Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shinny

captin

20141022_185510_zpshxfe0czl.jpg20141022_185539_zpsubjclhls.jpg20141022_185637_zpsdov6aav1.jpg

so this isn't my next project but I wanted to share this. This is a experiment that I tried I work next to a body shop and I was talking to one of the techs about the clear they use. I told him about this model im starting pretty soon and told him I wanted it to look like a mirror on the outside. So he told me to prep a scrap piece of plastic model and bring it in and he would clear it for me and this is what happened. No sand just sprayed and polished the clear. I wish a would of taken more time preping it but I was in a hurry plus I wasn't sure if the body shop clear would melt the paint or not so I kinda did a sloppy job preping it. Wad excited on how it turned out and just wanted to share it.

If you have a contact in the real car world, I would suggest getting your kits prepped for paint then when you see a car come in that is going to get a color you like, hit them up for an ounce or two, they don't typically waste a LOT but there usually is a little left over. Have your airbrush on hand as a lot of body shops use reactive epoxy type paints and clear that will be solid and workable in about an hour, hard cured in about 8 hours. If you are set up and not in their way, I'm sure they'd let you borrow their booth while they're shooting or just after.

I did this a lot when I was working for a body shop as a helper. NEVER do I want to work as a helper in a body shop again!!!! EVER!!!!!