Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Edsel Conversion BMF'ed update 08-11-06

Mj-Styro

I picked up acouple of these a few months ago two convertible's with one in pretty decent shape,and looks like some one was converting the other to a hard top.(was a resin hard top for the conversion)

So i will see if i can explain it thru the Pictures

Heres the first one up before i started,If you look close to where the C-pillers will be you can tell i sorta marked it out on what to file..........

MVC795S-vi.jpg

Here i have the C-pillers Filed out (that was guess work free hand marking with a pencil)

Next was to file it to shape so everything fits,Also Finished the sanding of the tops of the A-pillers to bring the roof into shape

MVC796S-vi.jpg

I super glued the roof on one because it was a resin piece,and the body being the old plastic

MVC798S-vi.jpg

Looks like i will need to file the inside of the C-piller a tad, not that it is holding anything out of place but will need to use filler as well

MVC799S-vi.jpg

Lookin good!!!

MVC800S-vi.jpg

Have know idea on what color this should be or the Convertible, And also i have a 1960 Edsel Ranch wagon (resin) that will also be built, just a little fleet of edsels........

Speaking of edsels I have a 59 Convertible with F&F resin pieces i should post pics of that i forgot about till now My bad DUH!!! its a tail dragging cruizer with connie kit and up top........

And there you have it folks!! It is how it is done if its on my bench :roll:

That's gonna be a nice conversion MJ.......it's something not seen in 1:1 at the shows!

I agree with Dan...........the 1960 Edsels were better looking than their regular Ford counterparts.

Too bad Ford saw fit to end production so early in the model year. :D

Got alittle more done,

Added the lower front piece on the passenger side, looks like it was broken off,and i couldnt find it in the box with the ragtop but i did find a piece that some one had cut off something else so i trimmed it to fit and filled it with putty,just got done sanding all the putty down and went thru the polishing cloths.....and after its bath i will see what it looks like after a coat of primer......

Here ya go!

MVC868S-vi.jpg

MVC869S-vi.jpg

MVC870S-vi.jpg

I rushed home from work! around 4pm (now 6:15) and rushed the body work! and used super glue to fill in some pin holes left from the glue etching into the plastic........reshoot it in primer acouple times! Hit it with dry 2000 grit to speed it up a tad!

And here she is! Dusty Rose Pearl By Boyd's Enamel mixed 50/50 with Acetone and shot thru a Paasche Vl Air Brush..........

next up is to put the body in a cooker! and back the paint! then i will clear coat it with some Crystal Clear shot thru the aur brush.......

Decided not to do the top in white just wouldnt look right.......

MVC881S-vi.jpg

MVC882S-vi.jpg

MVC883S-vi.jpg

MVC884S-vi.jpg

Now that's some handy foil work.........no shaky hands there MJ! HEHEHEHE :D

I know how ya must feel.......the '59 Buick was a real butt kicker when it came to the foil because there were some places that had no defined edges.

Yours came out fantastic..........it looks soooooo Edselish now! :mrgreen:

Beautiful restoration Mike.

THIS is a great thread !yahoo.gif

Wasnt intending it to be but it sure does look like it! Also it is a great subject that being the restoration aspects to it.......

Thank you everyone!

I will try not to disappoint anyone...............

I just like to share my restoration skills at work.weather its good or bad we all learn and i hope by me showing how i do it, It may help others!