Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '32 Ford Street Rod Classic Cruiser

Greg Myers

32Ford_R0882.jpg

This is truly a kit with a LONG pedigree. It started out life in the mid-1960s as the "Little Deuce" and had a Pontiac 389 engine and an optional up-top. It was re-issued in the early 1970s molded in orange and having customizing touches by Tom Daniel as the "Son of Ford" The kit was revised again in 1986, the Poncho mill being replaced by a smallblock Chevy with a single four-barrel with large chrome air cleaner, rams horn exhaust manifolds leading to narrow under-chassis separate exhausts with Thrush-style mufflers, and big-n-little tires with wire wheels. This kit stayed in the Monogram lineup well in to the 1990s when it was again revised with chrome steelie wheels with 1940s style FORD dog dish hubcaps and custom louvers on the hood top and sides, and the up-top went bye-bye. It had a very short release under the Revell label with a die-cut cardboard McDonalds diorama display, and then showed up as a MotorWorks special for Wal-Mart minus the diorama. This same kit was issued in 2006 in Revell's "Basic Builder" series, and this Monogram "Classic Cruiser" is a re-boxing of that last issued kit. (If I left out any reissues, guys, please let me know - I did this one from memory!)

How is the kit? For its age, actually, pretty good. Low points are the chassis and fenders being a one piece unit, the too-spindly dropped front axle and the vintage Model A/Model B rear suspension setup, and the too-skinny exhausts. The Mouse motor isn't too bad and could stand some extra detailing. Its nowhere near the topnotch-quality of the later Revell 1/25 scale '32 Fords, but it IS buildable.

Hope that helps a little.

I bought the newest boxing of this kit a couple of months ago and just want to pass the word along that the molds are getting bad. The body is rough around the edges and the lower rear is actually missing some material. Doesn't look like a short shot just worn molds. However, it will still make a good looking Deuce roadster.

grumpy gus

How is the kit? For its age, actually, pretty good. Low points are the chassis and fenders being a one piece unit, the too-spindly dropped front axle and the vintage Model A/Model B rear suspension setup, and the too-skinny exhausts. The Mouse motor isn't too bad and could stand some extra detailing. Its nowhere near the topnotch-quality of the later Revell 1/25 scale '32 Fords, but it IS buildable.

The one gripe I have is that grille- it's a touch wider at the bottom than at the top, and when compared to a 1:1 Deuce shell (or even the grille from a Revell or AMT '32), it has a kind of Quagmire-from-Family-Guy 'swollen jaw' look. The other gripes I have are all ones Larry pointed out, but they aren't as big a fly in the ointment to me. I do concur that it is a very buildable kit, has LOTS of potential, and won't give you too much fuss during assembly. I've bought a few of these JUST for those front radius arms and spider caps!

Just one ... sort of. This kit also formed the basis for abominable "Little Deuce Coupe" three-window kit of the late '80s. R-M created the wildly inaccurate three-widow body by simply grafting a three-window greenhouse onto the roadster body. If I'm not mistaken, it was with that issue that the kit gained the steelies and dog dish caps, which were about the ONLY useful parts in the Little Deuce Coupe kit!

I guess that just goes to show how eminently forgettable that Rockin Rods series issue really was, Ken! B)

I bought the newest boxing of this kit a couple of months ago and just want to pass the word along that the molds are getting bad. The body is rough around the edges and the lower rear is actually missing some material. Doesn't look like a short shot just worn molds. However, it will still make a good looking Deuce roadster.

grumpy gus

That been the case for a while now. I bought one of the MotorWorks editions from a local Wally World back in 2004 or thereabouts, and that lower body wear was present then - I had to graft on some sheet styrene at the rear.

It would really be nice if R-M could restore this tool to the original 1964 "Little Deuce" for all of us waxing nostalgic - and fix the worn body lowers while they are at it.

Edited by larrygre

When Monogram reissued a lot of their Ford hot rod kits in the "Early Iron" circa 1972-1973, the Duece was also reissued in that series, this time with a photo of a black box art model. I built that one when it was released but I haven't found a photo of that one so far.

B)

That one got by me...thanks Mark. You're right, I remember the black Early Iron Deuce.

Looking at the box art of all of the issues, the Little Deuce just plain looks the best to me.

I saw this one at Michaels Arts and Crafts last I waz there... Good thing I read this before buying it. Though this one dosen't sound too bad even with the wear on its bottum aera. :lol:

Oh well, at least I would be paying $7 with mah coupons rather than hackin' up $17+ that some "been through the eco slump" retailers charge for it... (though $13 at my LHS would've been OK if I didn't think far into the future on how BAD it would be :lol:)

Jeez! I had the 'Little Deuce'... complete in box... like maybe just ten years ago. I traded it away like a dummy. I was really into GT40's at the time, and I got several built-up junkers for it. The guy said he really wanted it... but what he wanted it for was to sell or trade with another guy we both knew. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

STOOPID QUESTION- Is the grille with the vertical bar up the middle in the Little Deuce kit actually in the box, or was that just artistic licence on the part of the illustrator?

That grille was included in the Little Deuce issue, not sure if it made it into the Son Of Ford issue. The Little Deuce and Big Deuce were actually based on a real car, with magazine coverage in at least one major mag. If you like I can get the exact issue info

And Larry, the up-top made it back into at least one issue of the 32, the one that came with the diecast included, from the early 2000's

That grille was included in the Little Deuce issue, not sure if it made it into the Son Of Ford issue. The Little Deuce and Big Deuce were actually based on a real car, with magazine coverage in at least one major mag. If you like I can get the exact issue info

And Larry, the up-top made it back into at least one issue of the 32, the one that came with the diecast included, from the early 2000's

Son of Ford had the standard grille that kept on into all the kits we know today.

Thanks for the update re the Amigo Pack kit with the bonus diecast - I had forgotten about that one!

This is a terrific kit for a beginner, despite its age the tooling seems to have held up fairly well. It was issued not too long ago under the Revell nomenclature, which no doubt caused a bit of confusion with this and the mid 1990's era '32 Roadster street rod kit (and all its spin offs) we've come to know and love. Man, I wish Revell, Monogram, and or Revell-Monogram would just pick a brand name and STICK WITH IT!!!! :P

(And yes, I know the company is just Revell now. B) )

• 1 year later...

I'm 99% sure the full-size car was built to match the Big Deuce kit, not the other way around.

The up top was still in the McDonald's issue too. That's the first issue of the roadster to use the steelie wheels and Ford caps that were originally made for the Beach Boys coupe version.

I'm 99% sure the full-size car was built to match the Big Deuce kit, not the other way around.

The up top was still in the McDonald's issue too. That's the first issue of the roadster to use the steelie wheels and Ford caps that were originally made for the Beach Boys coupe version.

Actually, Don, Darryl Starbird built the 1:1 in 1964 and Monogram created the Big Deuce kit later from the full-sized rod. The Little Deuce came along even later as an effort to capture more of the modeling market from kids who couldn't afford the 1/8 scale Big Deuce. Both kits were quite popular.

I believe it was the Big T that was designed by Starbird for the Monogram 1/8 scale kit before they commissioned him to build the corresponding 1:1 rod for promotional purposes.

B)

Edited by Danno