Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 scratch built resin kit? Honda Insight?

Hello there. Is there a professional resin kit maker that can build a 1/24 scale model of the 2001 Honda Insight? I personally drive one every day and I'm dying to have a model kit of it.

I have a 1/43 scale die-cast model of it from Ebbro which I repainted to match my real car, and I have a Hot Wheels toy of it from the Japanese Ultraman series.

There was a 1/32-24ish scale toy car of the Honda Insight done up for the Ultraman series. It was a pull-back toy with a little police siren ontop. I had one about four years ago and destroyed it for an RC experiement that went horribly wrong. Now I totally regret touching that toy as it is a very, very, very, very, very rare toy and I doubt I'll ever find another one.

So, I am dying for a 1/24 scale model of my Honda Insight.

This one isn't exactly mine, but mine look's exactly like this one.

250px-Honda_Insight_.jpg

So can somebody make a 1/24 scale resin model of this car? I'm not too concerned about interior details, chassis details et'c. I just want a really nice basic kit to build from. I beleive everybody should have a model kit of their own car and I'm really mad that there ISN"T one of the unique Honda Insight! There are dozen's of toy's and models of the ugly Toyota Prius. Sorry to those who drive one, but why is the Insight left out in the model world?

An interior would be nice, but big concentration is on the body, windows, chassis, and a set of wheels. How much would it cost to have one custom made?

Edited by FujimiLover

Fuji,Welcome to the BEST site on the web! Have you tried Hobby Link Japan? They have ALOT if different Import kits and they just may have your car. They get their stock right from Japan(so they say) so they MAY be able to get one for you. At least it's worth a try. Hope this helps. :)

Fuji,Welcome to the BEST site on the web! Have you tried Hobby Link Japan? They have ALOT if different Import kits and they just may have your car. They get their stock right from Japan(so they say) so they MAY be able to get one for you. At least it's worth a try. Hope this helps. :)

I have visited Hobby Link Japan lot's of times but have had no luck. I purchased that old Ultraman series Honda INsight toy car from Toy East about four years ago I think it was.

I don't want one for RC use, but would be nice to have one for display. Problem with RC use, is since the Insight tapers to the rear, meaning it's narrower in the rear than the front, it would require a completely custom rear end for RC car. The only hope for that to work, would be useing Kyosho's MA010 AWD Mini-Z car, converting it to front wheel drive, and have a custome Y-shapped rear section made to bring the rear wheels closer together to fit inside the body.

When I tried RC'ing the first one back then, we didn't have the AWD, all we had was normal rear wheel drive and it was impossible to get the rear to fit properly. So I tried some body modifications to widen the Insight and that's where I fouled up. Again, wish I never touched that rare toy.

Last two years I've been in communication with one of the employee's at Toy East, and they were helping me search for another toy, but I've never heard from him so I take it he never found it either.

Still, it beg's to question. How much would it cost to have a custom resin kit made of this car? Even just a basic shell display model, meaning, body, windows, chassis, and wheels? Again, interior would be cool, but not needed if it makes it cheaper to not have interior.

To your suggestion, I just had a search through Hobby Link Japan and they had NOTHING.

Edited by FujimiLover

As you have found, there are no kits of the Insight. You could easily spend $2-$3K on getting one professionally designed/built from scratch. Basically if you want it bad enough that's the kind of ballpark it would take for scale layouts and getting it built.

You might try to start w/a Fujimi CRX and do a lot of cutting/hacking/modifying to get it in the ballpark. Would have to be a labor of love. Financially it would be a nightmare, as someone who would do a master for one would have to sell a lot of resin to recoup the up front costs, and this one is a very limited market. If you were thinking more like $100-$200 you'd end up more along the lines of an expensive soap carving that wouldn't look very good next to your other models.

can't help you with a resin kit, but I might be able to offer help finding the 1/32 toy again. I used to buy stuff on yahoo japan auctions all the time thru a proxy service, I managed to get a few rare items that way, including the very rare fujimi Mugen Crx for about 20 dollars, and an ever more rare Nissan Sileighty dealer brochure... you do have to pay a fee when going thru a proxy, but sometimes its the only way to find something.

Try www.rinkya.com

I am signed up with them, though i've never used them, but they have been around for a long time., the one I used to go with isn't around anymore.

Hope this helps

Gray

Aw thank's man, that would be awesome. I've searched, and searched, and searched ebay via looking for Ultraman stuff, Honda Insight stuff, and found nothing. Only thing I can find is that tiny little Hot Wheels model that I already own. I can provide you with a picture of what the toy look's like.

It's basically a silver Honda Insight with blue/orange graphics, an Ultraman logo on the door, and a blue police siren on top.

I'm not entirely sure what scale it is, some say 1/32, some say 1/24. All I know is it fit's 1/28 scale RC car chassis.

If I ever do get a hold of another one, all I want to do to it is to delete the police siren, and paint it to match my car. I promise no body-mods! :P

I can probably send you PayPal payment in a month or so. So if you would search for it, I'd highly appreciate it!

Will post pictures of the Hot Wheels version soon. If I can find my old picture of the toy it'selfe, I'll post that instead.

That Fujimi Honda CRX 89 model has always been my favorite and a very rare find indeed. I remember SEVERAL years ago being in Paris, there was a hobby shop that had a ton of'em. I think Revell was going to produce one identical but in their 1/25 scale tuner series. Some reason, they scrapped it and cancelled the kit.

Edited by FujimiLover

can't help you with a resin kit, but I might be able to offer help finding the 1/32 toy again. I used to buy stuff on yahoo japan auctions all the time thru a proxy service, I managed to get a few rare items that way, including the very rare fujimi Mugen Crx for about 20 dollars, and an ever more rare Nissan Sileighty dealer brochure... you do have to pay a fee when going thru a proxy, but sometimes its the only way to find something.

Try www.rinkya.com

I am signed up with them, though i've never used them, but they have been around for a long time., the one I used to go with isn't around anymore.

Hope this helps

Gray

I have tried to search for my old pictures of the toy car it'selfe but had no luck. The only picture I have is of the Hot Wheels version.

UltramanCosmosHondaInsight.jpg

I've already got this one sitting ontop of my computer. What I'm after, is the larger version and again, not sure if it's 1/32 scale or 1/24 scale or some where in betwee. It's almost the same size as Fujimi's 89 Honda CRX, maybe a tad smaller. It comes on a flat card-type package with bubble-cover. It's pull-back toy with a lighted siren. On the very bottom of the package I beleive it sais it's made by Yatmig if my memory serves me right, could be a sister company to Bandai not sure.

I've exausted my search on ebay time and time again and I'm very surprised it's not on there. I dont' know how many were made in the first place, but I can't beleive it's that rare. I originally paid around 20-30 dollars for mine at www.ToyEast.com, but that was like I think maybe 3-4 years ago? Dont' know what they cost today if one can even be found! I've not yet looked through any of the Japanese, or Chinese auction sites or e-stores as I can't read anything but English, LOL! I'm willing to pay up to 130 dollars for this toy, anything more than that seems rediculous. The toy itselfe has got to be in mint condition. A few scratches maybe okay as long as the window's and lenses and important bit's are perfect.

Hope the picture of the Hot Wheels version can help you help me find it. I really truely miss that toy and wish I never touched it! And I desperatly want another one!

I have seen the same toy available in another package form, more like a box and probably toy-RC maybe?