Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Ford Galaxie, Done! 11/16

StevenGuthmiller

Finished up the last of 3 clear coats this morning. The paint is still wet & has a little leveling to do, but it will still require some polishing to give a good smooth finish. So far, I'm pretty happy with the way it's looking. Now it's on to the interior work! :rolleyes: Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Looking great. I wouldnt worry about polishing, factory paint back then, or largely even today was not show car smooth.

I know Lee, but I could never seem to leave any orange peel on my builds. Call it an obsession of mine. :) Besides, I left enough orange peel on my models when I was a kid for both of us! :D Steve

The tires I'm using for this build are the AMT "Deluxe Champion" parts pack ones. I use them for a lot of these old AMT promo style wheels because their hollow & the wheels just pop right into them. No muss, no fuss! :) Plus the look great! Steve

That is one VERY helpful bit of information, Steve - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a little time @ the bench today getting some foiling done. It's always exciting to me to get the foil on these '50s cars. It really starts making them come to life! Got a pretty good start on the interior too. Starting the detailing on that as well. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Maybe these old models are simple in design, but AMT sure got the overall look correct. It looks great.

Thanks guys. These one piece interior tubs are the real challenge. Getting them to look half way decent without cutting them apart & re-doing them, or replacing them altogether, is an exercise in patience! :) Steve.

Thanks guys. These one piece interior tubs are the real challenge. Getting them to look half way decent without cutting them apart & re-doing them, or replacing them altogether, is an exercise in patience! :) Steve.

Beautiful detail. I have a question, how do you foil around the raised detail on the dash, like radio knobs and clocks without tarring the foil???

Beautiful detail. I have a question, how do you foil around the raised detail on the dash, like radio knobs and clocks without tarring the foil???

Good question Carl. On this one I got lucky. All the dash detail is pretty flat so it wasn't too difficult. When the knobs are more pronounced, I just sort of go around them & finish them with a dab of silver paint. Everything else I just piece together. Sometimes it's easier to use several pieces rather than one large one. This one has three main pieces, the trim to the left & right of the instrument cluster, & the cluster itself. Steve