Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Charger pro-tour....

JollySipper

71tour001_zpsface90ad.jpg

71tour002_zps4211409b.jpg

Thought I would give you guys a quick look at my current project. The mock-up pic is before color sanding and clear, the pic on the cup is how the clear looks. I figured while I wait for the engine donor kit for this project, I could go ahead and get some color on so it could cure for a while....

Comments are always welcome!

Those interior combos sound pretty good, Ken.... I think I've decided on a brown dash, tan seats and panels, and some cream flocking for the floors..... I found out today that the 71 GTX has bucket seats with the same pleat pattern as the rear seat of the Charger, so I will be using those!

71tour3001_zps0522a3e4.jpg

71tour3002_zps6984184e.jpg

Here it is with the engine mocked in place! I didn't want to use this engine because it's 1/24, but it ended up fitting pretty good. It has holes in the intake for a heat shield, which I will need to fill. Engine is from the Testors Charger Daytona.......

One of the new Charger Daytona's I suspect, with that intake! Thats a New 6.1 Hemi as it looks....Which is why I say its not a '71 engine type, the 426 Hemi from the '60's and '70's is what you'd need to keep it period correct.....

NOT that it looks bad mind you, just saying wrong era "Hemi" if you were trying to keep the period of the car correct, BUT, the new upgrade, would be a NICE change in an old car! This same engine, could be any one of the "new" Hemi's, 5.7 L (345C.I.D.), 6.1 L (370 C.I.D), or 6.4 L 392 C.I.D. EXCEPT the new "Hellcat" Hemi, its a 6.2, that was a sleeved 392, thats also supercharged.....Completely different beast! And Beast, it is! 900 Gross Horsepower, SAE rated 707 HP, to the road.....

I really like the concept on this TJ! The modern Hemi is the perfect choice! I think the rear wheels would look better with some sleeves to give them a deeper look than the fronts. I gotta agree with Fred too on the gold spokes and brushed lip. They would go perfect with the color. Keep it going! You're on to a cool model!

71tour3001_zps0522a3e4.jpg

71tour3002_zps6984184e.jpg

Here it is with the engine mocked in place! I didn't want to use this engine because it's 1/24, but it ended up fitting pretty good. It has holes in the intake for a heat shield, which I will need to fill. Engine is from the Testors Charger Daytona.......

The Revell 2009 Challenger kit is 1/25 scale and has a nice Hemi.

One of the new Charger Daytona's I suspect, with that intake! Thats a New 6.1 Hemi as it looks....Which is why I say its not a '71 engine type, the 426 Hemi from the '60's and '70's is what you'd need to keep it period correct.....

NOT that it looks bad mind you, just saying wrong era "Hemi" if you were trying to keep the period of the car correct, BUT, the new upgrade, would be a NICE change in an old car! This same engine, could be any one of the "new" Hemi's, 5.7 L (345C.I.D.), 6.1 L (370 C.I.D), or 6.4 L 392 C.I.D. EXCEPT the new "Hellcat" Hemi, its a 6.2, that was a sleeved 392, thats also supercharged.....Completely different beast! And Beast, it is! 900 Gross Horsepower, SAE rated 707 HP, to the road.....

Lol @ your last sentence. It's 707 at the crank and low to mid 600s at the tire depending where you read. Just setting it straight. No offence intended. I believe he chose the new hemi to go with the pro touring theme. Makes a good combo. My friend is doing a 1:1 69 dart with a kenne bell blown 6.1 and a 6 speed