Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Impala Pro Touring/Surf Wagon

Randy Kern

This is the '65 Chevy Impala station wagon resin kit from Modelhaus, combined with the Monogram '65 Chevy Impala SS. My first car was a '65 Impala, and I love wagons, so I built one that I'd like to have in my garage! I had intended to do this for a club theme build (last year :) ) but it got sidelined. The Modelhaus resin body was nearly flawless, with only minor clean-up. The interior only had a couple pin holes, and needed just a little shaving to fit the chassis and wide rear tires. Vacu-formed 'glass' was supplied with the kit, and the windshield was ok, but I made new glass from acetate for the rear side windows.

I wanted this to have more of a visual impact than a lot of detailing, so I did it as a curbside. Wanting to keep it clean, I shaved all the emblems and door handles. Paint is Dupli-color Med. Marblehead (a dark silver) and Toreador Red. The hood is from Drag City Castings, and surf boards from a parts vendor at my club's (CPMCC) annual contest, the Super September Showdown. Tires and wheels are Revell, along with an early 'Vette steering wheel and column mounted tach. I also added embossing powder for carpet, also on the console for texture, and aluminum tubing exhaust tips.

Thanks for looking, and surf's up!

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

Wow Randy...that is stunning! I like your build concept on this, looks vs detailing....if you don't get the stance, color, wheels, and tires right, all the detailing in the world won't save the model...you nailed it. This thing is just beautiful.

Aloha...Pete :)

Edited by Flatout

Thanks for all the kind words, I consider my club and this forum's member's critiques the highest honors you can get. Raul, glad to hear the Bonny's getting around! Roger, those wheels are in the '64 Chevy pickup 'California Wheels' kit, the '59 Corvette and the '69 Shelby Mustang.