Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRIM Nail Sticks Back at Walmart! Update 8/13/18

Snake45

After a too-long absence, the TRIM 3-pack of fingernail sticks (Clean, Condition, Shine) are back at Walmart. These are one of the best things I've ever used for polishing plastic, including clear plastic, and they're much cheaper than the stuff at hobby shops.

The old ones were dark gray, white, and medium gray. The new ones are dark gray, blue, and purple. I hope/assume they'll work the same as the old ones. If they don't, I'll come back here and so post.

Edited by Snake45

• 1 year later...

The Trim nail buffers come and go. Last time I saw them at Walmart was several months ago, then they were gone. Checked this morning and they're back again. Grab them while you can! I got two more.

And I expected pics of the sticks being discussed here (not the finely buffed model body)! ;)

On a serious note, most of those sanding/polishing things can also be purchased at beauty shops which cater to the hair and nail salons. While probably not as cheap as Walmart, they are still cheaper than the hobby shop versions.  Those stores also carry acrylic nail resins and hardener. That stuff can be used to make small castings or for non-shrinking body filler. But the hardener is fairly aggressive and it might craze some styrene.

And I expected pics of the sticks being discussed here (not the finely buffed model body)! ;)

On a serious note, most of those sanding/polishing things can also be purchased at beauty shops which cater to the hair and nail salons. While probably not as cheap as Walmart, they are still cheaper than the hobby shop versions.  Those stores also carry acrylic nail resins and hardener. That stuff can be used to make small castings or for non-shrinking body filler. But the hardener is fairly aggressive and it might craze some styrene.

Have been using the acrylic nail filler for several years.  It is especially good for putting bodies back together after sectioning, chopping, etc.; holds really well and doesn't crack/come apart like regular glue joints  Two caveats: 1. Do not place the body in a dehydrator, ever, the filler seems to want to grow raised ripples; 2. It almost requires a disc grinder to smooth out, be prepared to sand for awhile to get it down, however once sanded it is as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom.  Good stuff to use

it says they're unavailable... that was quick

They're not available to order through the website, but they're back in the stores. At least there was a whole hook of them last week, after they'd been MIA for several months.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sally's (beauty supplies) has inexpensive (about $1.25) nail sticks.  I have used the Kiss and BeautySecrets brands and have been very pleased.  I clean them with a cheap brass wire brush - wears the brush down but not the nail sticks.  Cloth-backed wet and dry sanding sheets make excellent sanding tools when cut down to appropriate sizes.  They can be wrapped around objects to get the shape you need.  Sanding plastic, they also last a long time (I clean them the same way).  Also I glue drywall sanding screen to paint-mixing sticks or just use on a flat surface for rapid bondo removal.

• 1 year later...

Walmart hasn't had these in over a year, maybe close to two. The link above still works to the website, but they show out of stock (and they won't let you order or pick up anyway). 

But I lucked out and found them at KMart today! The brand is different--SmartSense--but they are the same thing. You want the package with 3 sticks--black, blue, and pink/purple. 

They're more expensive than Walmart was ($2.99 vs Wally's $1.99) but they were on sale--buy three, get one free. My store only had four and I took them all. They are NOT shown on KMart's website. I googled SmartSense nail buffers and managed to find ONE other source for them, but at $5.99. 

The real prize of the set is the #1 black one. I don't know what the grit is--somewhere between #800 and #1000, I suspect--but it is PERFECT for leveling the plastic and taking out minor scratches on promos and other colored plastic. I've bought a lot of nail sticks at Sally Beauty but none have this exact grit--they're all either rougher or smoother. The black one is champs for taking minor scratches out of clear plastic, too, which can then be polished to crystal clarity with the other two. (There are many other sticks that do final polish as well, but not the initial scratch removal).  I spent $9.50 (including tax) today just to get four of those black ones (they're double-sided) and consider it money well spent, that's how much I love the things. :wub:

Happy Happy Joy Joy! :D

1 minute ago, Deuces said:

I got mine at the local dollar stores around the neighborhood..... You should try those out.... ??

Believe me, I've tried them all. None of them carries this particular set or any comparable sticks to that black one in this set. 

On 10/13/2018 at 12:59 PM, Snake45 said:

Believe me, I've tried them all. None of them carries this particular set or any comparable sticks to that black one in this set. 

Have you tried these Snake..?     I think the 4 way buffer they offer are the best I've found ..They have small sticks and larger blocks... I really like these and get them at my local beauty supply.

4 hours ago, D. Battista said:

Have you tried these Snake..?     I think the 4 way buffer they offer are the best I've found ..They have small sticks and larger blocks... I really like these and get them at my local beauty supply.

As a matter of fact, yes. I have a couple of pink ones that are #400 on one side and #600 on the other and they're pretty darn good when those grits are what I need. I also have one of the Large 3 Ways. The black side of it is the closest I've found to the black ones in the Trim package, but not quite as good. The white and gray parts are also okay but not as good as the Trims. Thing is, it wasn't cheap. I think I paid $2.99 or even $3.99 for one of these 3 Ways, whereas I was getting the three Trim boards--each double sided--for about $2 at Walmart.