Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the one you WILL build one day, no matter what?

Doesn't matter what scale, or even if a kit of it exists... what's the one truck that you absolutely know you will model one of these days come hell or high water?

For me, it's got to be the Kenworth C500...

autowp_ru_kenworth_c500_963_2-vi.jpg

wow! that's a truck! if you ever find these in kit form, PLEASE let me know :D

so many so little time. heres a couple. old dukes kw from high ballin, pickups truck also. blue mule, the duck,duel, and a mack i drove back in the day. those i will get done one day.

the blue mule? would that be from "white line fever" with jan micheal vincent?

Dan, this might help for the squad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-scale-model-resin-Emergency-Squad-51-deluxe-fire-truck-conversion-kit-/171009534492?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item27d0f66a1c#ht_764wt_679 He also has figures for Johnny & Roy. What's stopping me from doing the squad or the Ward-LaFrance are the decals. I'm assuming that you've seen Cargostar's Ward-LaFrance cab?

Stay away from it, I bought one & ended up scratch building my own, here's where it's at so far,

IMGP1740_zps4abec6e7.jpg

IMGP1739_zps0532363c.jpg

IMGP1738_zpsb31aca5c.jpg

Johnny & Roy figures are OK

As for other trucks to be built, BJ & the Bear, http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60353&hl=, Snowmans Rig, Rubber Duck, Blue Mule, Movin On KW, Super Boss & Papa Truck & Bandag Bandit & Hideout Truck.

My favorite truck kit of all time is still the Ertl CO-4070A. I started a day cab version for a Yellow Freight truck, but never finished it...yet.

I also have an Eastern White 4000 to finish. I didn't know there were conversion kits, so I scratchbuilt the grille and hood/fender unit.

Good Question.

Glad for that info too. I can't afford to waste money I Don't have. That is

why I always ask for the measured drawings or Plans.

Wish Some one would tell me where they got theirs from.

I did send an email to the LA County Historic group but go No reply

Maybe Moebius will surprise us not only with a 72 Dodge Pickup, but the Squad too!

This is on my to do list to build

DSCN8636.jpg

DSCN8637.jpg

it is a Rubber Railway 5 axle articulated concrete truck. The centre axle is missing from the front section of the mixer. The original is a one off machine. There were several 4 axle mixers built but this is the only 5 axle one. The original is currently being restored by a local cement company. I would like to recreate this truck in 1/25th scale.

Carl

I kind of figured that's who you emailed. I doubt Universal Studios would be of any help, either.

Speaking of The Scale Firehouse, what's up over there? It's been "down for maintenance" for like three weeks.

I know there were many members getting Spam/Malware warnings when logging in.

I suspect the Owner took it down to clean it out. Hope it will be back soon.

Cargostar, TomSheehy, are also members there.

Do either of them have a direct email address for the Firehouse??

Phil, what's wrong with the squad body?

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hard work casters go to so we can have stuff that otherwise would be unavailable but sometimes I'll get something that doesn't meet my standards for the money I've paid out, also from all the measurements I've taken the resin box is to long, then again it just may be my autism at work so I'll shut up now & let the pics talk

IMGP1743_zps14ef2de1.jpg

IMGP1742_zps730ac2ee.jpg

I cut the wheel arch of on this side

IMGP1741_zps308de4a6.jpg

I don't know if these are any good to anybody but these are the plans I used to build my Squad 51 box, all measurements are in millimetres

Scan1_zpse1001171.jpg

Scan2_zpsa3863aa8.jpg

Edited by Yahshu

Yes, those big Kenworths would make great models. By the way, both Kenworths are not C500s, those are 963s, spec'd much heavier then a C500. Notice the hood, fenders, head lights, and grill shape, the grill is shaped like a wedge with the vertical Kenworth name plate in the middle.

Yeah- fell asleep at the switch ID-ing it. But still, that's the one I'm going to build! B)

I would have to say a 97 international 9700I....the very first truck I learned to drive on when my dad worked for crete carrier we had a double bunk that I loved. or a freightliner classic xl with an 80" condo.

Chad

Two custom Auto Carriers

KW and a Pete Stinger style.

Both of them will have my scratch built parts on them.

Stainless Bumpers,Air Breathers,Battery box's,Big Pipes,Tool box bodies on the rear like the Can Do wrecker.

Detailed rims and Engine lines Air lines where they will be seen,Hyd lines,Aluminum Hyd Cylinders.

A lot of stainless trim and a nice set of my Air and Electric lines.

And Custom Hood's

Loaded with some nice rides.

This is one built some time back not a lot of custom stuff on this one but it got me to thinking about the other two listed here.

models044.jpg

These are my scratch built lines that I will be using.

DSC07032_zpsae0426b8.jpg

The Scale Firehouse is back up as of this afternoon.

That Squad body looks like the old 10-8 Hobbies box, which I have the original mold for.

I based all of my measurements off of a Code 3 Squad, (using a micrometer!), and scaling of photos found of the net.

Kevin, That is a sharp looking truck. Do you have iany history on the FWD mixers? The Budd cab looks as good on it as any of the Fords or Macks. Looking forward to seeing your results If I get the RRR to the top of my to do list it will likely be as an 8X6, not the 10X6. Carl

Carl, no other info on these. I've seen only a few more pictures of FWD 8x6 with newer dodge cabs. I've collected a few other photos of these cabovers and will be using lots of modeling creative liberty's to pull this one off. One, for example will I'm using Plaskit floatation wheels/tires all around because there are no wheels that I've found come close to the prototype.