Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Wood Revival Proxy Race Poll

Jairus

intropic2-vi.jpg

The cars posted below were all built by members of a fellowship of modelers and builders all over the world. They replicate Formula 1 and Formula 2 period correct racing cars 1949 to 1960 when men were men and few kits were available. So... to that end, each of these cars has been completely scratch-built using only wood for the body, vintage slot car parts for the chassis and wheels. A few of the details were sourced from model kits and modern hobby shops shelves... but nothing you see here would look out of place at a vintage slot car meet circa 1965!

We had over 20 entries started but only 8 completed and mailed in. All have been tested and the first race is coming up mid January.

I tried to set up a voting poll but the system as it is, only allows 5 answers to each question. I need 8 answers to the one question.... so simply pick the car by entry number and post please.

Please look over the cars and post your vote for which machine you think more closely full fills the task.

Edited by Jairus

5th is a bit of a dark horse. Don found this one on ebay. Looking it over it seems to be actually from the era we are replicating. Testing on the track it actually runs VERY WELL! So Don entered it as a ruler to measure our more modern creations against.

Don Siegel #7---1/24--- Bob Scarab

IMG_1609copy-vi.jpg

IMG_1610copy-vi.jpg

IMG_1611copy-vi.jpg

IMG_1612copy-vi.jpg

I have to say all of the cars are beautiful works of art, especially considering they are hand carved out of wood. To me it's very close between #10, the Mercedes W196, by Bruce "Wayne" Frye and #01, the Maserati 250F, by Jairus Watson. Guess I'll pick #10 by Bruce for my top choice.

By Modern standards Jairus Watson's #01 Maser wins: accurate shape and proportions, best paint finish, best driver, best detailing, best integration of the chassis to the body. My runner up is the #22 Connaught by Régis Baron which succesfully captures the shape and proportions of 1:1, has the cool leaning-forward driver figure and an equally well integrated chassis. And of course for shear 60's soul the Scarab deserves an Honorable Mention!

Edited by Bernard Kron