Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eleventh Completion of 2012

Steve_L

This was a quick project to update a Mako Shark snap kit. I wanted more of a contemporary look and to add some detail. I applied Bare Metal Foil to the windshield and on the body. I detail painted the interior and substituted late model Corvette wheels and tires. It was a fairly easy build and I had a lot of fun with it.

IMG_1459-vi.jpg

IMG_1465-vi.jpg

IMG_1464-vi.jpg

IMG_1462-vi.jpg

IMG_1463-vi.jpg

I used Krylon X-Metals base coat and red paint. It gives a nice candy red appearance.

IMG_1473-vi.jpg

The real surprise was the experiment I conducted with Plaid Folkart Clearcote Glaze. The super glossy finish you see is two wet coats of the glaze directly from the can over the Krylon red with no polishing at all.

IMG_1472-vi.jpg

I am enthusiastic about the outcome and plan to continue the experiment to see how it works through my air brush and over other types of paint. I used it on a scrap body and I know at this point that it gives the same glossy finish over Tamiya Yellow (TS-16). It also takes an extra day to strip in Super Clean. It looks like I will want to use polishing pads to smooth the color coat before I apply the Clearcote. I don't plan, at this point, to use Novus or other polishes on the color coat in case they would contaminate the surface for the Clearcote Glaze.

I did a Google search for "plaid folkart clearcote glaze hi-shine 11 oz" and found some good prices for the Clearcote Glaze

Enjoy!

Nice car, I like the fact that you were trying different paints and then

you displayed exactly what you used! Very Helpful, Thanks!

Quick question, did you spray the Krylon out of the can or did

you decant and use the air brush? If so, what did you thin it with?

Again, nice car and thanks!

Steve

Nice car, I like the fact that you were trying different paints and then

you displayed exactly what you used! Very Helpful, Thanks!

Quick question, did you spray the Krylon out of the can or did

you decant and use the air brush? If so, what did you thin it with?

Again, nice car and thanks!

Steve

I decanted both the base coat and the red color coat and sprayed them through my Paashe VL airbrush and the Plaid Clearcote came from the can. :)