Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius should do a GMC fishbowl bus. It's a classic.

I vote ~ and my wallet would vote several times ~ for the Fishbowl!!! As iconic a bus as there ever was from the late 50's through th 70's! What city transit system did not have 'em?? The Fishbowl is an all-around city transit bus with numerous applications; besides city transit, many were used for school buses, team transits, bands, prisoners, troops, you name it.

We already have a modern bus - Revell of Germany's recent kit. The Prevost is nice but a bit redundant to that one, and both are over-the-road passengerliners with more limited applications.

Of course, the best of all worlds would be to have both ~ but when is that ever gonna happen?

B)

I vote ~ and my wallet would vote several times ~ for the Fishbowl!!! As iconic a bus as there ever was from the late 50's through th 70's! What city transit system did not have 'em?? The Fishbowl is an all-around city transit bus with numerous applications; besides city transit, many were used for school buses, team transits, bands, prisoners, troops, you name it.

We already have a modern bus - Revell of Germany's recent kit. The Prevost is nice but a bit redundant to that one, and both are over-the-road passengerliners with more limited applications.

Of course, the best of all worlds would be to have both ~ but when is that ever gonna happen?

B)

What he said.

Very nice picture of one of the Gm Fishbowls also called newlook owned and operated by the Cincinnati Transit Historical Association. This particular Fishbowl or "Dreamliner" as they were called in Cincinnati, is a 1975 TDH 5307A that was operated by the Central Ohio Transit Authority from 1975 till 1998 when it was donated to the CTHA. It is powered by a 6V71N Detroit Diesel with a VH9 Allison automatic 2 speed transmission. The Fishbowl next to it is a 1981 Canadian built T8H5307A, ordered and operated by the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky until donated to the CTHA in 2002. It is powered by an 8V71 Detroit Diesel with a V730 Allison 5 speed auto tranmission. I to would love to see any model maker produce any one of the newlook or for that matter oldlook coaches that were built by GM. There were about 60,000 of these two types produced from the end of WWII to 1985.

Very nice picture of one of the Gm Fishbowls also called newlook owned and operated by the Cincinnati Transit Historical Association. This particular Fishbowl or "Dreamliner" as they were called in Cincinnati, is a 1975 TDH 5307A that was operated by the Central Ohio Transit Authority from 1975 till 1998 when it was donated to the CTHA. It is powered by a 6V71N Detroit Diesel with a VH9 Allison automatic 2 speed transmission. The Fishbowl next to it is a 1981 Canadian built T8H5307A, ordered and operated by the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky until donated to the CTHA in 2002. It is powered by an 8V71 Detroit Diesel with a V730 Allison 5 speed auto tranmission. I to would love to see any model maker produce any one of the newlook or for that matter oldlook coaches that were built by GM. There were about 60,000 of these two types produced from the end of WWII to 1985.

I went to Cincinnati to see this COTA bus. I took so many pictures my memory card ran out of space. They even gave me a ride on the bus. Sooner or later, I'm going to just build one myself! I'd rather see it kitted though.

Hopefully the fact that Revell of Germany followed up their Neoplan bus with the London double decker means it sold well enough to be a viable subject.

Personally I'd love to see a kit of a GM fishbowl. A GM old look or Crown would find a place on my shelf too.

The Lonestar seems to have done well too, so here is hoping for a new wave of commercial subjects.

With a pre-decorated set of Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock figures!

Seriously- even though modelers don't seem to be tripping over one another for bus kits, I am a little suprised this one's never been done as a kit, simply because it's an icon. Somebody says 'city bus', the picture you see in your head is most likely a GMC Fishbowl. Can't say I'd be up for any myself, but I would love to see it kitted!

But not before a pre '77 IH Loadstar, or a first-gen Scout. B)

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I'd love to see a model of ANY bus come out. About 15 or so years ago, when I was still living on Long Island, NY, the LIARS Club (of which I am still a member) used to charter a bus every year to take us to the NNL East show. It was cool when the bus would pull up to the door in Parsippany, NJ and 30 to 40 of us would file out of the bus. It was such a "tradition" for a few years that the guys on line would all say "Hey, the LIARS are here." Unfortunately that tradition ended because the number of members who wanted to chip in towards the cost of the bus ($25 per person) dropped off and the club's treasury just couldn't afford it anymore. (If I remember correctly the cost for the bus was around $700 or $800 for the day.) The driver would park the bus in the lot and pick us all up again right at the front door at about 4:30 PM. Sometimes we'd have car movies on the to and from ride (when the bus's VCR worked), and there was always someone (ME) who brought along a cooler filled with "cold ones" on ice for whoever wanted one (or 2). There was also a "potty" in the back of the bus which came in very handy (cause you don't buy beer...... you only rent it...!!!)

My point in all this is that I'd love to make a model of a "LIARS Bus to the NNL". Maybe some day hopefully.

I like the idea of them doing a fish bowl, but the Prevost looks amazing...The only thing is....Cost....As much as the bus Revell is doing, now is, I'm petrified at how much one of those would cost.... :unsure: Although the prices for the Lonestar are pretty reasonable for such a good model...Who knows....Maybe they'll be able to cut a deal and keep it affordable...

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...