Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black tires into white?

Is there a paint that could be used to paint black kit tires white? A paint that will actually dry on the vinyl and not still be sticky six months from now, and not flake off when the tire is flexed (as when putting it on the wheel)?

I would suggest trying the rattlecan automotive interior dye products made by SEM, etc. They're formulated to adhere to and dry on vinyl, and they don't rub off. I've used them very successfully on vinyl interior restorations, with people repeatedly getting into and out of the car, flexing the upholstery. They also dry with zero orange peel.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Found at your typical auto parts store, I assume?

Yes, at some. Also automobile bodyshop /paint supply stores. Sometimes on Amazon, others online. There are similar products from other manufacturers, but I've had good results with everything from SEM.

SEM-15-3.jpg?1319028805

SEM38343.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Any non-enamel paint will dry on vinyl tires, there's a chemical reaction that occurs between vinyl and enamel paint.

I've typically used Tamiya XF-2 for airbrushing white walls and Vallejo for handbrushing white letters, but I've yet to try either on a tire that has to flex a lot when being installed. Vinyl upholstery dye in a spray can (from the local auto parts store) is reported to work well in that situation, I have some to try, but have yet to test it out.