Model Cars Magazine Forum

new. primer

Richie, I have used numerous different types of paint as a primer. I generally use Color Place flat white as a primer. It goes on smooth and covers well and best of all, is easy on the wallet. A dollar a can at Wal-Mart. So, to answer your question, No you don't need to use a model specific primer.

It doesn't have to be model specific, but it does have to be plastic freindly. Some types of primer are too hot for use on styrene, they'll actually melt the plastic, causing crazing anf etching of the surface. Rustoleum is one to avoid, as it is very bad about doing that. Duplicolor is the popular choice, I use it myself, in both spray cans as well as their Paint Shop premix in quarts. I also use Valspar tractor primer from the local TSC, which also works very well.

The hobby primers do have their places, though. I find that Tamiya primer works best for doing small parts and figures, I keep a few cans on hand just for that.