Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about using styrene sheets

Whn buying Plastruct or Evergreen stock, they often sell a pack that has several thicknesses in a poly bag. Highly recommended. For large sheets of it, grab a plastic yard sale sign from your local hardware store. You can save some $$ that way too.

It depends on what you're using it on.

For instance, for really thin pieces use .010". For thick pieces, try around .050".

And I also see you're from Anderson. Fort Wayne here B)

Ok. thanks a lot. That's cool. I've never been there though.

As a starter, most plastic kits have a body thickness close to .04" so that's a useful sheet thickness to have around for many uses. In 1/25 scale .04" equates to 1" in 1:1 scale. So, .01" sheet is a quarter inch in 1/25th scale etc.

For structural bits like a truck utility body I tend to use .040" because it is stiff enough to maintain its shape but still easy to work with. .030" will save you some money because you get an extra sheet in a pack (3 .030", vs 2 .040") and works fine for smaller pieces like a truck storage box. .020" is about the thickest you can easily curve if you need a rounded part, although unless it is hollow on the end I prefer to sand a curve into the edge rather than bend plastic.

If the thickness is actually important then get the size you need (.010" = 1/4" in 1/25 scale).