuilding skills so I had a go at it. :lol:

Yeah, I was just about to tell you your scratchbuilding skills were non-existent. Here's an Alfa I built a few years ago.

DSCN0779.jpg

Wow, This build brings back memories. I built the Gunze Sangyo a while back. This website has a lot of reference pics: http://www.alfaholics.com/

Here You can see my build:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69749&hl=%2Balfa+%2Bromeo

I will be following this one real close.

Hi and thank you Mike! I had three of those Gunze Sangyo kits unbuilt in my hoard which I had stupidly sold many years back. Those were nice curbside kits. If I remember correctly, you had an option of door handles. I think the Autodelta GTA's went with the simple handles instead of the problematic recessed ones. Your build turned out nice! :)

Thanks for sharing the links to Alfaholics. Actually, I have been using their site since the late 90's for reference photos as well as Alfa BB (member) along with a handful of other 1:1 Alfa Romeo owner's clubs. I just recently joined the MGTC Registry as they are an invaluable source for the Airline Coupe project that I have waiting in the wings. It is always a good idea to invest some time in scouring the internet for reference photos and I've always had good luck in searching for "XXXXXXX restoration" (XXXXXX being whatever car you are interested in). Truth be told, I spend about the same amount of time doing research as I do building. Besides, it's a lot of fun :D

Edited by mikevillena

Yeah, I was just about to tell you your scratchbuilding skills were non-existent. Here's an Alfa I built a few years ago.

DSCN0779.jpg

Hi Curtis! Yeah, it has been ages since I scratchbuilt anything in 1/24th scale (20+ years). I did some scratchbuilding in the larger 1/10th scale for my rc car projects so it is a real challenge working in this dimunitive scale. I've had to use my magnifying visor throughout although it's probably becasue my eyes are just bad to begin with :lol:

You Alfa turned out beautiful! BTW, are those PE wipers?

Edited by mikevillena

Time to start cutting the bodyshell. Began with the trunk which is the trickiest since there isn't a molded line for the bottom lip of the trunk lid:

IMG_1056_zps7581159e.jpg

Applied some dishwashing fluid to the initial scribe line and to the blade to lubricate the cut.

IMG_1057_zps894521e3.jpg

IMG_1058_zps8ef70476.jpg

Managed to pull off a very clean cut with minimal waste:

IMG_1059_zps90cd4858.jpg

Very nice details and your work is very nice.

Thank you very much Dave. :)

My hat is off to you Mike that is some sick styrene work. What is the grey stuff on all of your seams.

Thank you Joe. I use automotive scratch filler/primer in the small touch up applicator. It helps blend the styrene pieces and simulates the fillets typical of swaged or stamped sheetmetal. I also use it to simulate welds:

AbarthBuild125_zpsb406efaf.jpg

This is on my 1/10th scale RC Tamiya Abarth.

Thanks for all of the kind comments and for following this build :D

Slow progress on the trunk opening:

IMG_1067_zps5efb9808.jpg

I'm at the point of planning the driver and passenger door openings. I might have to wait until much later to cut the doors open because slipping the chassis in and out forces me to flex the bodyshell slightly. I am also on the fence as to whether to shave off the incorrect rain gutters and scratchbuild the proper ones. This will take some planning to pull it off.

As an aside, I found a nicely built Tamiya kit:

http://i-am-modelist.com/2012/09/28/alfa-romeo-giulia-sprint-gta-1965/

Some of the paper models on that site blew me away. I remember seeing some incredible English cardstock and paper models from the 50's and 60's (old Airfix book). Goes to prove what craftsmanship can do even with simple materials.

Oh my god! The header is unbelievable. I'm sorry for putting my question on the scratch filler in the form of a statement, but you got the idea. pearly academic. Anyways thanks for the answer. I'm not into the early European stuff, but my god man I will be eyeing this post like a hawk!

Cheers.

I forgot to mention how much I love Tamiya kits. I have been building 1/6 scale Harleys for years. I think I'm going to build the 1970 Honda CB 750, but one thing at a time. I'm currently working on a 32 five window rat rod and trying to get back into the craft. I should go to the into and introduce my self.

Cheers,

Oh my god! The header is unbelievable. I'm sorry for putting my question on the scratch filler in the form of a statement, but you got the idea. pearly academic. Anyways thanks for the answer. I'm not into the early European stuff, but my god man I will be eyeing this post like a hawk!

Cheers.

WOW!!!

Thank you very much guys! :D That Abarth is in 1/10th scale which is a little easier on my poor eyesight and clumsy fingers. Hope to eventually pick it up again to re-build and finish it.

Wow Mike, as a race/airfield marshal over nearly 30 years at Silverstone just up the road here in the UK, I remember these when they came over from their base in Italy to race in the European Touring Car series in the day. What beautiful machines and great teams, both factory and customer teams, what great days they were.

Your making a grand job of this model, keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

The video is just superb, just as I remember them. A good friend of my two sons has re-built a 1-1 road car over the last 5 years and runs it only in the summer.

Wow Mike, as a race/airfield marshal over nearly 30 years at Silverstone just up the road here in the UK, I remember these when they came over from their base in Italy to race in the European Touring Car series in the day. What beautiful machines and great teams, both factory and customer teams, what great days they were.

Your making a grand job of this model, keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

The video is just superb, just as I remember them. A good friend of my two sons has re-built a 1-1 road car over the last 5 years and runs it only in the summer.

Hello Pat! How are things in jolly old England? You're all probably thrilled with Lewis's latest win. Wow, you must have a wealth of racing stories to tell having spent so many years in the sport. It must have been really exciting to have seen these cars turning their wheels in anger firsthand. Silverstone is so steeped in motor racing history. The Alfas were brilliant and were the ETC champions for 4 consecutive years (1966-1969 I think). I'm sorry that I never got the chance to visit it when I lived in England in 1990 and equally sorry that I'm on the other side of the pond now and can't sit down and have a pint with you. I've only had a short season under my belt (Formula Ford) and two seasons corner working with my then local sports car club in the Midwest but I clearly remember watching Peter Egan ( Road & Track editor) embarassing SCCA GT1 Corvettes and Camaros with his dimunitve Super 7 at every lap of Blackhawk Farms. It was thrilling to be standing a few feet away and watching while he out braked and out accelerated these monsters. He won overall that day. Brilliant driver and writer. Anwyay, thank you for the very kind compliment and I hope to be able to build this little gem properly. Cheers! :D

Now at the point of no return as I ground and scrapped off the rain gutters. Also had to cut out the "B" pillar and set it aside to be re-installed after the gutter is finished. Used a short strip of .010 x .060 styrene to build the horizontal portion of the rain gutter:

IMG_1070_zpsa0c64170.jpg

IMG_1071_zps224b6d44.jpg

I'll have to wait until the hobby shop opens tomorrow to get some .005 x .005 strip for the vertical elements.

Edited by mikevillena