Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welcome to Hazzard County...

Mark B

Wow Mark. That tire stand is awesome. The tires need some white tire identifier stickers on the threads and they'll look brand new unless he's selling used tires.

I love the thought!  I'll consider it as an added detail.  But given it was supposed to be small town rural Georgia in 1980(ish), he could well be used tires; that was probably the implication.  I'm also just going by what I saw on screen- never saw any of the stickers, but at least one tire on the rack was wrapped, so I might add that.

• 2 weeks later...

Simply awesome!  Are the gas pumps scratch built?

Thanks!  Yes the pumps are scratchbuilt; I made one, then took a mold to produce the the one.  I did steal the chrome details and hose from a set of Unique Replicas gas pumps. 

Mark

Edited by Mark B

This project is like peeling back an onion with the amount of details- every time I get one layer done, I noticed another layer of things in the same pictures I've been staring at for 5 years.  Its weird what you DON'T see when you are looking for something specific.  I just noticed the other day that the back door has a door closer thingy at the top.  After doing a quick google search for some reference, I find it is in fact called a 'door closer', and the one in question is a 'vintage' style.  Its one of those every day objects we've all seen a thousand times in our life, but never focused on.  Fortunately for me, a 'vintage door closer' is shaped awfully similar to a piece of plastic model kit sprue in 1/25 scale!

Then there are the fan belts: turns out that 1/25 fan belts are pretty much identical to small hair 'elastics' (discovered thanks to my two daughters!).  The bad news: they only had rainbow colored ones.  The good news: found a package of 500 in black at the dollar store for... one dollar.  Felt a little weird buying them as they are apparently made for African-American folks' hair, so I got a coke and some peanuts to draw attention away from it. icon_smile.gif

20288390019_671c2559e8.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

20481089611_66964363d1.jpgUntitled by mommydawn2000, on Flickr