Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project LongStar July 15/12 Update

39_452-vi.jpg

39_434-vi.jpg

This. This being a NRC Industries Heavy Incident Manager or HIM for short. This one is mounted on a KW while mine will be mounted on a LoneStar.

1000700hw-vi.jpg

Kinda like this. This is also a NRC wrecker but just a straight wrecker as opposed to the HIM which is a 80/65 Sliding Rotator (SR).

DSCF4190-vi.jpg

.This is courtesy of NRC and I'll be going to visit the NRC plant this coming Wednesday with Mr. Plaskit (Dan Gailloux) who has known them for years..

Edited by Mr. Can Am Garage

DSCF4263-vi.jpg

Now it gets interesting with the second steer axle in the approximate position and roughly the same deal for the two drive axles. I haven't touched the lift axle yet.

DSCF4264-vi.jpg

The LoneStar's kit sleeper interior has been shortened to fit the resin day cab and thus mocked up just because.

Edited by Mr. Can Am Garage

DSCF4399-vi.jpg

The LongStar has been moved to my familiar Garage and the second steer axle is on for good. Next up will be it's shocks and the actual steering gear.

Why so little progress? Aside from life getting in the way, I spent a couple of hours today walking around the Industries NRC facility today. Sure wish cameras were allowed but they weren't. I do have a better idea on how certain parts are constructed on the 1:1s and that will help in scale.

it's all looking pretty good so far..........except the second steer axle is way too far back. that truck should have about 120" spread on the front steers and 120" between the second steer and the lift.

Actually not. John has pics, and basic drawings from NRC of this rig, with all the pertinent dimensions--the second steer axle is that far back, in fact just aft of the front wall of the wrecker body. I have been aiding John in some of the dimensions for this project--he's got it very right.

Art

Actually not. John has pics, and basic drawings from NRC of this rig, with all the pertinent dimensions--the second steer axle is that far back, in fact just aft of the front wall of the wrecker body. I have been aiding John in some of the dimensions for this project--he's got it very right.

Art

cool, i guess i looked at it all wrong. the pic of the one to one has the front steer on a line and the second steer on the next line and the lift on the third line.........parking spots are marked at 10ft wide which would make the spreads 120" roughly. sorry but i was just offering some advice before the build went to far, i will keep quiet now.

cool, i guess i looked at it all wrong. the pic of the one to one has the front steer on a line and the second steer on the next line and the lift on the third line.........parking spots are marked at 10ft wide which would make the spreads 120" roughly. sorry but i was just offering some advice before the build went to far, i will keep quiet now.

Trust me. John has simplified drawings from NRC for this wrecker, with dimensions, and I've helped John confirm those dimensions. This rig is legit!

Art